Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Plaid - Here we go again! SSDD and tires...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will admit I did have a low pressure event on one tire when I got a nail, and drove maybe .5 miles to an exit to get off while pressure was going down. So maybe that was enough to cause the issues. But everyone else having the same experience sounds weird.

I'll take some photos of my tires after 8k miles. I don't think they are wearing unevenly. I wonder if some cars are just not aligned correctly from the factory, or there is a defect in the shoulders of these tires.
I think it is alignment and, in the rear, isn't adjustable.
I don't see any front tire wearing like these on any of these tire threads and it is the same tire. I have tools to measure and change camber on my Mustang for racing purposes and measure my Plaid camber just arriving from delivery at -1 on the driver and -3 on the passenger.
I'm not daily driving it until I receive (if not further delays) my N2itive arms and adjust both toe and camber as close to 0 as possible. It seems to be really difficult to get tires in stock for these.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Response from Tesla (basically do not use their preset settings!!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221130_131747_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20221130_131747_Tesla.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 235
The inside of both of my two front tires on '21 MS LR (with 21" arachnids) were down to the threads. If you do your research as I did you'll unfortunately learn that this is commonplace for this setup... Michelin won't cover uneven treadwear like this in the warranty - as it's obviously a wear/use issue. Tires are warrantied for 30k miles, but you'll get about 20k if you're lucky. Sorry for the bad news. I was out $1000 this week for 2 new pieces of rubber myself...
Yeah, I just paid $1,400 today at Discount Tire to replace both back tires...only 10K on the OEM ones.

That is a strange issue. It looks like there is plenty of tread left in the tires.
Yes, mine had at least another 15K of wear left.

I think there's more to this than just camber. Yes, that's likely a major point of contention, but I don't think it's the only one. I think the tire construction has some issues. This is likely given that it "seems" to be only the 21". Those running other sizes or brands don't seem to be having issues (or just not reporting it). I'm wondering if the "T2" tires are better. For those having issues with the Michelin 21" tires, it would be great if you shared your tire revision.

Mine also seemed to be wearing fairly evenly (visual check). No feathering and no signs until they were too far gone.

Here are some photos of my rear tires from this morning at 8700 miles. If I really look closely, there is a tiny amount of additional wear on the most inside edge of the tire. It's a pretty subtle difference. I can't really imagine that wearing all the way through the tire plies in just a few thousand more miles. I guess the next time I take the tires off, I could photo them with a ruler and see if it is more visible.

1669925982349.png

1669926047430.png

Here are some photos of my rear tires from this morning at 8700 miles. If I really look closely, there is a tiny amount of additional wear on the most inside edge of the tire. It's a pretty subtle difference. I can't really imagine that wearing all the way through the tire plies in just a few thousand more miles. I guess the next time I take the tires off, I could photo them with a ruler and see if it is more visible.

View attachment 880239

View attachment 880240
Just looked at mine which is a 2022 with 11, 361 miles and my rears look nearly identical on the OEM 21s. Very slight wear on the inner edge compared to the outer but nothing Id worry about at this point. I've never gone this long on tires on a model S. My 2013 P85 needed tires every 5-7K miles when I had the OEM 21s and now that I am running 20s (3 of the 4 OEM wheels were leaking air at the valve stems) I can get 8-10K miles running more of a highway tire. My wife drives the 2013 mostly around town. We use the 2022 for most of our roadtrips and at over 11K miles, I'd estimate that 8K are highway, The odometer isnt immediately available in the 2022 so I didnt even realize I had driven this much since getting it and these are the OEM installed PS4s. Will try to post a few pics of mine for reference.

I have an MX Plaid with Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tires with a 20K mile treadwear warranty (i.e. they don't last long). Alignment done at about 2K miles. Rear camber -1.5 even both sides at low. I drive on "very low" in town to preserve the front half shafts since I'm a lead foot. I drive on the highest setting possible on the freeway which is "low".

Tread depth when new is 8.5/32. Current tread is 7/32 inside and 7.5/32 outside. Service limit is 2/32. I've used up 1.5/32 on the inside. With 6.5/32 of usable tread, I've used 23% of the tread life after 8K miles. If it keeps at the same rate, I'll hit 2/32 on the inside at 34.6K miles.

It seems like the rear tires should be wearing much faster on the inside with -1.5 camber. Something has changed with their new suspension. Not sure what though.

I am under the impression that the only difference between the T1 and T2 versions is that the T1 had the well for the bluetooth sensor (but no sensor) and the T2 version actually has the sensor installed.

My Model S P85D wears out tires, especially the insides of the rear tires, very fast. I drive at slow speeds around town, but I don't trust that the car is safe at speed. Tesla has not been able to fix the problem - 3 different service centers the last 6 months. Why Tesla did not use adjustable camber arms in the back I don't understand.

Reactions: Sam1