Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid Steering Yoke shaking at highway speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so is this a 2023 thing? The suspension feels much more refined and better than my 2021 MSP (under 80 mph), but are all 2023 having this issue?
Hmm, I wonder if the factory got ahold of a bad batch of Pirelli's? If I pay careful enough attention, I can still feel a very subtle vibration in the armrest/floor over 80 mph, but I'm also still running the original rear tires with a marginal road force variation measurement. For reference, I'm running 19's, with a Jan 2023 date code on the original tires. The front tire replacement completely eliminated the vibration I had in the steering wheel.

I will be getting a separate set of wheels/tires for winter before too long, so we'll see if that has any effect.

Please keep us posted on what you find at the service center.

Hmm, I wonder if the factory got ahold of a bad batch of Pirelli's? If I pay careful enough attention, I can still feel a very subtle vibration in the armrest/floor over 80 mph, but I'm also still running the original rear tires with a marginal road force variation measurement. For reference, I'm running 19's, with a Jan 2023 date code on the original tires. The front tire replacement completely eliminated the vibration I had in the steering wheel.

I will be getting a separate set of wheels/tires for winter before too long, so we'll see if that has any effect.

Please keep us posted on what you find at the service center.
My 2023 came with Michelins 21”

So car is at service center. They verified vibration. Now here is the part that has me unsettled. The advisor said he talked to the mechanic that sees nothing wrong with suspension, they’ll road force balance again, but said he talked to other mechanic that has a plaid and says his car does the same 75 mph + vibration on highway, and other person there confirmed a demo plaid they drove did the same thing. Said it might be a design flaw or “just the way the car is”. I inquired about Lemon Law territory, and he said it won’t be eligible if all the cars are doing it. I lost a lot of money upgrading from my 2021 and now Regret it big time

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Regarding the half shaft vibration:

With the problem recurring, the owner asked Tesla to purchase his car back under the Lemon Law, a request which the automaker has since denied.

In a recent email exchange between the owner and manager, Tesla has changed their position, now saying the vibration “is a normal characteristic of the Plaid,” and that while they continue to investigate “no repairs are recommended.”

So car is at service center. They verified vibration. Now here is the part that has me unsettled. The advisor said he talked to the mechanic that sees nothing wrong with suspension, they’ll road force balance again, but said he talked to other mechanic that has a plaid and says his car does the same 75 mph + vibration on highway, and other person there confirmed a demo plaid they drove did the same thing. Said it might be a design flaw or “just the way the car is”. I inquired about Lemon Law territory, and he said it won’t be eligible if all the cars are doing it. I lost a lot of money upgrading from my 2021 and now Regret it big time
Instead of just chatting about it, did they actually take you for a spin to show you how the other Plaids have that same vibe when you hit 75mph? Just double-checking that we're on the same page about this vibration situation.

I got to try out three other demo Plaids close to my area. Two out of the three had this vibration through the steering wheel or yoke when I got over 80 mph. And the one that didn't give me any shake-ups was the one with the yoke. And guess what? They were all made in the second quarter based on the manufacturer's stickers said.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Instead of just chatting about it, did they actually take you for a spin to show you how the other Plaids have that same vibe when you hit 75mph? Just double-checking that we're on the same page about this vibration situation.

I got to try out three other demo Plaids close to my area. Two out of the three had this vibration through the steering wheel or yoke when I got over 80 mph. And the one that didn't give me any shake-ups was the one with the yoke. And guess what? They were all made in the second quarter based on the manufacturer's stickers said.

My build was in April. Yep

Ask them to give you new front tires. Mine is an April build too but it’s a lot better than my previous 2021 MSLR. I don’t think the vibration is more than a tire/wheel issue. My car is so much more smoother since the tire was swapped in the front.

I posted this in the other thread instead of this one.

“I’m at the service center and the technician (very experienced) swapped out a front tire that resolved the vibration for me. He said the tire was the problem and likely a Goodyear manufacturing problem. I did test drive it with him and it is significantly better.”

I posted this in the other thread instead of this one.

“I’m at the service center and the technician (very experienced) swapped out a front tire that resolved the vibration for me. He said the tire was the problem and likely a Goodyear manufacturing problem. I did test drive it with him and it is significantly better.”

they did another road force balance. Same vibration. How did they know to swap out a tire?

I have this issue on my 2022 with the 21s on Michelins. They road forced them 4-5 times at this point. Checked for bent wheels and everything.

Ended up swapping down to the 19s with Conti All seasons and it still vibrates over 70. It’s driving me insane. I don’t think it’s the wheels. There’s something else we’re missing.

I have mobile service coming for something else on Monday. Will ask to take a drive.