Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Plaid - Here we go again! SSDD and tires...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same Crap, Different Day (and Car).

My P90DL ate through tires like an island rescuee at a buffet. I was "glad" to get 10K out of a set of rear tires... no track time, no fancy stuff, just regular driving. I dealt with this issue through several brands (OEM Michelin, Continental, and Falken). In the end, I stuck with Falken as ride, performance, and sound was on par with the others and I usually got 12K out of them. Plus they were a few bucks cheaper.

I'm 14K in on my 2021 Plaid and the rear OEM Michelins (295/30R21) are literally falling apart. These are rated at 30K miles and my wear indicator is right at half, so wear is on par for rating.

View attachment 872966 View attachment 872967 View attachment 872968

Wear indicator...

View attachment 872969

I called a local authorized Michelin reseller in town and was told they have no warehouses in the US with that tire in stock. They recommended I call the only other Michelin dealer in town and they, surprisingly, had two in stock. How weird is that? I've called local tire places with far more common tire sizes and always have to wait a day or two to get them from Baton Rouge, Lake Charles or New Orleans. Anyway, after talking to him, he said this is a known issue and he has had several cases of the early release of this "special Tesla build tire" being covered under warranty. There is now a new revision of this tire and that's what he has in stock.

Anyway, I'll be back on the road soon enough, but I just disappointed in the continuance of Model S tire woes and, in this case particularly, a "known" issue and Tesla didn't offer a warning? My tires look like they are ready to explode taking my fenders and vehicle control with them. Reminder to check your tire, front to back, side to side, frequently.
Brother, you have one heavy foot! I do have the same P90D and believe me I’m not a saint, but I get 16-20k miles out of Pirellis which I consider soft and grippy. Maybe you should switch to all seasons which in general hold up better.

G
24k miles lowered PLAID. I started one of the first tire threads many years ago. I am amazed at how the latest geometry has controlled camber and how good the tire wear has been on my car. My wife's S is exactly the same for geometry control. I thought they had addressed this issue.
Good to see you still on the forum after all these years. I participated in that thread back then and installed the adjustable camber links on my own car. I still have my 2012 classic Model S. Those links have paid for themselves a couple times over. The tires are lasting 50k-60k miles. Not saying that this is the problem with the Plaid. I went to a Tesla showroom today with the intent of trading in my car for a Plaid.. I specifically looked at the rear camber. It did not look excessive. Maybe the wheels are toed out causing the excessive wear?
Anyway, the price on the Plaid was good but the trade-in value was way below kbb. Also, the Tesla Loyalty incentive is a myth. Will exercise some options and try again.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Quick update from the OP (original poster; me).

So the local Michelin dealer kept jerking me around on making a warranty claim on my rear tires. I gave up on them last week (after 3 months of excuses and refusal to return my calls) and called Michelin directly. I must say: Michelin stepped up. Within a week of cold calling them, I have a check on the way for 60% of my tire cost.

Quick update from the OP (original poster; me).

So the local Michelin dealer kept jerking me around on making a warranty claim on my rear tires. I gave up on them last week (after 3 months of excuses and refusal to return my calls) and called Michelin directly. I must say: Michelin stepped up. Within a week of cold calling them, I have a check on the way for 60% of my tire cost.
What contact number did you use for michelin direct? (866) 866-6605? Saving details for my eminent tire failure.

What contact number did you use for michelin direct? (866) 866-6605? Saving details for my eminent tire failure.
Yes. You will need to take the failed tires to a local dealer to have the wear level assessed. They are rated at 30K, so payments will be based on that. I had 12K on mine and they reimbursed 60% of the cost... which was verified by my invoice from the local dealer. And only the raw price of the tire... not mounting, not balance, not taxes, nothing but the tire.

Last edited:
IMG_2549.jpeg

10k miles. Tires shot. Rinse. Repeat.

Attachments

• IMG_2551.jpeg
    IMG_2551.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2550.jpeg
    IMG_2550.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 30
Same issue, rear drivers side tire, low pressure, tire separating from sidewall - 10K miles, no racing, did Plaid mode a couple times. Has anyone had good luck with the warranty through Michelin?
I have a 2022 Y with 8,000 miles and so far, no noticeable wear on the tires. Previously I had a 2018 Kia Stinger GT2 with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, larger in the rear. The tires were rated at 30,000 miles, but at around 16,000 miles, when in for an oil change, they called me out to the shop to see something. The car was up on the hoist and they had noticed the tires! From walking around the car, the tires looked normal, but from under the car - here's a couple of pictures. . . . . . . .

