Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Modle Y. Losing 3% (8 miles rated range) overnight after 2021.4.11 update. Sentry mode off. Ambient temperature 50F (10 C). No FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys, Looking for some help here.

After the latest update. I am losing a lot of battery range overnight, over 14 h. 3% lost (8 miles). car is parked in a garage. Sentry mode off. no scheduled departure. no FSD. Temperature definitely would not trigger overheat protection. No third-party app access. No tesla app access.

Anyone experience the same thing? Tesla tech support said that the car needs time to adjust after a software update....but it had never happened on any other updates.

Anything I forgot or missed?

The battery meter range estimate is not that precise and may be influenced by external factors such as temperature. The other day I supercharged my car and stopped at 88%. As pulled away from the parking garage, it went up to 89%. I had lunch and came back and it was up to 91%. Don't read too much into small changes. It is just an estimate.

I pulled some info from my car, only seeing 600 watt loss over 14.5 hours, or roughly 40 watts/hour.
Temp in my garage 51F. No sentry, no FSD, TezLab third party app, 2021.4.11 software.

1615989794608.png

Reactions: mark95476
I think you'll find you have one rated mile for every 239 Wh reported in the "nominal full pack value." The Wh/mi was lowered in an OTA update shortly after the advertised range went from 316 to 326. My car gained 7 rated miles with that update. It seems to include the ~3.2 kWh energy buffer. Even driving very efficiently at 239 Wh/mi, the car will report 0% with the buffer still able to go ~13 rated miles.

Maybe its the update that some people had couple weeks back that didn't work right and during that time my battery was draining too. I think one night it dropped around 8% because my Y would wake up constantly throughout the night.

The battery meter range estimate is not that precise and may be influenced by external factors such as temperature. The other day I supercharged my car and stopped at 88%. As pulled away from the parking garage, it went up to 89%. I had lunch and came back and it was up to 91%. Don't read too much into small changes. It is just an estimate.
Is this because when you supercharge the car the battery gets so hot that even after dropping down the % it will go back up because of the battery heat?