Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The obvious implication was that somebody could be gaming in the back on bluetooth headset without the person in front hearing. Even if they decide to get rid of the backseat gaming (which I don't see why the NHTSA would affect that since minivans do that right now), that doesn't say anything about the elimination of the planned bluetooth functionality.
Keep in mind, Elon also said NyC to LA 100% hands free/no human input, by end of 2017. And Robotaxi service by end of 2019.

Tesla SAYS a lot of things...doesnt mean its true

So it seems that the following need software fixes at the moment. Any owners feel free to add your input.
  • Dashcam Viewer - fixed in 2021.24 update,
  • XM radio - Added in 2021.32.10
  • Active Noise Cancelation - Renamed to Active Road Noise Reduction - Available in 2021.44.x
  • Clock: Time zone change doesn't always change clock. Inability to manually reset clock - Fixed in 2021.44.25.x
  • Rear Entertainment - No support for Bluetooth headsets
  • Rear Entertainment - Unable to play games
  • Instrument cluster is not customizable
  • Tesla Caraoke missing
  • Energy app missing
  • No screen tilt functionality - Hardware and software related. Cars have tilt mechanism but no motors to move screen.
  • Inability to adjust follow distance via scroll wheel
  • Range mode
The integration of audio sources.. SXM, Spotify, etc with favorites for ease of use is horrible. The non ability to see your stations on the front dash is a major step backwards. a the front dash is useless. Where did the energy window the audio window, the phone window go? It's just looking at a rendering of the outside environment.... Great. But Tesla can't walk and chew gum at same time? Scrolling through your favorite listening stations is impossible to do. For Sirius it just goes to "more like this", then u have to back button to the favorites, and the scroll doesn't even page through them. I like to listen to my 8 favorite stations and that is impossible without drama. For an expensive car it's really a turnoff. My kids cars have a better interface. Let us use Android or Apple Car play.... nope. But... the car farts. This is Tesla #3 for me.. and.. last one unless they fix the software and make it more user friendly. And don't get me started on the turn signal arrows... who thought of that disaster. Half the time they don't turn on. The horn isn't where it should be. Car is a great drive but it's a big step back for driver entertainment and operator interface features.

Model X EPC shows all trim having light and version 1 of the complete tilt motor mechanism. Model S EPC shows the IP trim having light but none in the door trims. It originally showed the version 1 tilt mechanism with no motors, and now shows a version 2 mechanism with new kinds of motors. Despite differences in the catalog drawings, the mechanism assembly has always had the same part number between both the S and X (1607360-00-E). In reality, only one Plaid I've seen out of five has had lights in the IP trim. It also had lights in the door trims. The other four had no trim lights at all. I have yet to inspect a Palladium X.

Confused? So am I. Palladium production has clearly been a complete mess. Yesterday I went to a service center and attempted to order one of the new mechanisms. I say attempted because as I previously noted, they've all had the same part number, and the part example pictures the technician brought up were pictures of the v1 bracket with and without motors. I explained the situation to him and showed him the drawing differences which confused him as well. So the order has been made, and if the part does not match the latest drawing in the S catalog, he'll run it up the chain and inquire as to what's going on with the version control.

As far as retrofits, I have virtually no clue. So far I have yet to actually see a motorized mechanism in person - just drawings and pictures from old service manuals. Once it's confirmed motorized mechanisms are in delivered cars, we can assume Tesla will be adding first party function support, and retrofits - official or unofficial - would be practicality guaranteed.

And for anyone curious as to what the trim lighting is supposed to look like:

View attachment 726070View attachment 726071View attachment 726072View attachment 726073View attachment 726074View attachment 726075

Acrylic light bars with light engines affixed at the ends. The light engines contain a LIN driven RGB LED. I see nothing wrong with the design so my complete guess is these were a victim of the chip shortage, but again they're present in the Palladium X catalog so they may be coming back. The corresponding connectors have been present in every S I've inspected and the connectors are powered. In this particular Plaid, the light engines are likely just not receiving any commands.
Where in the S or X would this light be visible? I have a MXLR that I received March 28, just wondering where I would look to see if I have this light option

Where in the S or X would this light be visible? I have a MXLR that I received March 28, just wondering where I would look to see if I have this light option
They would be along the "bend" or lines of the silver / chrome trim, or the red lines in this image. Pardon my kindergarten school markup.
Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 3.29.17 PM.png