20210628_145519.jpg
20210628_145450.jpg
20210628_145519.jpg

20210628_145450.jpg

Kia insisted it's a tire problem, not a car problem and sent me to a Michelin dealer. They sent pictures to Michelin who responded with - It's a known issue with Kia Stingers and not really a Michelin issue, but they were guaranteed for 30,000 miles, so they would give me a 49% (based on mileage), discount on new tires- all 4! Combined with an ongoing special sale, etc., I wound up getting a new set of Pilot 4S tires for $618 including taxes, mounting, etc. This seemed quite fair to me on the part of Michelin and only a bit negative about Kia.

When I first got my Y I went on a 3,000+ mile trip and the car initially was very hard to keep in my lane. It felt like the caster was not as negative as it should be, perhaps even slightly positive. I looked the caster up in the service manual and found what it should be. Since it felt "wrong", I made a service appointment. The service tech seemed surprised, because the car had not reported a problem with the alignment, but had me come in so they could check it. They insisted it was set correctly and that it would adjust itself if needed?????? Took me for a drive and proclaimed it was perfect. I pointed out the slight feathering on the tread, indication of a possible caster problem, but they assured me it was normal.

As time went on, it drove better and better and the feathering disappeared. Perhaps it actually does have alignment sensors and makes adjustments it feels are needed? Seems pretty far fetched to me, but my experience seems to bear it out. With 8,000 miles the tires are all looking good and the car drives like a dream. After 6 or 8 software updates over the 11 months since I got it, the driver assist functions have improved to the point I am no longer frightened by them, have learned to pretty much trust the car, keep an eye on it, but enjoy the ride.

I've always had very good luck with Michelin's, except for that one set, which were made in India and shipped to South Korea where the Kia was built - so I suspected it was really a tire problem, but who knows. The Y has Continental tires which as so far looking good.

I have a 2022 Y with 8,000 miles and so far, no noticeable wear on the tires. Previously I had a 2018 Kia Stinger GT2 with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, larger in the rear. The tires were rated at 30,000 miles, but at around 16,000 miles, when in for an oil change, they called me out to the shop to see something. The car was up on the hoist and they had noticed the tires! From walking around the car, the tires looked normal, but from under the car - here's a couple of pictures. . . . . . . .

View attachment 934127View attachment 934126View attachment 934127

View attachment 934126

Kia insisted it's a tire problem, not a car problem and sent me to a Michelin dealer. They sent pictures to Michelin who responded with - It's a known issue with Kia Stingers and not really a Michelin issue, but they were guaranteed for 30,000 miles, so they would give me a 49% (based on mileage), discount on new tires- all 4! Combined with an ongoing special sale, etc., I wound up getting a new set of Pilot 4S tires for $618 including taxes, mounting, etc. This seemed quite fair to me on the part of Michelin and only a bit negative about Kia.

When I first got my Y I went on a 3,000+ mile trip and the car initially was very hard to keep in my lane. It felt like the caster was not as negative as it should be, perhaps even slightly positive. I looked the caster up in the service manual and found what it should be. Since it felt "wrong", I made a service appointment. The service tech seemed surprised, because the car had not reported a problem with the alignment, but had me come in so they could check it. They insisted it was set correctly and that it would adjust itself if needed?????? Took me for a drive and proclaimed it was perfect. I pointed out the slight feathering on the tread, indication of a possible caster problem, but they assured me it was normal.

As time went on, it drove better and better and the feathering disappeared. Perhaps it actually does have alignment sensors and makes adjustments it feels are needed? Seems pretty far fetched to me, but my experience seems to bear it out. With 8,000 miles the tires are all looking good and the car drives like a dream. After 6 or 8 software updates over the 11 months since I got it, the driver assist functions have improved to the point I am no longer frightened by them, have learned to pretty much trust the car, keep an eye on it, but enjoy the ride.

I've always had very good luck with Michelin's, except for that one set, which were made in India and shipped to South Korea where the Kia was built - so I suspected it was really a tire problem, but who knows. The Y has Continental tires which as so far looking good.

Lol. No, they lied to you. There are no alignment sensors and no ability for the car to adjust alignment.

Reactions: aerodyne
Do you think this is as prevalent in the LR 2021+ Model S or mainly with the Plaid? As you guys know the worse part of this is the tread life still looks good and if you were diligent and look at the inner wear you would never notice this and could be a HUGE problem.

yes, with every S on 21s. But maybe 21s are over represented on plaid’s compared to the long range. Maybe people who bought plaids wanted every option or thought the 21s would perform better. Maybe people who bought long ranges wanted the more efficient 19’s. The reason I bought the 19‘s was I wanted better range.