Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid Steering Yoke shaking at highway speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this issue. The solution was getting my tire's road force balanced twice. The first time was by Tesla; the second was by Porsche (who knew exactly what they were doing). I recommend you take your Model S to a German dealer, preferably Porsche or Mercedes and explain to them you want them road force balanced by the best person in the shop. Balancing is a skill in itself. It requires a real eye for detail. Our cars are heavy, smooth and very powerful, which means any little discrepancy in the counterbalance between the tires and wheels will throw them off like this.

I had this issue. The solution was getting my tire's road force balanced twice. The first time was by Tesla; the second was by Porsche (who knew exactly what they were doing). I recommend you take your Model S to a German dealer, preferably Porsche or Mercedes and explain to them you want them road force balanced by the best person in the shop. Balancing is a skill in itself. It requires a real eye for detail. Our cars are heavy, smooth and very powerful, which means any little discrepancy in the counterbalance between the tires and wheels will throw them off like this.

good info. My brand new 2023 is doing this. Also has brand new tires. Car only a week old

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Beadoc has entered the chat.🤣

I've noticed the same vibration over 80. Haven't done anything about it yet.
Also need to check your front tension arms. Mine has 30k miles on it and both are already have torn bushings. Just saving myself the hassle and putting a set of MPP bushings in there, because these are pretty weak and it'll happen again.

PXL_20230517_150021353.jpg

I took it to discount tire for road force balance. Haven’t taken to service center yet but have little faith they’ll address it
I had a similar issue on my April build 2023 MSP (vibration at 75-80+ on the highway from day one) and figured I'd share what I found. For me, it was ultimately a tire issue.

Took it to the Tesla service center and was pleasantly surprised they were able to do a road force balance right there at the service center. They found both front tires out of spec (35 lb force variation, vs. a target of 20 lb or less) and replaced both front tires for me. This immediately resolved the steering wheel vibration/shake (I do not have a yoke), but I still felt some vibration in the chassis through the center armrest and door at 80mph. Tesla service center told me they had checked the road force balance on the rears and they were "in spec", but never shared what the numbers were. I then made an appointment with Discount Tire for a road force balance of the rears to get an independent look at things. Sure enough, they found one of the rear tires way out of spec (41 lb.) and additionally the "standard" balance was also off by a small amount on both rears (0.5oz). They added some wheel weights to get both rears in perfect balance and remounted the one rear tire to get a better force match (down to 29 lb). This was enough to address my remaining vibration issues. The 29 lb force variation is still technically higher than what Tesla told me their spec was, but I wonder now if they have different targets for front vs. rear (with front balance issues being more noticeable). I'm debating going back to the service center and seeing if I can get a rear tire replacement, but thinking I'll leave well enough alone at this point.

I had a similar issue on my April build 2023 MSP (vibration at 75-80+ on the highway from day one) and figured I'd share what I found. For me, it was ultimately a tire issue.

Took it to the Tesla service center and was pleasantly surprised they were able to do a road force balance right there at the service center. They found both front tires out of spec (35 lb force variation, vs. a target of 20 lb or less) and replaced both front tires for me. This immediately resolved the steering wheel vibration/shake (I do not have a yoke), but I still felt some vibration in the chassis through the center armrest and door at 80mph. Tesla service center told me they had checked the road force balance on the rears and they were "in spec", but never shared what the numbers were. I then made an appointment with Discount Tire for a road force balance of the rears to get an independent look at things. Sure enough, they found one of the rear tires way out of spec (41 lb.) and additionally the "standard" balance was also off by a small amount on both rears (0.5oz). They added some wheel weights to get both rears in perfect balance and remounted the one rear tire to get a better force match (down to 29 lb). This was enough to address my remaining vibration issues. The 29 lb force variation is still technically higher than what Tesla told me their spec was, but I wonder now if they have different targets for front vs. rear (with front balance issues being more noticeable). I'm debating going back to the service center and seeing if I can get a rear tire replacement, but thinking I'll leave well enough alone at this point.

I took it to discount tire yesterday and they road forced balanced with the Hunter Elite and all they told me they found was left was off 0.5 oz and adjusted it. Still feels same on highway at 80+ mph

I took it to discount tire yesterday and they road forced balanced with the Hunter Elite and all they told me they found was left was off 0.5 oz and adjusted it. Still feels same on highway at 80+ mph

As far as I understand it, if the referenced weights are on the scale of ounces, this is related to standard spin balancing and not road force balancing. If the standard balance is off by 0.5 oz, they will add 0.5 oz weight to the wheel to compensate. In contrast, the result of a road force balance should be a couple of orders of magnitude higher (like 10 lb is a perfectly acceptable result where no adjustment would be needed). And the correction for a road force balance issue would involve either remounting the tire to match the "stiff" or "high" point on the tire with the low point on the wheel, or in my case Tesla replaced both front tires.

Maybe see if discount tire can give you the actual road force variation measurement in pounds? I found that discount tire's "normal" spec was higher than Tesla's (30 lb vs 20 lb). So even if discount tire says it's in range, it might be out enough for you to notice some vibration still, especially if it's in the front.

Reactions: Beandoc
As far as I understand it, if the referenced weights are on the scale of ounces, this is related to standard spin balancing and not road force balancing. If the standard balance is off by 0.5 oz, they will add 0.5 oz weight to the wheel to compensate. In contrast, the result of a road force balance should be a couple of orders of magnitude higher (like 10 lb is a perfectly acceptable result where no adjustment would be needed). And the correction for a road force balance issue would involve either remounting the tire to match the "stiff" or "high" point on the tire with the low point on the wheel, or in my case Tesla replaced both front tires.

Maybe see if discount tire can give you the actual road force variation measurement in pounds? I found that discount tire's "normal" spec was higher than Tesla's (30 lb vs 20 lb). So even if discount tire says it's in range, it might be out enough for you to notice some vibration still, especially if it's in the front.

It is in back I think, as feel it mainly in pedal and floor. I have an appt with Tesla next week. I’ll see what they say

Reactions: jacie6056