Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Just ordered my Model 3LR with FSD PW AERO,
EDD of 11/15 to 12/19
Pick up Location is Toronto Canada.
I went with the white because I intended to wrap the car. Now i am thinking just order it in black and do a PPF to it. Do you think that will delay delivery?
Looks like any exterior colors are making delays. I have ordered back on 9/3 black/white with initial EDD "November" and now it is Dec-Jan

Looks like any exterior colors are making delays. I have ordered back on 9/3 black/white with initial EDD "November" and now it is Dec-Jan
So odd. I put in an order for a black/white on 9/17 and mine is still showing 11/3-23. I saw your post and immediately went to check. So strange.

I can’t see signatures as I’m on my phone so I’m assuming yours was black exterior white interior.

I ordered on Sept 18th and still have an EDD of 10/28-11/17. Blue/Black/Sport Wheels in Canada. Anyone know when the switchover date is to 2022MY?
There’s no such thing as a 2022 model year. They don’t arbitrarily update it every year. Tesla might do a refresh sometime next year, at which point it would be informally called the “2022 Refresh”, but anything sold until then is considered a 2021 Refresh.

There’s no such thing as a 2022 model year. They don’t arbitrarily update it every year. Tesla might do a refresh sometime next year, at which point it would be informally called the “2022 Refresh”, but anything sold until then is considered a 2021 Refresh.
That is not strictly true. The 10th position of the VIN indicates the model year of the car, currently an M for 2021. This is what is legally registered on a title. Sometime around the end of this year, Tesla will change all new VINs to use an N for 2022. So while Tesla is unlike other manufacturers who only make changes to their vehicles on model year boundaries (and typically switch in the August/September timeframe), each Tesla built does have a legal model year.

Cars made after Jan 1 of a certain year have to be at least that year on the VIN, title, etc. OEMs can choose to designate a model year (VIN, title, etc) prior to Jan 1 if they want to. Last year, Tesla chose to do a model year switch in the fall of 2020 and all of the cars made after the "switch" were 2021 models even if made in 2020.

Whether there are changes to vehicle based on model year is not mandatory. Tesla has typically just added changes whenever they wanted regardless of model year. Most OEMs don't do that unless there is a safety issue. It is easier to cut in the changes all at once for the model year switch. This makes keeping track of service items and warranty issues easier if you can just say a model year instead cars made from DATE1 to DATE2.

People here are trying to figure out if Tesla is going to wait until Jan 1 or switch early and the answer is no one knows. The Model Y forums has posts of people mining NHTSA for information on the VIN with no conclusions.

Reactions: Paul4343
That is not strictly true. The 10th position of the VIN indicates the model year of the car, currently an M for 2021. This is what is legally registered on a title. Sometime around the end of this year, Tesla will change all new VINs to use an N for 2022. So while Tesla is unlike other manufacturers who only make changes to their vehicles on model year boundaries (and typically switch in the August/September timeframe), each Tesla built does have a legal model year.
Ahh, interesting, thanks for the correction!

Reactions: Paul4343
There sure is a 2022 Model year and you need it for insurance I don’t care if the car has been updated. I want to know when it comes time to sell if I have a MY22 or MY21 and I want to know when that changeover will happen even if the car is the same.