Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid/LR Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some newly EV owners might prefer creep and low regen to simulate ICE rolling behavior.
There doesn’t seem to be an option for low regen mode on this model. It’s high regen only and will stop when you lift off the accelerator. Still.. with an all-out fire who know what kind of signals the controls systems were getting/giving before they quit completely.

There doesn’t seem to be an option for low regen mode on this model. It’s high regen only and will stop when you lift off the accelerator. Still.. with an all-out fire who know what kind of signals the controls systems were getting/giving before they quit completely.

Others here have said that they select the low regen mode. Though I haven’t specifically looked as I prefer the defaults.

How does you living there have anything to do with which way the car was moving after the driver apparently exited? Unless you witnessed it yourself, you living there is totally irrelevant.

One thing you could do if you lived there is take a look at the final burn spot (the spot is probably still visible on the road) and see if it is uphill at that location.

Mike

How does you living there have anything to do with which way the car was moving after the driver apparently exited? Unless you witnessed it yourself, you living there is totally irrelevant.
Because I've driven/biked/walked/jogged down Rose Lane thousands of times. I live here where rose branches off with another road. Nothing fud or controversial. I see where the car is and which way it is going in the pic. Uphill. If I have some reason to stop home from the shore in the next couple weeks,I'll walk down and take a photo. We also have a Ford and guy with an airplane in his front yard. Very quiet, wealthy neighborhood.

But no one can actually verify the car was moving or the facts alleged. The location and final direction are facing uphill, sure. But Teslas self drive and immolate.
X2. What did the witness say? It was rolling forward on fire then exploded and stopped?

Btw, you won't find edge/center lines on these roads. A few years ago street crews put a center line down fishers road. Someone said something and crews were back with a machine scraping the lines off. LoL.

It sounds like the owner panicked and tried to open the door in D before the car was completely stopped. Once he got out, some of the controls that lock the car in place might have been damaged by the fire and allowed it to creep forward. FWIW, I might have made the same mistake. If I see smoke and/or flames, my first thought might be to slam the brakes and then I'd be thinking "OUT" so I try the door button before thinking to put it in park. I'm not sure what failsafes the S Plaid has that would prevent you from opening the door but a sense of panic could certainly prompt you to do the wrong thing or the right thing at the wrong time. The creeping forward after exit could have just been damaged controls.

Mike

Others here have said that they select the low regen mode. Though I haven’t specifically looked as I prefer the defaults.
Low Regen was removed as software option about 1.5 years ago (on new cars only), so Tesla could hit a certain fleet EPA mileage rating. Very annoying actually, given Low Regen is useful when some passengers get motion sickness from heavy Regen.

Reactions: BM3B
Low Regen was removed as software option about 1.5 years ago (on new cars only), so Tesla could hit a certain fleet EPA mileage rating. Very annoying actually, given Low Regen is useful when some passengers get motion sickness from heavy Regen.
If people get motion sickness from high regen, blame the driver. Drivers can modulate heavy regen in order to avoid motion sickness. Don’t let their foot totally off the accelerator like they do for gas cars.

But it is unfortunate they removed the option.

Literally can't go forward if you're not in the car unless several things went wrong and I doubt the driver would escape unharmed while these systems melted to failure. I'm not buying the rolling while on fire bit. Everything smells fishy and I'm waiting for more info since Teslas can't do what is alleged. I think they needed to do more research on the finer details of the story.

If the car was so damaged and still kept driver unharmed, then sign me up.

Battery pack fire I can believe and I'm worried about my LR order a little but Tesla will either sort it out by delivery or I'll wait until they demonstrate safety to my satisfaction.

Reactions: VikH
If people get motion sickness from high regen, blame the driver. Drivers can modulate heavy regen in order to avoid motion sickness. Don’t let their foot totally off the accelerator like they do for gas cars.

But it is unfortunate they removed the option.
You are correct that careful pedaling can avoid, but you have to make an effort. My spouse refuses to get a Tesla because she is worried about that.