Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y Tire Options for better ride & range

sgalla04

Mar 24, 2021
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
After all of the positive reviews for these in the forums, these are what I plan to replace my disappointing Continentals with.
After reading a review on TireRack, it got me thinking about selling the Contis soon after delivery.

"Tesla OEM Continental ProContact RX 235/40R19 UTQG 440 A A rated tires which aftermarket retail at $1329.00 USD"

How does one go about selling tires with less than 100 miles? Other than Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, are there any tire specific sites people go to?

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
After reading a review on TireRack, it got me thinking about selling the Contis soon after delivery.

"Tesla OEM Continental ProContact RX 235/40R19 UTQG 440 A A rated tires which aftermarket retail at $1329.00 USD"

How does one go about selling tires with less than 100 miles? Other than Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, are there any tire specific sites people go to?
There is a For Sale forum on TMC.

Pianewman

Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
Just completed road trip, Fort Worth-Bradenton, FL. 2600 miles r/t. 75-80mph the whole trip. Range was NEVER an issue, as I stopped every 110-170 miles, to charge, walk dog, eat food, use the rest room. Superchargers strategically placed, I could have skipped one or two, and arrived at the next stop with <10%, but there's just no need to deal with "range anxiety."

Solo drive, 27 hours each way, no motel. Stopping for charging forced me to get up and walk, breath fresh air, play with my high-energy mini Aussie, etc. Arrived amazingly energized, compared to previous exact same drives, going 350-450 miles between stops. My dog also appreciated the more frequent stops.

Range just isn't an issue. FYI, I'm 66, literally dozens of long distance drives in my life, in every possible direction (that would include my very infrequent golf club swings!)

Daekwan

Mar 9, 2021
DC
:) :) :) Jeez...reading these posts reminds me of my late TX grandfather-in-law: "Yer pickin' the fly *sugar* out of the pepper."

I've owned our 2021 MY for 3 months, so clearly I'm an expert. Range is actually less important than everyone makes it out to be, unless you're traveling in areas w/o Superchargers. Road trip? Drive as fast as you want, keep SOC between 10-65%, stop to charge every 110-140 miles. Only takes 10-15 minutes...barely enough time to use the restroom and stand in line for food, do a little Yoga...
Such great advice. This really is the way to do it. I constantly roll with AP turned on and set between 75-80mph which keeps me in the "fast" lane for 90% of my highway driving. Not to mention I'm over 40 now.. which means I need to stop and pee every two hours anyways lol. Just did little over 900 miles of driving this past weekend.. up and down I-95 and by the time I stopped to plug in at any given Supercharger.. I was literally running to the bathroom so I would piss on myself lol! Did I mention I drive an SR Model Y? :)

AZMurph

Mar 21, 2019
Arizona
I got my AWD Model Y with the Inductions in March. Before ordering I weighed the range vs dark wheel look over and over. Now 3 months in I’m so glad I went with Inductions. I came from a Model X with standard Slipstreams and other than on lumpy interstates where the air suspension makes a difference the ride quality is comparable to me. I’m sure I’ll get knocked for that comment, but I think the ride is fine and have no regrets with the change from the MX or the wheel choice.

ganari

Dec 2, 2020
Philadelphia
I got my AWD Model Y with the Inductions in March. Before ordering I weighed the range vs dark wheel look over and over. Now 3 months in I’m so glad I went with Inductions. I came from a Model X with standard Slipstreams and other than on lumpy interstates where the air suspension makes a difference the ride quality is comparable to me. I’m sure I’ll get knocked for that comment, but I think the ride is fine and have no regrets with the change from the MX or the wheel choice.

I'm riding on 21s at the moment through the city and its pretty rough.... the ride is better in the burbs where streets are smoother... Hope I can find some 20s i like in the next few months and a lowered MYP setup!

Reactions: sgalla04

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC