Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Tail Lamp and Charge Port Retrofit Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although the seller claimed it was his own picture, it appears to have been taken by one of our members? unless it's came from his customer

• Informative
Reactions: scrapps
My taillight modification has been completed, the picture is for your reference, the outer taillight and the inner taillight are plugged directly into the original plug, no need to change the line or use an adapter, the test function is normal, the turn signal, brake light, and reverse light are only on the right side On, the rear fog light is only on the left side, so that's it, and I'm quite satisfied, thanks to @Hotboy408 and other netizens for their support and suggestions!
View attachment 902325
View attachment 902326
Can you post your part numbers for the side lights 👍

I would buy it but I sold my Model S for this

A7B52EF0-71E9-4E24-951F-539E11675EA9_1_105_c.jpeg

May sell my MYP and get another one though, now that prices have come down.

I have had amazing luck with alibaba retrofit stuff so spending the 1200 would be a no brainer for me. But sadly, can't help you guys from here, other than the reference.

I will say that it's not their own photos, and what typically happens is a manufacturer will make the kit and a bunch of distros will drop ship it with stolen pics. But you'll never find the actual factory that makes it.

That's what credit cards are for though guys.

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
I would buy it but I sold my Model S for this

View attachment 976040

May sell my MYP and get another one though, now that prices have come down.

I have had amazing luck with alibaba retrofit stuff so spending the 1200 would be a no brainer for me. But sadly, can't help you guys from here, other than the reference.

I will say that it's not their own photos, and what typically happens is a manufacturer will make the kit and a bunch of distros will drop ship it with stolen pics. But you'll never find the actual factory that makes it.

That's what credit cards are for though guys.
Nice R8 👍

So for a few older S which has the port on the quarter panel, the refresh corner lights plugs right in. That’s what Song did. So I believe the seller thinks that all pre-refresh will work. I don’t think he has a manufacturer who did a redesign/clone to make the refresh work on pre 2022+.

But I hope I’m wrong. I would happily pay $1K for plug and play solution 😜

Reactions: leecox
Nice R8 👍

So for a few older S which has the port on the quarter panel, the refresh corner lights plugs right in. That’s what Song did. So I believe the seller thinks that all pre-refresh will work. I don’t think he has a manufacturer who did a redesign/clone to make the refresh work on pre 2022+.

But I hope I’m wrong. I would happily pay $1K for plug and play solution 😜

That's an excellent point, just happy to share that there is hope out there for people like me who bought a 1/22 build and felt shafted.

Good luck with your project.

• Funny
Daytona is the only one actively working through it right now. I know he's planning to do a write up for everyone once it's done.

The tricky part is getting the lights to behave correctly given the pattern differences between the model years. If we had easy access to the car config in the software, we could change the pattern. However, we don't. Tesla has those locked down and we commoners can't change it. Otherwise, an adapter needs to be built that takes the old pattern and translates it to the new one for the light assembly.

Once you update this, then you’ll have to update the port. Once you update the port, you’ll have to update the port configuration. How would get Tesla to do that ?
What do you mean by port configuration? It's just the port as I know, maybe a new charging ECU, nothing else as I know.
But common, if we are doing such a job why not to change the port?
We will have a full retrofit then and an original look of 2022.

What do you mean by port configuration? It's just the port as I know, maybe a new charging ECU, nothing else as I know.
But common, if we are doing such a job why not to change the port?
We will have a full retrofit then and an original look of 2022.
I agree that would be the cleanest way. AFAIK the newer style port is not plug and play and requires some software update. How would we get the update ?