Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll comment on your first point: My wife and I had the same concern. We considered getting a Lucid ( who will let you test drive only by putting a refundable deposit first ), and scheduled a test drive with Mercedes for their EQS. But in the end, despite no ability to test drive the new Model S, we are sticking with our Tesla Model S order, which is expected to arrive between mid Jan to mid Feb 2022 ( ordered in May 2021 ). We decided to do this for three reasons:

1 - We've owned a Model 3 for two years now, and absolutely love it. Based on our experience with the Model 3, we trust the Model S will be superior.
2 - We do road trips enough where the supercharging infrastructure is important to us. When you look at the existing charging infrastructure that these other non-Tesla vehicles would have to use ( Chargepoint, Electrify America, etc. ), they are not conveniently located ( most of them are in malls ), and there aren't a lot of them. So if you plan to do any long distance driving, non-Tesla vehicles will be challenging.
3 - To get the same features of a Model S, you will have to spend more money, especially for a Mercedes EQS.

I hope this helps.
My son works for MB in Japan. He gets to drive and test all the new models that are not yet released to the public. He has been raving about the EQS. He is coming home for a 2 week visit around Christmas.

It would be wonderful if my Tesla Model S LR arrived early enough for him to spend some time driving it. Are you reading this Elon? Where is my VIN? 😁

My EDD floats as well and is Dec, 10th to Dec, 24th. I'm ready to accept delivery when (and if) invited however I have 2 concerns.

1. I never test drove the car. Dealers have no cars for test drive. I do drive 2014 Tesla S now and I'm familiar with the brand, however I'm expecting better ride in MS LR being newer improved model. I'm also thinking of jumping the ship going to Mercedes EQS that is available now and I test drove one already. I feel that it is inappropriate for Tesla to expect me to shell $100K+ for a car that I never test drove. What are your thoughts on that.
2. I see hundreds of used Tesla Plaid and Tesla LR for sale on cars.com. The ones that have only few hundred miles I understand are speculators. However I see many cars for sale that have 5K to 15K miles on them. This group of sellers looks like they tried the car for few months and are selling because they are not happy with it. Any comments on that?

I'm right there with you on the first point. We held off on ordering the Model S for several months because we wanted to test drive it first, and it cost us a $5K price increase (in retrospect, could have been worse). We justified the order by telling ourselves they'd start making test drives available before we'd take delivery of the car. Well, every time the quarter they said test drives would be available neared, it got pushed out (sounds familiar?).

For a while their test drive webpage just showed an infinite spinner. One day in November, to my surprise, the system let me schedule a test drive for the Model S, and on the next day! I called the site the next day to confirm. "No Model S test drives expected until at least Q2 2022. Would you like to come in and test drive the Model 3?" Uhh, no thanks.

We did the Mercedes EQS test drive event yesterday, and I'll be honest I was a little bit underwhelmed. I guess my expectations were inflated by a YouTube video describing the experience as "magical." Yes, it was quiet and the interior's luxury is commensurate with its price. But it wasn't "magical" enough to compel me to buy one.

In fact it's entirely possible that if I were to test drive the Model S, I would just cancel my order. We test drove one in 2019 and passed on it - my wife said the interior feels like a Prius's. What I've gathered is the Refresh's interior is significantly improved, but still a step down from luxury vehicles in the same price range. I'm sure Tesla's primary reason for not offering test drives is simple economics of selling every car they make to meet demand, but I also wonder how many sales Tesla would lose from picky people like me. More than they would gain?

I had not contacted my SA since September so I decided to ping them yesterday. Here’s the text exchange in case it’s of interest.

Hi [SA]. How are you?

Hello [rdmdriving]
I am well, how are you?!

Glad to hear you’re doing well [SA]. We’re also doing well, thanks. I was wondering if you’ve got a 2022 VIN matched to my Model S order yet. RN1151xxxxx. EDD has moved around quite a bit but now shows Dec 16 - Dec 31. I’m flexible if a different configuration pops into inventory.

Happy holidays! It looks like your vehicle is slated to come out of the factory in mid to late January 2022. “

I'm right there with you on the first point. We held off on ordering the Model S for several months because we wanted to test drive it first, and it cost us a $5K price increase (in retrospect, could have been worse). We justified the order by telling ourselves they'd start making test drives available before we'd take delivery of the car. Well, every time the quarter they said test drives would be available neared, it got pushed out (sounds familiar?).

For a while their test drive webpage just showed an infinite spinner. One day in November, to my surprise, the system let me schedule a test drive for the Model S, and on the next day! I called the site the next day to confirm. "No Model S test drives expected until at least Q2 2022. Would you like to come in and test drive the Model 3?" Uhh, no thanks.

We did the Mercedes EQS test drive event yesterday, and I'll be honest I was a little bit underwhelmed. I guess my expectations were inflated by a YouTube video describing the experience as "magical." Yes, it was quiet and the interior's luxury is commensurate with its price. But it wasn't "magical" enough to compel me to buy one.

In fact it's entirely possible that if I were to test drive the Model S, I would just cancel my order. We test drove one in 2019 and passed on it - my wife said the interior feels like a Prius's. What I've gathered is the Refresh's interior is significantly improved, but still a step down from luxury vehicles in the same price range. I'm sure Tesla's primary reason for not offering test drives is simple economics of selling every car they make to meet demand, but I also wonder how many sales Tesla would lose from picky people like me. More than they would gain?
Being new to Tesla and never having gotten to test drive the refreshed Model S, I am not sure I would have purchased it if I did get a chance to test drive it.

