Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S Refresh - white interior thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to the SC to inspect the veichle. They couldn't make delivery because it failed inspection due to a camera not working. They had to order another camera. How hows when that's going to arrive. At least my car is here.

Sorry to hear about that. Otherwise the car looks pretty solid in terms of gaps and things from what I could see.

Wondering if there is an (exterior) MSM run, then some other color (would need to look at dates to try and figure out), then black, then white. If we use the designer for a template, it’d be working from right to left with no other color between MSM and white then.

I imagine this theory is entirely wrong. But it gives us something to do while we wait.
It's probably white, then MSM, then black. That way, they don't have to clean out the paint guns.

Do you remember back in the day, they would have a Tesla employee drive a demo car out 200 miles for you to take a test drive and let you keep the car for an afternoon?? Those days are long gone
I only date back to 2014...but things have really changed with customer service - the company has achieved so much technically and financially, yet the deterioration in service is so disheartening.

Hope they right the ship as competition starts to appear.

Back on topic, the cars seem to be flowing better - hopeful my EDD of early to mid November sticks!

FINALLY GOT MY VIN !!!!!!!!
I know that it just a car but I haven't been this excited since I was a little kid on Christmas day. Hopefully in two weeks I can post how great the car is.

1635124645297.png

Absolutely gorgeous. Thoughts on overall build quality?. I am taking a delivery between Nov 7- Nov 11.
I went over the car using the checklist that’s on the wiki thread on this board, and I only found two very minor things: the first was that there was a piece of gasket in the panel gap of one side of the hood where it doesn’t belong. Very minor and you’d never notice if you weren’t going over the car with a fine toothed comb. They immediately brought a mechanic out who tried to address it there—he ultimately concluded that the hood was slightly misaligned and they said they’d address it whenever I want at a future service appointment. The other thing I spotted was a bit of dirt on one seat that they promptly wiped clean. It also looked like there might be a tiny tiny rock chip on the leading edge of the exterior glass roof, but it wasn’t big enough for me to bother with. They were VERY invested in making sure the car was perfect throughout the delivery appointment—encouraging me to take my time, wiping down any little spot, answering any question. So I’m quite happy with it. I don’t have the most discerning eye for defects in automobiles, but I think I’m relatively perceptive generally, and it looked really clean to me. We will see if the guys at the detail shop have any differing views when I take it for PPF tomorrow.

I went over the car using the checklist that’s on the wiki thread on this board, and I only found two very minor things: the first was that there was a piece of gasket in the panel gap of one side of the hood where it doesn’t belong. Very minor and you’d never notice if you weren’t going over the car with a fine toothed comb. They immediately brought a mechanic out who tried to address it there—he ultimately concluded that the hood was slightly misaligned and they said they’d address it whenever I want at a future service appointment. The other thing I spotted was a bit of dirt on one seat that they promptly wiped clean. It also looked like there might be a tiny tiny rock chip on the leading edge of the exterior glass roof, but it wasn’t big enough for me to bother with. They were VERY invested in making sure the car was perfect throughout the delivery appointment—encouraging me to take my time, wiping down any little spot, answering any question. So I’m quite happy with it. I don’t have the most discerning eye for defects in automobiles, but I think I’m relatively perceptive generally, and it looked really clean to me. We will see if the guys at the detail shop have any differing views when I take it for PPF tomorrow.
Enjoy. The blue is gorgeous.

View attachment 725178Hi all- took delivery today. The car is spectacular. Wishing you all a short remainder to your wait—I think the last two weeks were more agonizing than the 8.5 months that preceded it.
Looks great, too good for my old stomping grounds - would be the nicest looking car at roll n roaster! Enjoy!

Appreciate the detailed response. I am glad they invested time to make sure you were happy as a customer. Enjoy the beast. I do have a question regarding ppf. Dont want to ask it here. I will send you a separate message and will appreciate if you can provide some guidance.
Thank you

My experience with PPF (for anyone who cares). Had Suntek installed on my hood/front bumper of my former S. Put ~10k miles on the S with the PPF installed.
- Over that time, the PPF had several (not a ton, but noticeable to the eye) areas where Im guessing small stones had nicked the PPF. Nothing drastic, we are talking much less than 1mm in size. Now one could assume that if the PPF wasnt in place, the plastic bumper/metal hood would have been nicked. And one is assuming none of those nicks actually went through the PPF and nicked the paint. (again, we are assuming). Either way, on a dark blue car, when I'd wash/detail the car, those small nicks annoyed me a bit, mainly because over the years, I've become really good at my touch up technique and sanding the edges of a small chip, dabbing a tiny bit of touchup to the side of the nick, then using a gloved finger to smooth the touch up over/into the recessed area layer by layer until I got an even layer. End result was almost 99% reduction in visibility of the former chip to the eye. With PPF in place? I cant do that. I just have to live with the visual imperfection
- I have great experience with Turtle Wax Ice spray wax. (my car is garaged 99% of the time). Wash car, dry with leafblower, gently spray on/wipe off for max gloss and tight water beads twice a month for maybe 10 mins of work. (hence no expensive ceramic coatings for me. No need). The hood (PPF) always required a bit more effort to get rid of smears in certain light vs the non PPF panels. Not a huge deal, but something I noted.
- Traveling on the highway about a year ago, plastic bucket fell off the back of a pickup ahead of me. Could not swerve safely to fully miss the bucket, which ended up hitting the front bumper. Bumper cover needed replacement. Insurance covered all but the $250 deductible and they also paid me the $500 for the PPF that was on the damaged bumper cover. I opted to just keep the $500 and not get the PPF redone.
- Sold the car about 2k miles after the new cover was put on. The new bumper cover had maybe 3-4 tiny stone chip areas on the lower part. I was planning to touch them up, but when I put the car on the market, no one cared about those small nicks. So sold it as is.
- Never had any chips/dings/nicks etc on any other body panels. (Again, car is garaged day/night and I park at far ends of parking lots, with one side of the car parallell to a curb/end spot).

Would I purchase PPF again/will I get it on my new refresh S? No. To me, wasnt worth the spend, no value add at sale/trade in time, didnt change offer prices from Carvana/Carmax, etc when I was getting bids to sell my S, and Im also not seeing where there is 100% zero risk of paint lift/damage several years down the line when an owner wants to remove/peel off years old PPF. And lastly, worst case is for the cost of a full PPF install, I'd just get the entire car repainted with fresh paint for same or less price 8-9 years down the line.