Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y Tire Options for better ride & range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Susceptible to road hazards (shards of metal, screws, nails, etc,) especially in urban environments. I'm hoping the Vreds are a bit thicker / resistant to punctures. The Contis are EV specific, some compromises have to be made to keep their weight within specs. Read through the forums about flat tires.
The Contis are "EV specific"??? Where did you get that information?

Interesting theory. Need more proof, something to back it up.

maus92: Okay, I get that, but I can't imagine the tire is made "thinner" or LESS robust. The Tesla OEM specs were for the size and the load rating, which is MORE robust than a regular passenger tire.

I'm on several forums, and I don't see more puncture related failures here than at Toyota or Nissan.

Here's some research for you:

This tire is original equipment for: 2020 Tesla Model 3, 2020 Volkswagen Passat, 2021 Tesla Model 3. The ProContact™ RX is an all-season touring tire that comes as original equipment on many sophisticated coupes and luxury performance sedans.

Here's some research for you:

This tire is original equipment for: 2020 Tesla Model 3, 2020 Volkswagen Passat, 2021 Tesla Model 3. The ProContact™ RX is an all-season touring tire that comes as original equipment on many sophisticated coupes and luxury performance sedans.
The foam acoustic insulation pretty much says the tire is made for EVs: the specific size and insulation was spec'd for Tesla (according to other posts in this site.) The load rating has to do with the construction of the tire, the reinforcing fibers, sidewall stiffness, etc. - but not necessarily the thickness of the materials, or the compounds used in the rubber. The tires are prone to road hazard damage, and is supported by user experience - colloquially at least. But buy another set by all means if you think they are fine.

Reactions: dino007
Yes there are Ev specific tires being made now

Has to do with weight difference normally and making them quiter(usually putting foam in them) with low resistance etc.

Michellin made an Ev pilot sport lol

Susceptible to road hazards (shards of metal, screws, nails, etc,) especially in urban environments. I'm hoping the Vreds are a bit thicker / resistant to punctures. The Contis are EV specific, some compromises have to be made to keep their weight within specs. Read through the forums about flat tires.
I can attest to this with a unrepairable tire(not on the sidewall, almost middle of tire) 280 bucks i wasn't expecting to spend.

New 2021 MYP, I swapped out the 21 uberturbines for the TSportline TSV 19s with Conti Extremecontact DWS06 All seasons. Very happy so far, and may sell the other wheels instead of swapping back in the summer. Pickup, ride comfort, traction, and range are all equal or better. I haven’t measured them but haven’t noticed a significant difference.

Yes there are Ev specific tires being made now

Has to do with weight difference normally and making them quiter(usually putting foam in them) with low resistance etc.

Michellin made an Ev pilot sport lol

Tired of flogging this dead horse, but...

2016 Car and Driver article (LONG before EVs were going mainstream):

Michelin started pushing foam lined tires in 2015.

Tired of flogging this dead horse, but...

2016 Car and Driver article (LONG before EVs were going mainstream):

Michelin started pushing foam lined tires in 2015.
You’re missing the point buddy

There’s Ev specific tires being made/marketed it doesn’t matter how long ago foam tires were being made it’s simply now they are becoming common in the “Ev tires” segment

It really does not matter at all if you get one an Ev tire or not for an Ev car in reality imo its overblown

But there is an Ev tire segment now it exists and foam for acoustics is usually a thing in this “Ev tire” segment

My point is/was that the ContiProContact tire isn't a "thinner" tire, and more prone to punctures, because it is "EV specific."

I have found no evidence to support the above statement.

I would have preferred 18" tires with good side wall height giving better mileage, lesser road bumps and less chance of rim curb rash. So what makes people prefer 20 or 21" over the standard 19"? Is it aesthetics?
Having a shorter, therefore stiffer sidewall, improves handling (quicker turn-in, especially), but it sacrifices comfort, as the short sidewall just doesn't have enough material to flex.
The visual aesthetic is also important to some.