Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Larger wheels. Just like an ICE vehicle (take a truck for example) - if you lift the truck and put larger tires, takes more rotations to to turn the vehicle and you get worse miles per gallon. And thus in an EV, more consumption from tire rotations = less range. That is probably way oversimplified. But what it boils down to.

Wait a second, is this right? A larger-diameter tire needs less rotations to move the same distance vs. a smaller-diameter tire.

My understanding is that larger tires reduce efficiency due to two factors: 1/ they're heavier, and 2/ increased rolling resistance (i.e. larger moment due to larger distance from wheel center to where the tire meets the ground).

Yes, but wait till you hear this... My sister ordered 9.85Kwh TSLA Solar Roof & 2 PWalls in Feb. 2021. Signed a contract and had site survey done by LIDAR, satellite views, (and humanoid too). Was in permitting process with PG&E when TSLA jacked up her price by 40%! No explanation, no remuneration, just veiled threats that her "place in line was not held, and if she didn't agree to new pricing, she'd go to the back of the que"! So upsetting F%>&$#%! She bailed and got her $100 deposit back w/o any apologies or anything to suggest why they were so far off with the first quoted price. Bait and switch class action, I told her.
Yes, but wait till you hear this... My sister ordered 9.85Kwh TSLA Solar Roof & 2 PWalls in Feb. 2021. Signed a contract and had site survey done by LIDAR, satellite views, (and humanoid too). Was in permitting process with PG&E when TSLA jacked up her price by 40%! No explanation, no remuneration, just veiled threats that her "place in line was not held, and if she didn't agree to new pricing, she'd go to the back of the que"! So upsetting F%>&$#%! She bailed and got her $100 deposit back w/o any apologies or anything to suggest why they were so far off with the first quoted price. Bait and switch class action, I told her.
Sorry to hear that. While I by no means had a smooth process, I did not have that issue. Ordered last august, installed this may.

Product has been great, customer support not so much.
Sound familiar?

Wait a second, is this right? A larger-diameter tire needs less rotations to move the same distance vs. a smaller-diameter tire.

My understanding is that larger tires reduce efficiency due to two factors: 1/ they're heavier, and 2/ increased rolling resistance (i.e. larger moment due to larger distance from wheel center to where the tire meets the ground).
Respectfully, I believe the consideration should be a [same size] wheel "with" aero caps vs. One "without" aero caps. Correct me pls if I am wrong..m

Reactions: Danlbrau

The 21s and the 19s WITH tires installed are the same diameter/circumference. 19s have a taller sidewall to “makeup” for the 2 inch difference in wheel diameter.
I can safely assume the tire wheel combo of 21s is heavier than the 19s. Especially since both are cast.

The 21s and the 19s WITH tires installed are the same diameter/circumference. 19s have a taller sidewall to “makeup” for the 2 inch difference in wheel diameter.
I can safely assume the tire wheel combo of 21s is heavier than the 19s. Especially since both are cast.
AGAIN, NOT guaranteeing I am right, but I believe the largest variable here ref aero caps, vs no aero caps is aerodynamics. There are additional very small parts of the equation.

Reactions: Danlbrau
@Danlbrau I suspect many 19 orderers changed to 21s in hopes of getting their cars quicker. For those that stuck with 19s, they might get rewarded for doing so. I ordered on 7/29 and have an a narrowing EDD range (see sig), with a worse case date less than a month from when I ordered.
No doubt some Plaid 19” orders switched to 21s, but I think the Plaid buyer would generally be more 21” than LR buyers. One, because they clearly aren’t trying to maximize range, also they are more performance oriented, so the 21” take would naturally be higher.

The main point is Plaids probably won’t be a major delay in rolling out LR 19” wheel orders. I would think most pre-refresh orders would be delivered by first week of September, unless there are other supply constraints (white interiors, etc).