I need more time driving my Model S LR, but so far I am not blown away by it compared to my outgoing 2021 BMW 5 Series. Besides being an advanced EV, I really can’t believe it is a $95k car. Except for the positive of it being an EV, it is no where near as refined driving/smoothness as my 5 Series, seats are not as comfortable as BMW’s multi-contour seats, Tesla media center is cumbersome compared to BMW’s, especially when paired with HUD. For example, with BMW I can have different presets as favorites (Sirius, FM/AM) and with Tesla they are all separate, which require clicks to get into each one. I really thought Tesla was a tech company like Apple was, but so far not seeing that.

Autonomous driving is very similar between Tesla/BMW too when compared on freeway driving.

People complain about buttons on BMW‘s and other cars, but Tesla makes you look at a big screen with multiple clicks do things, where BMW I can use my HUD controls or the little wheel in the middle to quickly get to stuff.

Tesla needs a genius number, like BMW does, as the adjustment to everything in Tesla, plus the EV part is fairly large. There local service centers have no time to do that anymore. You pick up your car and that is it. That has to change as more people convert to Tesla.

I am not trying to be a downer, but I am really hoping as I drive a lot more in the next couple weeks, that I will like it more. I was expecting to be blown away by it. I do love the exterior of the Model S and think it is one of the best looking cars on the road. :)

Was at one of local delivery centers today and they were packed to the gills with new deliveries. Looks like chaos. Only saw maybe 5-6 model s. Out of probably 50 ish cars. Most were plaids too. 🙄.

Attachments

• 95F6E5BE-369D-459B-BE51-D0BD55FBF317.jpeg
    95F6E5BE-369D-459B-BE51-D0BD55FBF317.jpeg
    613.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 9A015DF0-DD6B-46CF-B581-552835695036.jpeg
    9A015DF0-DD6B-46CF-B581-552835695036.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 76
This morning I Entered the EDD range for the fourth time with no VIN. Nothing much to update other then a few friendly exchanges with two cool SAs couple days ago when dropping off our ‘22 M3P. Apologies in advance for minor cross-posting.

First - they determined that the frunk hood was manufactured “out of spec”!!! An out of spec Tesla Panel!!! 😂😂😂 So they ordered a new hood to be arriving in early January.

Second - asked the two SAs to take a look at the status of my MSLR. SA #1 at drop off couldn’t tell me much other than I am definitely getting it this month. Then later SA #2 at pick up showed me his screen. The system only showed the same EDD range as in my App and nothing more. He unsuccessfully looked for more information and said that meant it’s still in a soft-match status.

As with the prior three times, I should get a new EDD range tomorrow usually pushed out and narrowed a bit.

So, until tomorrow, back to waiting…

Ceramic paint protection done! 80 miles of driving done. What a dream car. Good luck to everyone waiting, it's worth the wait! A huge THANKS to all of you on this forum during the last 9 months. Kept me sane, and you all provided a lot of valuable advice, and a LOT of laughs!
What's the story with the spoiler? Looks great.

Delighted to see a flood of deliveries and VIN assignments in the last week.

My own order is holding at Dec 10-31 (3 week window), and no VIN.

Haven't been this close to an EDD before, but fully expecting a push to Feb, especially in light of Elon's admonition against an EOQ rush.
Same here with a late August order. I was told to expect delivery in March when I called the customer service number. Don't know why they can't update EDD to reflect whatever they are seeing in the internal systems.

This morning, EDD was holding at 12/05 - 12/14. I logged in again around noon and saw this. Yippee!!! 🤩

New EDD is 12/04 - 12/10 with a NF460 VIN. I've got lots to do in the next couple of days to finalize sale of current car, financing, insurance etc. These are nice problems to have. 😊 I hope this is a sign of what's soon to come for the rest of you who've been waiting so long.

Attachments

• Tesla 2022.jpg
    Tesla 2022.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 70
Ceramic paint protection done! 80 miles of driving done. What a dream car. Good luck to everyone waiting, it's worth the wait! A huge THANKS to all of you on this forum during the last 9 months. Kept me sane, and you all provided a lot of valuable advice, and a LOT of laughs!
View attachment 740606View attachment 740607View attachment 740608View attachment 740609
I see your front license plate was removed did you do it? If so, what method? Fishing line? Heat? Getting my white/cream Friday.

Picked my MSLR up today. I have read a lot of things on this thread.

My experience - the car now has 350 miles on it. I enjoyed driving each one.

The yoke was easy to adapt to. If you grew up “palm” steering then you will adapt quickly to the yoke. It is friggin awesome.

The fit and finish is very good. This car looks awesome in black on black. The suspension is not harsh. It is pretty smooth for a vehicle that is this quick. The MSLR is a rocket ship. The launch is an incredible rush. I would hate to do it in a corner though. I am sure it is easy for an inexperienced person to put these cars into a wall.

1638658943804.png

View attachment 740606View attachment 740607View attachment 740608View attachment 740609
Your car looks awesome @Louiedog! Can you give the details of the detailing (so to speak)? Is that ceramic only (no PPF)? Which ceramic coating? How many applications? Did you do windows? Headlights? Cost? Did you have them do “paint correction” or leveling first? Whatever your derailing shop did it looks great. Well done!

Reactions: BruinIvy
This morning, EDD was holding at 12/05 - 12/14. I logged in again around noon and saw this. Yippee!!! 🤩

New EDD is 12/04 - 12/10 with a NF460 VIN. I've got lots to do in the next couple of days to finalize sale of current car, financing, insurance etc. These are nice problems to have. 😊 I hope this is a sign of what's soon to come for the rest of you who've been waiting so long.
Fantastic and congrats!!! Lots of photos please. Love to see some white/cream combos!! 😀😀