Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S Refresh - white interior thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  1. The 'eyes' created by chips in the PPF can be repaired with a hairdryer (or heat gun if you're careful):
  2. I would always recommend a ceramic coating over PPF. It makes cleaning it a breeze and you'll never need to worry about smudges, swirls, scratches, etc.
On any car but a Tesla I would say the cost to fix the paint is probably not much different than preventative maintenance like PPF and coating, but Tesla has the worst paint in the business - it's thin, inconsistent, and comes with defects straight out of the factory. PPF is doing more work on this car than any other vehicle. It's especially true on the Y and refresh S that suffer from rocks chipping the rocker and rear quarter panels due to lack of factory mudflaps.

it's push back day for me

Estimated Delivery: November 16 - December 14​

Oct 20 - November 16 - December 14
Sept 24 - November 4 - November 24
Sept 3 - October 24 - November 13
Aug 17 - November 21 - December 11
Aug 15 - November 20 - December 10
Aug 10 - November 21 - December 11
Aug 4 - Blank
July 23 - Blank
June 21 - August
May 26 - Blank
May 22 - estimated delivery -
March 17 - 10-14 weeks from order date
Same build, same order date, and we wait while later orders are filled. Makes no sense to me. I'm currently December 29-January 18. I am on a list at my MB dealer to test drive an EQS when one comes in.

1. The 'eyes' created by chips in the PPF can be repaired with a hairdryer (or heat gun if you're careful):
  2. I would always recommend a ceramic coating over PPF. It makes cleaning it a breeze and you'll never need to worry about smudges, swirls, scratches, etc.
On any car but a Tesla I would say the cost to fix the paint is probably not much different than preventative maintenance like PPF and coating, but Tesla has the worst paint in the business - it's thin, inconsistent, and comes with defects straight out of the factory. PPF is doing more work on this car than any other vehicle. It's especially true on the Y and refresh S that suffer from rocks chipping the rocker and rear quarter panels due to lack of factory mudflaps.
I've heard that Tesla paint is thin, but never really saw any actual evidence/proof. Then I recently saw this which seems to be a fair review with actual evidence..

and this one

As far as the rear quarters/rockers, I did add front mudflaps to my wifes Y, and really reduced water splash up onto the doors/rockers area. I suspect will also block small stones as well. Didnt install the rears as I never had issues with anything hitting that rear area behind the rear wheels and I preferred the look of no flaps back there.

This article details average car paint thickness

Last edited:
<snip>

Would I purchase PPF again/will I get it on my new refresh S? No. To me, wasnt worth the spend, no value add at sale/trade in time, didnt change offer prices from Carvana/Carmax, etc when I was getting bids to sell my S, and Im also not seeing where there is 100% zero risk of paint lift/damage several years down the line when an owner wants to remove/peel off years old PPF. And lastly, worst case is for the cost of a full PPF install, I'd just get the entire car repainted with fresh paint for same or less price 8-9 years down the line.

I only do PPF on ultra rare cars. Ultimately, you can have a front/rear bumper repainted in OEM paint for $750ish. About the cost of PPF. It doesn't make a lot sense to me to do bumpers. I might PPF the wheel arches as repainting those requires blending into existing paint.

nice, and all season tires! that's what I want.

Thank you so much for this call-out I was spending my time trying to look.

@Aleks0404 - I'm not sure if it has the yoke worm or not. I think it's hard to tell unless you look from a certain angle. I saw two brand new plaids (vin 45xx) in person. Looking through the windows I could not see the yoke worm.

They did also fix the back interior door trim misalignment issues for sure. Both cars looked perfect. @cwanja

@Aleks0404 - I'm not sure if it has the yoke worm or not. I think it's hard to tell unless you look from a certain angle. I saw two brand new plaids (vin 45xx) in person. Looking through the windows I could not see the yoke worm.

They did also fix the back interior door trim misalignment issues for sure. Both cars looked perfect. @cwanja
The plaid I picked up yesterday did not have the yoke worm. It also came with summer tires--the SA told me all performance models are delivered that way.

My wife used to smoke, and in any tv show or movie, she'll call out when a cigarette suddenly changes lengths (from an edit). Me, I'm looking at those tires. I went through the whole summer tire fiasco on my present ride, had a lot of tire issues, etc. and had to get smaller rims to get all season run flats. Not sure the Continentals for the Tesla are run flat, but at least they are all season, and so far I'm not hearing about many flats or weak sidewall issues (like I experienced on my present non Tesla car)

looks like they fixed the Yoke worm with the latest build,s

looks like they fixed the Yoke worm with the latest build,s
All I want is for them to make the center of the yoke the horn, ideally before I take delivery of my car. Then remove the small horn button or make it programmable for other functions.