Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I talked to an SA earlier this evening and he said that very thing when I was contemplating changing my order. Northeast with rough roads and ice and snow and aggressive low profile 21’s don’t mix well.
FWIW my Benz S550 came with 20" rubberband wheels, summer tires (fun flats). I got them off ASAP with 20" all season (but not run flats). They didn't make 20" run flat all seasons in the widths I needed (AMG wheels). Then the NJ roads got me - 4 flats in about 8 months, including a cracked rim. Basically, the car was too heavy for the 20" non-run flats. I then got replica 19" rims, 19" all season run flats, and it's been great since. Moral - I want the most rubber I can get between the rim and the pothole laden road. (and forget about what driving in NYC is like!) Your mileage my differ (pun intended) but I didn't give the larger wheels a second glance for that reason. Even if the larger wheels were less expensive I'd go for the smaller ones. Just my .02.

can almost guarantee that within a few weeks, RPM or some other site will have aftermarket options for the walnut wood. As far as the black interior, good ceramic window tint on all windows is the answer. As far as black exterior, personal preference. My brother ONLY buys black cars. I buy anything BUT black cars. lol
Already plan on ceramic tinting all interior windows, including the windshield. Makes a huge difference. I just worry about the exterior soaking up the sun and now the interior as well. Plus I loved the white look with the black exterior. As badly as I would want a car today, I think I am going to stick firm to my black/white order. Although, if he found one with 21s - I would probably take it.

Picked up the car today! Looks and feels great. SA told me they delivered 5 so far this week at the Charlotte location I guess including some Plaid models. Unfortunately they were learning about the cars at the same time as me so it wasn't as seamless as you would think. But enjoying it so far. Good luck to everyone!

@ppats87 Can you confirm any differences from Plaid to LR? Other than the motor/performance - are the windows double pane, interior, radio/speakers, software, etc.?

Last edited:
Reactions: Danlbrau
FWIW my Benz S550 came with 20" rubberband wheels, summer tires (fun flats). I got them off ASAP with 20" all season (but not run flats). They didn't make 20" run flat all seasons in the widths I needed (AMG wheels). Then the NJ roads got me - 4 flats in about 8 months, including a cracked rim. Basically, the car was too heavy for the 20" non-run flats. I then got replica 19" rims, 19" all season run flats, and it's been great since. Moral - I want the most rubber I can get between the rim and the pothole laden road. (and forget about what driving in NYC is like!) Your mileage my differ (pun intended) but I didn't give the larger wheels a second glance for that reason. Even if the larger wheels were less expensive I'd go for the smaller ones. Just my .02.
I had AMG wheels on my 2015 CLS 550 but not the low profile ones. Routes 287 and route 1 took out at least 4 tires on me in a 3 month span. I believe 2 went on the exact same pothole. I lived in middlesex county at the time. Ray Catena MB offered tire insurance back then. I took the insurance and it paid for all 4 tires -$50 deductible each time.
Since Moving to LA I have not had those issues. Roads here are not great but none of those sudden concrete to asphalt changes and potholes.

Last edited:
Can you confirm any differences from Plaid to LR? Other than the motor/performance - are the windows double pane, interior, radio/speakers, software, etc.?
Does not appear to have many differences. So far plaid is quicker and has a spoiler. They no longer have the red calipers that also used to show you paid more for the S performance.

if I had bought a new plaid I would be pissed. I really like the colored calipers. I am considering having my LR calipers painted. I loved it on my last black car. Not sure which color I would use. At least it would not seem like I am trying to be a Plaid poser. Just like the looks. Have to wait for delivery to see if I like without painted calipers

Attachments

• 0EA5A474-9326-46B7-B3C7-2379FF8B36E1.jpeg
    0EA5A474-9326-46B7-B3C7-2379FF8B36E1.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 83
Already plan on ceramic tinting all interior windows, including the windshield. Makes a huge difference. I just worry about the exterior soaking up the sun and now the interior as well. Plus I loved the white look with the black exterior. As badly as I would want a car today, I think I am going to stick firm to my black/white order. Although, if he found one with 21s - I would probably take it.
my opinion? Stick with what you really want. If you want white interior and you know thats your #1 choice? Be patient, wait, and get it. Better to be patient for a few weeks/couple months vs not being patient and then for years, always looking back and thinking "i like this car a lot..but man..if I had only waited a bit to get the white interior"

Been there before..done that.

• Love
Reactions: cwanja and Sbaimo
Does not appear to have many differences. So far plaid is quicker and has a spoiler. They no longer have the red calipers that also used to show you paid more for the S performance.

if I had bought a new plaid I would be pissed. I really like the colored calipers. I am considering having my LR calipers painted. I loved it on my last black car. Not sure which color I would use. At least it would not seem like I am trying to be a Plaid poser. Just like the looks. Have to wait for delivery to see if I like without painted calipers
arent the rear quarter panels wider on the Plaid than the LR but a small amount? Thought I read that somewhere.

my opinion? Stick with what you really want. If you want white interior and you know thats your #1 choice? Be patient, wait, and get it. Better to be patient for a few weeks/couple months vs not being patient and then for years, always looking back and thinking "i like this car a lot..but man..if I had only waited a bit to get the white interior"

Been there before..done that.
Appreciate your thoughts and keeping me from jumping off a cliff hah. That is my wife's feeling, although she personally "loves black on black" for cars. The only drag I have with the white interior is the walnut - I am not a fan of the lighter tone wood. Loved that my previous S was white with black interior.

All that said, looking more at Omar's photos and Tesla design studio and I think the walnut is not as light as I think it is. With the exception of when the sun hits it. Can tell the difference in Omar's driving videos.

The way I see it is that the LR had black caliper well before the Plaids. It is the Plaid that is trying to pose as a LR.

Appreciate your thoughts and keeping me from jumping off a cliff hah. That is my wife's feeling, although she personally "loves black on black" for cars. The only drag I have with the white interior is the walnut - I am not a fan of the lighter tone wood. Loved that my previous S was white with black interior.

All that said, looking more at Omar's photos and Tesla design studio and I think the walnut is not as light as I think it is. With the exception of when the sun hits it. Can tell the difference in Omar's driving videos.
For what it is worth, the black / black that was offered yesterday is already gone. Not surprising.

awesome. question for you. I notice no chrome badging on the rear of the car. I do not want any badging on mine either. Did you request the SC to take that off upon arrival at the SC, or did you request that it not be applied during production? Thanks
It came like that. I didn't get a choice but I agree I like it without it.