Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Tesla think that a car delivered at EOD counts for more than a car delivered on first day of quarter? What am I missing? Is the customer service at time of delivery better at the beginning of the quarter since there is less of a rush?

Nah, I think the nervousness usually comes for cars built by Tesla in that last month, people feel they rush build them with quality issues out the door. The delivery centers are also thought to not check deliveries as well due to being swamped. Could apply for cars the first couple of weeks into next quarter too. If this is the case, the sweet spot would be cars getting build at the beginning of a new quarter and delivered first two out of 3 months in a quarter.

Reactions: Jbapckfan
Nah, I think the nervousness usually comes for cars built by Tesla in that last month, people feel they rush build them with quality issues out the door. The delivery centers are also thought to not check deliveries as well due to being swamped. Could apply for cars the first couple of weeks into next quarter too. If this is the case, the sweet spot would be cars getting build at the beginning of a new quarter and delivered first two out of 3 months in a quarter.
Musk said the worst time to buy is during a ramp up for these reasons.

In KC as well, will let you know if I see anything. I drive by the state line store on way to one of the hospitals I work at… it is brutal…. Have not owned a Tesla yet. Planning to get MS LR eventually, same config as you but likely black exteriOrder is for white interior but wouldnt turn down black interior, called SA
Order is for white interior but wouldnt turn down black interior, called SA and told him this, but we ALL know how that goes

Are most of you trading in your current vehicle or selling elsewhere? I can get much more on my current car from CarMax but I'm not sure how to time the selling of my current car and picking up my LR (Whenever that may happen)

I'm guessing Tesla will give me a time to pick up my car and I can go sell my current car the same day? Is that the way to do it? Any risks?

Are most of you trading in your current vehicle or selling elsewhere? I can get much more on my current car from CarMax but I'm not sure how to time the selling of my current car and picking up my LR (Whenever that may happen)

I'm guessing Tesla will give me a time to pick up my car and I can go sell my current car the same day? Is that the way to do it? Any risks?
My plan is to buy the Tesla when I get the call (if it ever happens) and get it in the driveway. Then take my Chevy Tahoe to Carmax to sell it.

OK, my initial review....

The good:

The yoke makes freeway driving better. The view out and more so the view of the very high resolution dash is amazing. Feels like you are much further forward with clear visibility ahead. Also great for me resting hands and keeping AP happy. The yoke is much wider than I was expecting. Like it or not, it is the signature feature of the car and makes it feel more special. I now think it was a wise choice.
Materials inside are very nice
One click AP on the wheel is much better.
AP is much more confident. It worked fine in the 3 for a freeway drive, but this just makes more, finer adjustments. Probably software versions, Vision AP might be really good...
Sound system seemed amazing to me.
It is faster than I need, and I race cars. It isn't Plaid fast (though haven't tried that) but really for a street car it will beat everything. Did not test high speed on the street.
Carpets are much nicer than my P85.
Hatch motors are much quieter.
Front brakes are giant, rears do not look as good, but are very nice for the street.
2 key fobs and 2 card keys and phone app seems excessive, but you can choose what you like. They all seem to work well.
Sales/delivery people were very nice and helpful.
The adjustability of the suspension is pretty impressive. Seems to make a difference, but I need to push it more to really know.
UI adjustability is very nice. Drag and move things works well.
Fit and finish seem perfect. It does have some water spots, but new cars are never detailed very well. Next on the list and will look over the car more thoroughly then.
Big tires, slight flares and front splitter just give it that extra aggression compared to older S's

The not so good:

I miss the energy graph - please bring it back!
Not quite as quiet as I had hoped, still very good- much quieter than my 3, and it is very consistent. My 3 was quiet on smooth pavement, not so much on rough or grooved pavement. This is much better in bad conditions. Hopefully noise cancelation will make it even better - Lexus versus Audi quiet.
Car is definitely bigger than the 3, not as sporty, more luxurious and roomy.
Steering does not have Porsche feedback
I wish they kept the horn in the middle. I don't use it much, so I won't be trained to cover the right side. Very easy to do, but not second nature.
Turn signal might be an improvement, but they are awkward at first. Will wait and see on this one.

Very happy and need to go for a good daytime drive on roads I know.

Don’t know if this will help you at all: Carmax will give you a 7 day guarantee from the day of the appraisal. I sold my Jeep on Carvana and they gave a 30 day or 1000 mile guarantee on the appraisal.