Reactions: Kablaam
Perhaps not a perfect or great analogy - trailing edge flaps on an aircraft create both LIFT & DRAG! There is a point where as flap position increases, you might realize more drag than lift. Next time you are a passenger on a commercial aircraft and able to view trailing edge flap positions on BOTH takeoff AND landing, on 1 specific type aircraft, takeoff flap position might be 10 vs. 30 or 40 for landing. The technicalities can be rather complex...

I expect aerodynamic drag from the open 21" rims is the main detractor vs the smooth flat surface of the pedal car hubcaps I am getting ! Even the weight not so much as the range of the car is never stated with how many occupants (or fat boys like me) are in it....

I expect aerodynamic drag from the open 21" rims is the main detractor vs the smooth flat surface of the pedal car hubcaps I am getting ! Even the weight not so much as the range of the car is never stated with how many occupants (or fat boys like me) are in it....
Sir, I suspect you are spot on; BTW, I'm glad I'm NOT the only "fat boy" here!!

Ohhh! Got it, that makes sense, didn't think about the tire sidewall differences. That said, we still have the weight difference that can explain the range diff. Complete guess, but I'd bet the weight difference is the bigger factor driving lower efficiency than any aero diffs due to wheel geometry.

Reactions: cwanja
Hi, New member here from Vancouver BC. I had a EDD of September which went blank over the weekend. I spoke to my SA and he informed me that I should now expect Feb / March and that Tesla will shortly be releasing an announcement outlining the issues and delays. After what I have read here I wont hold my breath for that. I'm hoping that this is another speculation from my SA manager.

For info, MS LR white 21" Black interior FSD. RN114957296. Ordered late May.

I had a nice conversation with the good folks at TSportline. They do not have the 19's out just yet, but hope to have several options by the December, possibly earlier.
Their 20" wheels are currently $5,700.00 so it's going to be some trick to produce 19's for, what, less than half that? I had this same conversation with Martian Wheels who are trying to have something out by the end of the year and I gently reminded them that the end of the year will be too late for people who need to buy a second set of wheels/tires for winter driving. The Michelin summer tires are only formulated for temperatures down to 45 degrees F.

Exact same thing happened to me. Waited about six months for Tesla Solar to start work on my solar roof, and before they began was presented with a $42k contract vs. the $28k in their initial estimate. Also power production dropped 30%. I swear if I had t had such a good experience with my prior Model S I’d have walked from my current order months ago. Shady as hell business practices from every company under the Tesla umbrella.

Larger wheels. Just like an ICE vehicle (take a truck for example) - if you lift the truck and put larger tires, takes more rotations to to turn the vehicle and you get worse miles per gallon. And thus in an EV, more consumption from tire rotations = less range. That is probably way oversimplified. But what it boils down to.
I think the rotational mass of more unsprung weight as well as less attention (in this specific case) to aerodynamics of each wheel are bigger contributors.

Reactions: FrenchB4
Exact same thing happened to me. Waited about six months for Tesla Solar to start work on my solar roof, and before they began was presented with a $42k contract vs. the $28k in their initial estimate. Also power production dropped 30%. I swear if I had t had such a good experience with my prior Model S I’d have walked from my current order months ago. Shady as hell business practices from every company under the Tesla umbrella.
AGREED!!!!!

AGAIN, NOT guaranteeing I am right, but I believe the largest variable here ref aero caps, vs no aero caps is aerodynamics. There are additional very small parts of the equation.
Here's one observation that makes me think aero isn't as big of a factor as weight: if you look at the Model 3 order page, the 18'' aero wheels look a whole lot different than the 19'' sport wheels, but range does not change when switching between the two. Weight is similar, with the aero 23lbs and the sport 25lbs. Also the moment of inertia difference going from 18 to 19 is smaller than going from 19 to 21 as moment is proportional to radius squared.

All that to say... the Model 3 scenario shows the same range between two tire choices where the "only" difference is the shape of the wheel. Hence why I don't think range diffs between our Model S tire choices is driven by the aerodynamic-ness of the wheel morphology. Of course, all this goes out the window if the website is bugged or something :).