Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds familiar. Had a VIN and appt confirmed for this Friday the 24th, but now the VIN is gone, no appt listed and EDD is back to 30-31 Dec.

I did talk to someone at 1800-tesla last friday and they were expecting the car to arrive on the 23rd. Who knows.
And... my EDD was pushed to Jan 18th-Feb 15th. I had a VIN, confirmed delivery appt, & signed MVPA for this week!

@JeffN @IamGaryGnu I hope your cars are on the way across the country, looks like mine isn't.

And... my EDD was pushed to Jan 18th-Feb 15th. I had a VIN, confirmed delivery appt, & signed MVPA for this week!

@JeffN @IamGaryGnu I hope your cars are on the way across the country, looks like mine isn't.
I'm not holding out hope. I spoke to Tesla on Saturday ( the day my VIN disappeared ), and the very knowledgeable and polite agent said that I shouldn't expect the vehicle in 2021. He further said that anyone who previously had a VIN assigned ( and subsequently taken away ) would be marked as a priority.

And I politely told him that I'll believe it when I see it. And he politely said that he absolutely understood.

I'm not holding out hope. I spoke to Tesla on Saturday ( the day my VIN disappeared ), and the very knowledgeable and polite agent said that I shouldn't expect the vehicle in 2021. He further said that anyone who previously had a VIN assigned ( and subsequently taken away ) would be marked as a priority.

And I politely told him that I'll believe it when I see it. And he politely said that he absolutely understood.
Yeah dont shoot the messenger and all that.

My prior belief was a soft match had you in a batch of cars, and then then VIN would magically get assigned to you - seemingly before transit. Now? All bets are off.
I do believe from my call yesterday that the VIN will get assigned when production is completed, the SA used the term "stamped" - I haven't looked closely at the S VIN but on every car I've had, I think the door panel is laser etched or stamped or something, and the dash seems to have some sort of riveted plate (but I can be mistaken)
I see no way to get that dash plate there unless there's either no windshield yet, or if it is inserted into the dash somehow - either before the dash is inserted, or slapped into the dash.
Either way, to me that means the VIN has to be inserted/installed BEFORE production is complete, but possibly not assigned until the car passes certain benchmarks.
unless they know they have a zillion of a certain set of colors/interiors, etc. going to a locale, i'd imagine they'd want to hard match the VIN to the purchaser, instead of building and shipping on spec and hoping there's enough demand for the combination of colors and wheels.
just my .02
Generally, automobile manufacturers assign VINs before production when all of the commodities needed for the build have been verified. Before a VIN is assigned, there is an order number/reservation number/"dummy" VIN that is used as a placeholder until parts and build slots line up. I've never heard of a VIN being assigned AFTER a car is produced and I have thirty or so years in the industry. (Damn, I suddenly feel old.):rolleyes:

Agree, slowed and many pushed back that expected Dec. could be I’d say:

- adding X to line
- revamping some fixes into prod they have noticed, fixing common problems
- some changes like new tail lights/other parts being integrated
- supplier issues; chip and parts shortage is actually getting much worse again.
- labor issues, shortage at factory, delivery centers, suppliers, and transportation
I can't see how production has slowed when there are probably 200 new Plaids sitting at stores all over the country. The push back of 1150-1151 LR's from December to Jan/Feb, seems to be too much of a coincidence to ignore. I believe the decision was made to built all the Plaids they could and hope they would sell. From a matter of the convenience of not having to wait for a LR build. To people who are sitting on a discounted (through price increases) LR orders. I was contacted by my SA yesterday, asking if I was interested in a Plaid. It might not be the color or options I want, but they wanted to offer that option. 🤨
I think Elon just wants to pad the year end bottom line. Lets see how many Plaids are available on New Year's day.

Can anyone please tell me how to change or get assigned a new SA? Because my SA is probably the worst useless SA I ever had. Whatever question I ask her she just tells me my EDD (which I can easily find on my account page) and leaves and doesn't bother answering my actual question.
They are just as clueless as you. Getting a new SA isn't going to help, at least she's replying. My SA hasn't said anything for 6 months.

Anyone else heard Model S Line in Fremont closes 12/24 for 18 days, just like last year? DAErik video, says internal memo. This just b/s or Could this be the re-tooling for the new tail lights? 31 mins in
They have done this in the past. If it is true, then I would expect them to make the switch to the new tails.

My SA called me offering a blue LR with 19’s, same as mine except the color. They won’t honor my 89k price because the color is different. Ugh!!! Of course I passed on it. 😣 That hurt.
No body called me. I have emailed them in the past that I am not going to pay the price hike as I ordered mine on 6/10 but willing to pay the price difference for the color choices.

Reactions: chrisdh79
No body called me. I have emailed them in the past that I am not going to pay the price hike as I ordered mine on 6/10 but willing to pay the price difference for the color choices.
That’s a fair trade. Sad they won’t accept the price I agreed too. They’re getting my price either way, and the next will be the higher price. So doesn’t make sense to not accept my offer.

Reactions: bhakan