Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y Tire Options for better ride & range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After all of the positive reviews for these in the forums, these are what I plan to replace my disappointing Continentals with.
After reading a review on TireRack, it got me thinking about selling the Contis soon after delivery.

"Tesla OEM Continental ProContact RX 235/40R19 UTQG 440 A A rated tires which aftermarket retail at $1329.00 USD"

How does one go about selling tires with less than 100 miles? Other than Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, are there any tire specific sites people go to?

After reading a review on TireRack, it got me thinking about selling the Contis soon after delivery.

"Tesla OEM Continental ProContact RX 235/40R19 UTQG 440 A A rated tires which aftermarket retail at $1329.00 USD"

How does one go about selling tires with less than 100 miles? Other than Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, are there any tire specific sites people go to?
There is a For Sale forum on TMC.

Just completed road trip, Fort Worth-Bradenton, FL. 2600 miles r/t. 75-80mph the whole trip. Range was NEVER an issue, as I stopped every 110-170 miles, to charge, walk dog, eat food, use the rest room. Superchargers strategically placed, I could have skipped one or two, and arrived at the next stop with <10%, but there's just no need to deal with "range anxiety."

Solo drive, 27 hours each way, no motel. Stopping for charging forced me to get up and walk, breath fresh air, play with my high-energy mini Aussie, etc. Arrived amazingly energized, compared to previous exact same drives, going 350-450 miles between stops. My dog also appreciated the more frequent stops.

Range just isn't an issue. FYI, I'm 66, literally dozens of long distance drives in my life, in every possible direction (that would include my very infrequent golf club swings!)

:) :) :) Jeez...reading these posts reminds me of my late TX grandfather-in-law: "Yer pickin' the fly *sugar* out of the pepper."

I've owned our 2021 MY for 3 months, so clearly I'm an expert. Range is actually less important than everyone makes it out to be, unless you're traveling in areas w/o Superchargers. Road trip? Drive as fast as you want, keep SOC between 10-65%, stop to charge every 110-140 miles. Only takes 10-15 minutes...barely enough time to use the restroom and stand in line for food, do a little Yoga...
Such great advice. This really is the way to do it. I constantly roll with AP turned on and set between 75-80mph which keeps me in the "fast" lane for 90% of my highway driving. Not to mention I'm over 40 now.. which means I need to stop and pee every two hours anyways lol. Just did little over 900 miles of driving this past weekend.. up and down I-95 and by the time I stopped to plug in at any given Supercharger.. I was literally running to the bathroom so I would piss on myself lol! Did I mention I drive an SR Model Y? :)

I got my AWD Model Y with the Inductions in March. Before ordering I weighed the range vs dark wheel look over and over. Now 3 months in I’m so glad I went with Inductions. I came from a Model X with standard Slipstreams and other than on lumpy interstates where the air suspension makes a difference the ride quality is comparable to me. I’m sure I’ll get knocked for that comment, but I think the ride is fine and have no regrets with the change from the MX or the wheel choice.

I got my AWD Model Y with the Inductions in March. Before ordering I weighed the range vs dark wheel look over and over. Now 3 months in I’m so glad I went with Inductions. I came from a Model X with standard Slipstreams and other than on lumpy interstates where the air suspension makes a difference the ride quality is comparable to me. I’m sure I’ll get knocked for that comment, but I think the ride is fine and have no regrets with the change from the MX or the wheel choice.

I'm riding on 21s at the moment through the city and its pretty rough.... the ride is better in the burbs where streets are smoother... Hope I can find some 20s i like in the next few months and a lowered MYP setup!

Reactions: sgalla04
Posted before finishing the post. By doing this tires would by 25% cheaper and give you much better options for tread warranty range.

@Shullc if you're talking about putting on tires that aren't up to the weight rating specified by Tesla, I would think you would be doing so "at your own risk". While you may be just fine, if you had any issues related to the tires or suspension, I would think neither the tire nor vehicle manufacturer would be inclined to help you out (ie any repairs would be out of your own wallet).

Reactions: whisperingshad
@Shullc if you're talking about putting on tires that aren't up to the weight rating specified by Tesla, I would think you would be doing so "at your own risk". While you may be just fine, if you had any issues related to the tires or suspension, I would think neither the tire nor vehicle manufacturer would be inclined to help you out (ie any repairs would be out of your own wallet).
That is what I am talking about doing except for all normal tires have plenty of coverage for weight. The weight of the Telsa Y is
Curb Weight 4.416 Ibs
Gross Weight 5,302 Ibs

stock Telsa Y tires
Continental RX(40k tire)
Max load 1,984 Ibs=7,936 Ibs

Normal tire
Brand I like Faulken Ziex ZE960 A/S (65k)
Max load 1,765 Ibs= 7,056 Ibs

All normal tires exceed weight limit so that isn’t an issue that I can see. If you are hauling or carrying a heavy load it could be an issue but I do neither. Also from everything I have read the Telsa warranty is only to 50k so any tires you are putting on would be cover by you anyway. If I am missing something please share.

Can you use a tire with a lower load index than the original equipment specifications?​

What happens if you find a tire you’d like to buy, but it has a smaller load index than your original equipment (OE) specifications? Can you use a tire with a lower load index? No.

A tire with a lower load index than your OE specifications can’t properly support the weight of your vehicle and its load (passengers and ski equipment, for example)—or the forces applied to the tire in emergency maneuvers.

When you overload tire, you put your tire at risk of:

Stressing the casing and construction, especially when combined with driving on hot summer roads

Tire failure and blowouts

What's The Right Load Index For Your Vehicle | Kal Tire

• Informative
Reactions: whisperingshad
I've done the math in multiple configurations and as long as you're not towing, a lower load index tire is viable even with a full load of adult passengers and 200 lbs of luggage
Can you calculate the significant weight transfer to the front 2 tires that occurs in an emergency braking maneuver? Braking while swerving? High speed turning?

Your configurations might be just fine, going down a straight, smooth road, equal weight at all four corners, no potholes, no g-forces caused by braking/swerving.

Make sure you let your insurance company know, though, about the tire change. They might want to discuss it with you. :D For sure, a reputable tire shop would NOT do what you're thinking.

I think if Tesla could have provided an alternate, softer-sidewalled tire, for the Tesla M3 and MY, they would already be doing that. Tesla is undoubtedly aware of the myriad complaints about a "harsh ride", which in my opinion comes from the stiff, short sidewall. I've been looking into a 50aspect ratio tire as an alternate, but it would maintain the XL capacity.

Last edited:
Can you calculate the significant weight transfer to the front 2 tires that occurs in an emergency braking maneuver? Braking while swerving? High speed turning?

Your configurations might be just fine, going down a straight, smooth road, equal weight at all four corners, no potholes, no g-forces caused by braking/swerving.

Make sure you let your insurance company know, though, about the tire change. They might want to discuss it with you. :D For sure, a reputable tire shop would NOT do what you're thinking.

I think if Tesla could have provided an alternate, softer-sidewalled tire, for the Tesla M3 and MY, they would already be doing that. Tesla is undoubtedly aware of the myriad complaints about a "harsh ride", which in my opinion comes from the stiff, short sidewall. I've been looking into a 50aspect ratio tire as an alternate, but it would maintain the XL capacity.
Everyone is free to make their own decisions. I've done my own calculations and my weights are no where close to overloading the tires I have.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Pianewman