Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MS 19” Tempest Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else in my situation? Ordered MS LR on January 6 and EDD is end of November and Tesla never gives me a reason why others who ordered later are getting their cars? All of my information and loan were approved in days after ordering. Getting frustrated that exact car I ordered is being delivered at Devon but none are mine. Last call with Tesla told me to cancel and buy a different car if I could not wait….
My order is same as yours except white interior + I placed mine 6 months after yours - RN1151. My EDD is currently Nov 14-Dec 4. Also picking up in Devon.

Reactions: T-Racer
Anyone else in my situation? Ordered MS LR on January 6 and EDD is end of November and Tesla never gives me a reason why others who ordered later are getting their cars? All of my information and loan were approved in days after ordering. Getting frustrated that exact car I ordered is being delivered at Devon but none are mine. Last call with Tesla told me to cancel and buy a different car if I could not wait….
What did you order and what do they think you should order?

Called my sales center to see when I could expect my car so i’m I could plan some trips in the meantime. My projected delivery is Sep 8-22 and SA said his estimation is mid September to mid October but he has no additional info than I do. Asked him where he’s seeing the mid October estimate then and he responded with “your car is definitely coming this year.” Thank god I cleared that up.

Attachments

• 70C71F69-40FF-4C27-A837-7AAF8B1C8CFA.png
    70C71F69-40FF-4C27-A837-7AAF8B1C8CFA.png
    267.1 KB · Views: 84
It can be so frustrating. Wish Tesla would be more transparent. IMHO the SAs are not a big help. Perhaps they are not told much either from corporate.
Did you piss someone off there?Seriously, your RN# is lower than some I’ve seen who have their cars. Your configuration isn’t rare and they are delivering. Have you called their customer service line? (Or did you make changes to the order at any time?)

Yes! I still see that every time I look at my reservation page. They are way darker in person.
1631063092917.jpeg

Like this? I’m talking about the original silver and black that switched to black and gray, prompting some people to think Elon didn’t like the original silver and black and that’s why 19’s were delayed. That never made any sense. Now back to silver and black. You ordered in June so they had already changed the way the wheel covers were rendered, but now they are back to the original refresh version. Very interesting.

Attachments

• 1631063018357.png
    1631063018357.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 60
Reactions: cwanja
View attachment 706507
Like this? I’m talking about the original silver and black that switched to black and gray, prompting some people to think Elon didn’t like the original silver and black and that’s why 19’s were delayed. That never made any sense. Now back to silver and black. You ordered in June so they had already changed the way the wheel covers were rendered, but now they are back to the original refresh version. Very interesting.
Yep, those non contrasting dark ones are what is on my Plaid.

Hey all,

So after a wait that we're (mostly) all familiar with, I picked up my S with 19" wheels on Friday. Before picking it up, based on photos I'd seen online, I was sort of waffling on hubcaps vs no hubcaps vs different wheels; the hubcaps looked OK in photos, and the wheels looked ... also OK, I guess, but not really great. I was thinking I'd probably just leave the hubcaps on.

Then I got the car and the hubcaps are very meh. Clearly big plastic hubcaps. Being dark really helps but in the end I felt like they look pretty cheap and kinda boring. But efficiency! presumably the whole point of them is aerodynamics and efficiency but how much of that is just academic? This is a job for science! (well Mythbusters-grade science, anyway)

So @cwanja and I set out on a wild Saturday night road trip to make two loops around Houston and find out. We took two full loops of Beltway 8, which makes a ~92 mile lap around what was once a ring containing most of the metro area:

View attachment 705859

... It's reasonably flat:

View attachment 705860

Charts and images are from Tessie, by the way (Tessie: Awesome software for your Tesla). The spike in elevation in the middle is the bridge over the Houston Ship Channel.

The idea was: start by going to a Supercharger, charging to 'full' (which I have set at 80%), do a run with hubcaps, then while re-Supercharging, remove the hubcaps, and do it again.

The first run started around 9pm, so traffic wasn't nonexistent but it was reasonable for most of the trip, and we were able to mostly just stick with Autopilot engaged at ~73mph:

View attachment 705861

Efficiency-wise, here's what we got:

View attachment 705863

So a solid baseline. While supercharging, we popped off the hubcaps and installed center caps (ROCCS Tesla Model 3 S X Set Airo Wheel Cap Kit) and lug nut covers (VOSAREA 21 in 1 Hexagonal Wheel Lug Nut Covers). The lug nut covers match the wheel color reasonably well; they're a tad lighter, and not 'metallic', but the shade is pretty close. The center caps are not quite the right shade, and also came with several minor blemishes; I'd recommend looking for different center caps but the lug nut covers were OK.

Then we did the same route again. Traffic was a bit lighter, so speed was a bit more consistent, but overall pretty good: the route time ended up being almost identical, down to the minute (1 hour, 22 minutes each lap):

View attachment 705864

You can see there's a bit less slowing down during this trip but overall it was very consistent. Energy usage was also remarkably similar:

View attachment 705865

What I gather from this is that the hubcaps make no useful contribution to efficiency at 'average' highway speeds. The second run took slightly more energy, a whopping increase of 2 Wh/mi, but with a single run in each configuration I'd say this is potentially just in the noise. If I was going to compete at Le Mans maybe I'd slap the hubcaps on but in real life, they're staying off, and if I'm taking a road trip they're probably also staying off: it might mean consuming a handful of additional Watts, but it won't mean additional stops to charge, or even noticeable extra time charging.

Anyway this wasn't a really surprising result, but it feels nice to say that we at least know what we're missing by taking them off.
Hi. Did you post pics of your tires with wheel hub two Amazon parts you posted? I see you went gray instead of black. If you posted tire pics, I can’t find them. Thanks 🙏

View attachment 706507
Hopefully don’t end up looking like this. It’s a preproduction spy shot photo I found online.

Attachments

• 2AC98CD5-1746-4155-8B58-B0090F8B81B8.png
    2AC98CD5-1746-4155-8B58-B0090F8B81B8.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
Reactions: GrnSqrl