Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MYP getting flashed by opposing traffic :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

I have a 2021 MYP with the new headlights. I have noticed that I have been flashed by opposing traffic multiple times because folks think I have my high beams on. I can say the low beam is quite powerful and illuminates much more of the road than my M3P or MS.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I off to the service center for a headlight calibration?

The point of the new design is to eliminate blinding others by having the cutoff more pronounced/better defined. Sounds more like a poor adjustment IMHO. You can either go and have them adjusted or do it your self via the on board menu. On a garage door marked with some tape should give you a good idea of where you are and how far down you want to go.

Hey All,

I have a 2021 MYP with the new headlights. I have noticed that I have been flashed by opposing traffic multiple times because folks think I have my high beams on. I can say the low beam is quite powerful and illuminates much more of the road than my M3P or MS.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I off to the service center for a headlight calibration?
This is happening to me a lot too. Please keep us updated on your outcome.

Reactions: derichio02
Sounds more like a poor adjustment IMHO. You can either go and have them adjusted or do it your self via the on board menu. On a garage door marked with some tape should give you a good idea of where you are and how far down you want to go.
This. Adjusting headlights isn't difficult in most vehicles, but Tesla makes it super easy: Controls > Service > Adjust Headlights

Do you have auto high beam on? I have it disabled because it would never turn off in time.
No. First thing I logically checked. But others are reporting this as well. This is my 5th Tesla so I’m pretty used to the UI in all of their vehicles. I honestly was just checking if it was only me. Seems like this does happen to at least a few folks. If it bothers my enough I’ll start to play with the headlight calibration. I will look for the spec to understand if mine are too high but it’s not a big deal honestly. I had to adjust the hell out of the headlights in my lifted trucks before.

Does any know the proper way to adjust the headlights? I got 2 different answers from Tesla. One rep said 25 ft back on a level service and beam should be about 24 inches from floor. Yesterday Tesla mobile service came out and said it should be 24 ft back and about 31 inches from the ground.

No. First thing I logically checked. But others are reporting this as well. This is my 5th Tesla so I’m pretty used to the UI in all of their vehicles. I honestly was just checking if it was only me. Seems like this does happen to at least a few folks. If it bothers my enough I’ll start to play with the headlight calibration. I will look for the spec to understand if mine are too high but it’s not a big deal honestly. I had to adjust the hell out of the headlights in my lifted trucks before.
Turned mine down 3 notches and the flashing stopped.

Does any know the proper way to adjust the headlights? I got 2 different answers from Tesla. One rep said 25 ft back on a level service and beam should be about 24 inches from floor. Yesterday Tesla mobile service came out and said it should be 24 ft back and about 31 inches from the ground.
This would be a good spec to have. This is what I have used when adjusting headlight on my other vehicles. Was the first rep a service tech?