Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MYP Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, got my VIN. It’s a 76,XXX number, thought it would be in the 80,000 numbers, but beggars can’t be choosers! I just hope it’s “old enough” that it’ll have all the refreshes and upgrades! Ordered October 16, FYI. Red with black interior, Tow Hitch and FSD. Mine sounds like a possible reject too seeing as how there’s 80,XXX coming off the line

Gotta be a reject with a VIN that low. I ordered on 11/16 and my VIN is 84XXX, picking it up on Tuesday!

So I have interesting information I need to share with everyone! So I got my VIN this morning and I immediately went to my local Tesla SC in Owings Mills because I needed to order 4 TPMS sensors for my winter Gemini rims (they wouldn’t allow me to order the sensors until I got my VIN—they ordered them for me). While I was there I talked to my sales advisor and asked him about my low number VIN (it’s a 76,XXX). He immediately went into the system to see when my vehicle was “born” and it was yesterday, December 11th at 14:54:56. He was also able to see exactly where my vehicle was at on a map, and it was still in the middle of the lot at Fremont (he showed me all of this, so I know it’s in fact real), as well as the odometer and it has 2.5 miles on it. My estimated delivery now says December 22nd-28th, and I leave for NY at the latest on the 24th. If the vehicle shows up and they schedule delivery on the 24th, then I’ll take delivery then drive it to NY—hopefully it shows up on the 22nd though. If it shows up AFTER the 24th, they said they could work something up and I could have a trusted person take delivery on my behalf, but they’d have to do the inspection for me—but no biggie because we could FaceTime together and go through the vehicle together. My trusted person is my next door neighbor who is more into cars than me, and literally goes to a dealership EVERY WEEKEND and drives cars just for the hell of it. So yeah,I’d trust him to have a checklist and sign on my behalf with me on FaceTime. So, that part is solved if need be.

What I want to say about the VIN process is this; the way it works is a VIN is assigned to an individual at a point in time—for me my VIN is a 76,XXX number. My VIN was probably assigned to me weeks ago, but my vehicle didn’t enter production until a couple few days ago (for whatever strange odd reason we may never know, but maybe it was because I ordered the super rare red color AND a tow hitch which also seems to be causing lots of issues). So, I have a low VIN number but my MYP just came off the line yesterday, meaning it SHOULD HAVE all of the new refreshes even though it has a low number. So, the VIN’s are assigned to a person, not as they come off the line. Make sense? My SA shed A LOT of light on the way things work at Tesla, and I understand now, the reason behind all of the madness. He was just as stressed out as we are, and it’s because while it doesn’t make sense to us—the buyers—it doesn’t make sense to the Sales Advisors either......and they have to deal with us, LOL. Oh, and he did say that they work the furthest deliveries first (us on the east coast) then deliver for the closer folks on the west coast. It takes DAYS for us out here to get our vehicles where as those closer to Fremont can get delivered much sooner. Hope all of this may have shed some light in the midst of all the madness.

Great to hear. I guess ours pretty much came off the line the same day. That makes me more confident in them being brand new cars. I wish I wasn't so far from a service center:(

Reactions: NASASpaceXlove
So weird, exact same specs and you ordered before me yet got a VIN 11k higher lol

IMHO, I wouldn’t necessarily dwell on the VIN number as much as the Build Date or “Factory Gated” date. The latter is mor important because the date will tell you when it rolled off the assembly line “relatively” anyways. Also, with that date you “should” get all the latest and greatest goodies that have been added or updated from that date backwards.
Point being, don’t put to much stock in the VIN.

also, with this talk of getting free SC for a year, who is up for a Cannonball Run!?!

Reactions: Kezz
I placed an order for a Y on Nov 2nd and received delivery notifications on the 25th and 30th, both of which I rejected as they were reassigned. Lots of people waiting for the new hardware, I guess :D Then came a text on Wednesday saying:

"Tesla Update - There is no better time to take home your Model Y. With Autopilot and over-the-air software updates, your Model Y will continue to add new features and get even better over time.

Your Model Y order, RN..., is on hold but can potentially be delivered this month if you prefer.

Reply DECEMBER if you are interested in taking delivery of your Model Y this month and a Tesla Advisor will reach out to discuss next steps."​

I assume they're doing this to separate those who want them right away from those of us who aren't in a hurry. Seems like a smart move, just wondering if anyone else has seen this?

MYP, MSM, TOW & FSD. Los Angeles destination
11/01/20 Ordered
11/19/20 Received Text stating 1-3 weeks possible delivery
12/07/20 Order page updated showing delivery 12/13 - 12/31
12/09/20 Order page updated showing delivery 6-10 weeks after order
12/12/20 Received e mail stating Submit your payment and VIN 79,0XX posted to my account
12/12/20 Texted SA asking what date my car was produced, as some have much higher VIN.
12/12/20 SA advises me that my car has a build date of 12/11, I will be contacted about delivery soon.
12/12/20 Received texts and e mails to schedule delivery for 12/14 to my door in LA

It will be 6 weeks delivery from date of order for me. Although my VIN is a 79, it was produced on 12/11, so I am happy about that.

If this helps anyone, and it's not an ad, was trading in 2014 Range Rover, checked Tesla (31K), Vroom (30K) and Carvana (34.3K) so Carvana picked up my car (with online appointment set) and seriously, NO BS, took 5 minutes. Guy in a car comes out on pickup day, looks over the car quickly, gives me some paperwork to sign, handed me the check and parks my car in the street and puts a lock box thingy on it with the keys in it. He says one of their flatbeds will pick it up within 3 hours. Done. Carvana was great.