The integration of audio sources.. SXM, Spotify, etc with favorites for ease of use is horrible. The non ability to see your stations on the front dash is a major step backwards. a the front dash is useless. Where did the energy window the audio window, the phone window go? It's just looking at a rendering of the outside environment.... Great. But Tesla can't walk and chew gum at same time? Scrolling through your favorite listening stations is impossible to do. For Sirius it just goes to "more like this", then u have to back button to the favorites, and the scroll doesn't even page through them. I like to listen to my 8 favorite stations and that is impossible without drama. For an expensive car it's really a turnoff. My kids cars have a better interface. Let us use Android or Apple Car play.... nope. But... the car farts. This is Tesla #3 for me.. and.. last one unless they fix the software and make it more user friendly. And don't get me started on the turn signal arrows... who thought of that disaster. Half the time they don't turn on. The horn isn't where it should be. Car is a great drive but it's a big step back for driver entertainment and operator interface features.
I totally agree with this assessment. I am driving a 2017 MX loaner while my 2022 MX is in the shop and it has reminded me how much better the displays worked in my 2018 MX than in my new X

Reactions: maxibenson
They would be along the "bend" or lines of the silver / chrome trim, or the red lines in this image. Pardon my kindergarten school markup.
View attachment 805177
Thanks so much for the excellent clarification.
I will check my 2022 MX as soon as I get it back from service. It's been there since April 29th and I just don't remember. Although this seems pretty cool and I think if it was there I would probably remember.
If it is not present is there a way to activate this lighting?

I totally agree with this assessment. I am driving a 2017 MX loaner while my 2022 MX is in the shop and it has reminded me how much better the displays worked in my 2018 MX than in my new X
Yeah, though the sound in my 2016 Model S was awful compared to my '18 Model 3. The '21 Plaid S is maybe slightly worse than the '18 Model 3, but still way better than my old S. And I had the high fidelity sound package.

Has anyone done a teardown of the audio system? The 2019 MS I had honestly sounded better and the subwoofer was definitely more noticeable. I just can’t understand why if the new MS is rated at 1000 watts and 22 speakers as compared to the old MS being 600 watts (I believe) and 16. The cabin is way more sealed now too especially with thicker windows and less road noise. I really hope that Tesla is restricting the power and can unleash more in the system in the future via software update - pretty disappointed for now…
Yes, the audio system in my new 2022 MX sucks compared to my 2018 MX!!! This is very disappointing because Tesla made a big deal about the audio system improvements. I am driving a 2017 MX 75D and it has a much better sounding system than my new 2022 MX that is in for service. My wife and I immediately noticed how much better it sounds.

Yes, the audio system in my new 2022 MX sucks compared to my 2018 MX!!! This is very disappointing because Tesla made a big deal about the audio system improvements. I am driving a 2017 MX 75D and it has a much better sounding system than my new 2022 MX that is in for service. My wife and I immediately noticed how much better it sounds.
That's really odd. I think exactly the opposite.

I drove a 2019 Lexus rental last week. The audio integration with the driver was way better. Store your favorites, scroll through them on the steering wheel. See phone calls on the dash. Wow... amazing! Another thing that is hard to believe with the LR interface... really hard to fathom... is why the left scroll wheel can only mute a call when you click it... but cannot hang up the phone when you try to click it left or right. So again you have to look at the screen to find the end call button. What am I missing here?

Thanks so much for the excellent clarification.
I will check my 2022 MX as soon as I get it back from service. It's been there since April 29th and I just don't remember. Although this seems pretty cool and I think if it was there I would probably remember.
If it is not present is there a way to activate this lighting?
If it is not present, you cannot activate it. Unclear if there is a retrofit or a way to “hack it” to enable it. Unclear. Not much has been mentioned in that originally linked thread about the ambient lighting in the trim.

Reactions: Great White
Yep, my 2021 MYP sounds way better than my Plaid.

I still think one of the most frustrating features of the new S is how Tesla simply didn't think when putting those scroll wheels in the yoke. They took them directly from the 3 and Y, which has a more recessed surface they slot into, which makes clicking them left and right so easy (on the 3 and Y) as there's enough surface area to make purchase on. On the S, there's much less scroll wheel surface area above the steering yoke face to push those buttons left and right. Those wheels need to be slightly larger for the S. Really annoying.

I still think one of the most frustrating features of the new S is how Tesla simply didn't think when putting those scroll wheels in the yoke. They took them directly from the 3 and Y, which has a more recessed surface they slot into, which makes clicking them left and right so easy (on the 3 and Y) as there's enough surface area to make purchase on. On the S, there's much less scroll wheel surface area above the steering yoke face to push those buttons left and right. Those wheels need to be slightly larger for the S. Really annoying.
I really don't see this as a problem. I've not had any difficulty clicking or scrolling.

Having the car for 3 weeks now, it's happened 4 times where the immersive sound glitches out. The audio only comes out of the front speakers and there's no bass or rear sound, sounding mono basically.

I've texted support and they said it's a software issue and they're working on it. This issue corrects itself, I just don't know how yet. They pushed 12.3.2 again which fixed it for a few days, but it started again today. Ugh!!!

I'm on 12.3.3 as of yesterday. So this version didn't fix it.

Reactions: Great White