Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model X, Monroney Sticker Range Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, that we definitely can.
Although I am surprised to see my Model 3 charge at the rate of 44 miles/hr but 2020 Model S charges are 38 miles/hr at the same home charger.
that's easy to explain. The charger output power is constant, but model S uses more energy per mile, hence fewer miles per hour. Similarly model X charges even slower on the same charger.

Sorry to hear the G packs haven’t gotten the update. But that must be the reason for H, G has thicker wiring for 250 kW charging. My guess is H has new chemistry.

Reached out to sales at Tesla and they replied:
...... your vehicle is not eligible for the update for the following reasons: 1) The most recent updates apply to the 2021 Model X. You own a 2020 Model X. 2) The updates occurred seven days or more after you took delivery of your 2020 Model X.

I took delivery on 9/30 after several delays and damage during transportation. The car was manufactured 09/2020 and has an H series battery.

Reached out to sales at Tesla and they replied:
...... your vehicle is not eligible for the update for the following reasons: 1) The most recent updates apply to the 2021 Model X. You own a 2020 Model X. 2) The updates occurred seven days or more after you took delivery of your 2020 Model X.

I took delivery on 9/30 after several delays and damage during transportation. The car was manufactured 09/2020 and has an H series battery.
They don't know what the hell they're talking about. So they're basically saying you should've accepted the delivery the first time and not waited in spite of all the issue so now you get this as a comeuppance lol with!

I'd be furious if I would get this as a response from them.
If you have H revision battery you will get this update. Just wait a few days because these updates are always a trickle down effect that comes in waves.

Reactions: BM3B
They don't know what the hell they're talking about. So they're basically saying you should've accepted the delivery the first time and not waited in spite of all the issue so now you get this as a comeuppance lol with!

I'd be furious if I would get this as a response from them.
If you have H revision battery you will get this update. Just wait a few days because these updates are always a trickle down effect that comes in waves.

actually have a G battery.

Sadly, I have some evidence for the longer range NOT being more usable battery, so not likely a chemistry change.

My home charging rate has increased from 23 to 24.5 mph for the same power (7.5 kW at the charger). 1.5 mph/ 23 mph = 6.5% increase matching the range increase exactly.
Sorry folks, it looks like they just changed the multiplier. I don’t think the usable energy changed.

but this doesn’t explain why G and older battery packs are not getting the update. Perhaps there was an efficiency increase at the same time that needed to be confirmed by EPA before updating the multiplier (miles per kWh).

Thoughts? I hope I am wrong...

In case it’s helpful here is the charge data from TeslaFi.

41-90%
Added 180.85 rated miles in 5:57, which is 26.0 miles per hour (mph)
Added 49.15 kWh into the battery
Pulled 53.57 kWh from the wall
91.7% charging efficiency at 242 volts 32 amps
335 mile range at 90% extrapolates to 372 miles at 100% (charging slider shows 372 at 100%).

Thank you Tesla for an even more amazing vehicle! I will try to test out the long steady drive to measure usable battery capacity kWh. The charging capacity is 101.1 kWh = 49.15/(180.85/372), which matches my battery capacity of 101.0 kWh before 40.4.5

Does anyone have this detailed charging data for a non H battery like G? We can see if the capacity is different.

Last edited:

41-90%
335 mile range at 90% extrapolates to 372 miles at 100% (charging slider shows 372 at 100%).

Thank you Tesla for an even more amazing vehicle! I will try to test out the long steady drive to measure usable battery capacity kWh. The charging capacity is 101.1 kWh = 49.15/(180.85/372), which matches my battery capacity of 101.0 kWh before 40.4.5

Does anyone have this detailed charging data for a non H battery like G? We can see if the capacity is different.
I am very impressed by the 101 kWh charging capacity. My Model 3 LR has a 72 kWh charging capacity for a 75 kWh listed battery. This hints that the -H battery may indeed have 106 kWh total capacity, if Tesla is leaving 5 kWh for top and bottom reserve. There may indeed be more capacity than before!

Also I know somebody that has -H pack on the bench and it's still a 100kWh pack.

41-90%

It seems like these two posts present contradicting evidence :)

I'll try to get charge info from my G pack. Funny thing is that my car is registered as having a 114.6kWh battery when I look up my license plate :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: BM3B
It seems like these two posts present contradicting evidence :)

I'll try to get charge info from my G pack. Funny thing is that my car is registered as having a 114.6kWh battery when I look up my license plate :rolleyes:
Let me explain. My hypothesis based on my increase in charging rate is that 2020.40.4.5 update didn’t unlock any more battery capacity for -H compared to pre-update, It updated the range to match the larger capacity of the -H battery. So larger capacity yes but not in the update.

I would guess it was the first thing to be measured, since no hard info exists on either G or H packs.

But testing a battery behind an advanced BMS should be far from trivial, so would also love some details if possible!

Why not just run both packs to 0% and then charge to 100%, measuring delivered kWh? Yes there are some unknowns like the amount of reserve capacity and charging efficiency, but it should be pretty obvious if a pack is 5-10% larger despite those unknowns.

Why not just run both packs to 0% and then charge to 100%, measuring delivered kWh? Yes there are some unknowns like the amount of reserve capacity and charging efficiency, but it should be pretty obvious if a pack is 5-10% larger despite those unknowns.
yes this is exactly what I am planning to do, and ask for someone with a G pack to do the same. I already did the charge test, see above. I will do the drive test when I have time...371 miles is a long ways to drive in one shot! I am eyeing a drive to Vegas, which is 259 miles from my house, I will have to drive 65-70 miles to make it without stopping to charge, this is also a goal of mine. I am not aware of anyone reporting a nonstop drive in an X from LA-Vegas. I'll probably leave from the downtown supercharger to make it easy for other people to duplicate.

Well I won't drive until the X stops, I'll drive from 100-10% or so, then charge up to 90%, which is enough data to tell the usable energy size.

I’ll take this with a grain of salt but this was the response from my local Sales Advisor about the update range changes.

Attachments

• 33A7EF51-D4D7-40D3-8F32-818BC548D705.png
    33A7EF51-D4D7-40D3-8F32-818BC548D705.png
    620.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Informative
Reactions: fbitz777 and BM3B