Reactions: d1ez3
I'm so happy for you. The thing is I can't believe why they didn't match that red for me even though I live in Irvine which is very close to you and had earlier order number with exact same configuration.

That MSM seems freaking sexy though
I’m even closer in Yorba Linda. I call ”dibs” on the red one even though I would have to change my color.

Last edited:
OK, my initial review....

The good:

The yoke makes freeway driving better. The view out and more so the view of the very high resolution dash is amazing. Feels like you are much further forward with clear visibility ahead. Also great for me resting hands and keeping AP happy. The yoke is much wider than I was expecting. Like it or not, it is the signature feature of the car and makes it feel more special. I now think it was a wise choice.
Materials inside are very nice
One click AP on the wheel is much better.
AP is much more confident. It worked fine in the 3 for a freeway drive, but this just makes more, finer adjustments. Probably software versions, Vision AP might be really good...
Sound system seemed amazing to me.
It is faster than I need, and I race cars. It isn't Plaid fast (though haven't tried that) but really for a street car it will beat everything. Did not test high speed on the street.
Carpets are much nicer than my P85.
Hatch motors are much quieter.
Front brakes are giant, rears do not look as good, but are very nice for the street.
2 key fobs and 2 card keys and phone app seems excessive, but you can choose what you like. They all seem to work well.
Sales/delivery people were very nice and helpful.
The adjustability of the suspension is pretty impressive. Seems to make a difference, but I need to push it more to really know.
UI adjustability is very nice. Drag and move things works well.
Fit and finish seem perfect. It does have some water spots, but new cars are never detailed very well. Next on the list and will look over the car more thoroughly then.
Big tires, slight flares and front splitter just give it that extra aggression compared to older S's

The not so good:

I miss the energy graph - please bring it back!
Not quite as quiet as I had hoped, still very good- much quieter than my 3, and it is very consistent. My 3 was quiet on smooth pavement, not so much on rough or grooved pavement. This is much better in bad conditions. Hopefully noise cancelation will make it even better - Lexus versus Audi quiet.
Car is definitely bigger than the 3, not as sporty, more luxurious and roomy.
Steering does not have Porsche feedback
I wish they kept the horn in the middle. I don't use it much, so I won't be trained to cover the right side. Very easy to do, but not second nature.
Turn signal might be an improvement, but they are awkward at first. Will wait and see on this one.

Very happy and need to go for a good daytime drive on roads I know.
Did you try the wipers? The wiper motors in my current 2017 S are loud as hell.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
Does Tesla think that a car delivered at EOD counts for more than a car delivered on first day of quarter? What am I missing? Is the customer service at time of delivery better at the beginning of the quarter since there is less of a rush?
Every dollar at end of Q is much more important than that same dollar on July 1. They could give a scheisse about July 1 deliveries in June. All about rev max for the Q. I do hope and expect delivery service to be better in July and August

Last edited:
My plan is to buy the Tesla when I get the call (if it ever happens) and get it in the driveway. Then take my Chevy Tahoe to Carmax to sell it.
This is what I plan to do too. Cant afford to be without a car and Tesla seems to make last minute delivery changes. Figure take delivery and make sure that there are no major issues that will warrant servicing. Maybe even try to schedule ceramic coating while I still have my other car.

order FSD 5 minutes ago to avoid license fees.
what does this mean?

In some states, the annual registration fees for license plates/tags is based on the total price of the car. If you add FSD after purchasing the car, that makes the original purchase price of the car cheaper and could reduce the annual registration fees for 5 years or more.

Finally!!! Ordered December 11 and this morning had a VIN. My estimated delivery date has already changed 3 times today (all within a few days of each other). Below is a screen shot of the latest.

MS LR White/Black + arachnids (arachnids were in my original order submission).

6148837E-D5D0-40A3-A2D1-C49E1A20AAAB.jpeg

In some states, the annual registration fees for license plates/tags is based on the total price of the car. If you add FSD after purchasing the car, that makes the original purchase price of the car cheaper and could reduce the annual registration fees for 5 years or more.
Also, Biden’s proposed EV tax credit was going to apply to sub $80k vehicles (before it got shot down) so you could have bought a bare-bones Model S, gotten the credit, and then added the FSD later. Would have been a great work-around. Might not get the colors/wheel combo you wanted but could always wrap it and change wheels.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker