Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay! The Tesla rep said the system was showing early March for my delivery, so now I'm suspicious that my car is on either of GLOVIS CENTURY or MORNING CELLO. Does anyone know how long it takes to move the cars to different sites through the UK?
They will likely be delaying delivery until March so they have the new number plates on. Gives them a good news story around the number of newly registered cars.

Reactions: ringi and Tielle
Hi, I placed an order in Dubai for the LHD Model 3 LR on the 4th of February and the sales rep gave me an expected delivery date on 15-30 March 2021. He mentioned that the cars were due in Belgium over the next day or two, anyone know which ship it might be on and when it can be expected in Dubai? Also whether it'll be American or Chinese made, I haven't received a VIN yet.

Wonder if you guys can help - I've placed my order on the 21st of Jan and have been allocated a car today and given the VIN - judging by the VIN number the car comes from China (M3 LR). Is there any way to find out which boat is moving the car?

Wonder if you guys can help - I've placed my order on the 21st of Jan and have been allocated a car today and given the VIN - judging by the VIN number the car comes from China (M3 LR). Is there any way to find out which boat is moving the car?
Not that I'm aware of, but I'm a newbie. Currently the betting is on GLOVIS CENTURY or MORNING CELLO but I don't think you can tell which from the VIN. I've VERY happy to be corrected though!

I think my M3 LR is on that ship too :) I'm interested to know what hardware you mean - heated steering wheel?[/QUOTE
I think my M3 LR is on that ship too :) I'm interested to know what hardware you mean - heated steering wheel?

Yeah, that’s partly what I mean. I’ll move this over to another thread. But I think it will be really interesting for new owners of MIC model 3s to discuss hardware and build quality.

Reactions: Tielle
Hi, I placed an order in Dubai for the LHD Model 3 LR on the 4th of February and the sales rep gave me an expected delivery date on 15-30 March 2021. He mentioned that the cars were due in Belgium over the next day or two, anyone know which ship it might be on and when it can be expected in Dubai? Also whether it'll be American or Chinese made, I haven't received a VIN yet.
Your car is American made. I would expect it to arrive at Jebel Ali on the GLOVIS CAPTAIN on 14 Mar.

Does it look like Spica Leader, that just departed Zeebrugge for Bremenhaver / Germany will continue to Drammen / Norway, or will TM3s to Drammen be delivered at a later time with another ship from Zeebrugge?
SPICA LEADER is due to arrive in Drammen at 0630 on Friday. I think there is a good chance your car will have made it onboard.

• Love
Reactions: Mogens
My car is confirmed to be on Grand Ruby. And Tesla just moved my estimated delivery from 25.2-09.03 to 23.02.-09.03. I would guess that means they are optimistic that Grand Ruby could have a fast atlantic crossing?
My estimate for GRAND RUBY's arrival at Zeebrugge has been 23 Feb for a while now and it still looks good to my eyes. I have just checked the Zeebrugge port schedule (although not very reliable) and it is showing her arriving on 23 Feb too. So I think we can expect a standard crossing speed of around 16.5kts but it is all very much dependent on how her transit of the Panama Canal tomorrow progresses.

HORIZON LEADER continues on her easterly course towards Madeira which is keeping her well to the south of the normal great circle track to try and avoid the worst of the Atlantic weather. She has about 2200NM left to run to Zeebrugge and could easily arrive on the 15th at her present rate however there is some rough weather ahead and is probably the reason why she is still estimating an arrival on the 16th. The Zeebrugge port schedule, which is not very reliable, is showing her arriving on the 15th.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge 16 Feb.

HL Atlantic.png

GRAND RUBY is presently at the southernmost point of her voyage to Europe about 400NM north of the Equator. She will arrive off Panama later this evening and I expect her to anchor there until early tomorrow morning when she will commence her transit. I continue to have her pencilled in to arrive in Zeebrugge on 23 Feb.
I will post some info on the Panama Canal and webcam links so that you can follow her canal transit later today.

Today will likely be the last opportunity to enter the GRAND RUBY competition. ENTER HERE!
The number of entries into this competition remain low, so if you haven’t entered yet , please give it a go.
The competition will close as soon as she enters the locks of the Panama Canal early tomorrow morning.

GrandRubyPac.png

The filthy GLOVIS COMPANION has now converged back on to the normal track to Panama. She is making just over 19kts and is still about 150nm NW of Cabo San Lucas. Nevertheless she is on schedule to arrive at the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal on Monday evening.
My ETA for her in Zeebrugge is 28 Feb.

’Sink the Glovis Companion!”
Decide which square to lay your minefield. You can have 3 entries! A direct hit is required to win. Enter HERE.

Glov Comp Pac Prog.png

LAKE GENEVA has arrived alongside Pier 80 and will commence loading in a few hours time. I’m not expecting her to depart before Saturday night.
I have her pencilled in to arrive in Zeebrugge on 7 Mar

GLOVIS SIRIUS will arrive at Pier 80 on 16 Feb. She will be the biggest ship of Q1 and will very likely be the last ship of Q1 to Europe from Pier 80.
I have pencilled her in to arrive in Zeebrugge around 12 Mar.

GLOVIS CENTURY This ship is loaded with the first MIC RHD Model 3s for UK and Ireland.
She is now in the Med south of Crete and making just over 17kts towards Southampton. Her ETA there has slipped a couple of hours and is now 0100 on 17 Feb.

Century Med prog.png

MORNING CELLO I suspect this ship may be heading to the UK with Tesla Model 3s onboard too.
She is still maintaining over 18 kts as she makes her way northwards through the Red Sea. She is scheduled to arrive at the southern entrance of the Suez Canal on Friday and my current estimate for her arrival in Southampton is 21 Feb.

Morn Cello Sin Suez.png

I will continue to loosely monitor the following ships that are routing from Shanghai to Zeebrugge for a few more days but there has been a conspicuous absence of any supporting evidence emerging that they have any Teslas onboard.

TORONTO due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 3 Mar, currently S of India enroute to Suez.
MORNING CAPO due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 6 Mar, currently in the northern Malaccan Straits enroute to Suez.

GRAND RUBY is presently heading up the Gulf of Panama and I expect her to anchor this evening just off the entrance to the canal.
She will have paid a fee to jump the queue and so I am pretty confident she will transit the canal tomorrow.
In the wee small hours of tomorrow morning a canal pilot will board the ship and she will then head up towards the first set of locks, the Miraflores locks. This is the first of a set of two locks which will lift the ship a total of 85ft. After Miraflores the ship will motor the short distance to the second set of locks, the Pedro Miguel Locks. The ship will now be level with Gatun lake and she can make her way to the final set of locks, the Gatun locks which will then lower the ship 85ft to the Caribbean in 3 stages.

The Panama Canal provides a shortcut for shipping travelling from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean and vice-versa. Instead of having to route to the south of South America and then back up, a distance of about 10,000 nm the canal offers a mere 51 mile transit. This comes at a big (normally well into 6 figures USD) price, calculated by a complicated formula, designed to maximise revenue to the canal operators. The original canal opened in 1914 and was an immediate success. In the first year it handled about 1000 ships and by 2008 it was handling nearly 15,000. These figures alone don’t tell the whole story because ships were getting bigger and bigger and one of the limits to the size of ships being built was the size of the locks in the Panama Canal. Ships that were built to fit (just) into the locks were described as Panamax ships. That is why so many cruise ships, container ships and car carriers are 32.3m wide and have a draft of under 12.6m.

The expansion of global trade and the increase in shipping meant that the canal was becoming a bottleneck with frequent delays and queues of ships waiting to transit. Fees for queue jumping became ever more expensive and ever more necessary to avoid delays. Alternatives to the canal were seriously being considered eg the NW passage and a number of alternative canal routes that avoided Panama completely. Panama relies on the income from the canal and could not afford for any of the alternatives plans to be viable and so the plan for the expansion to the existing canal system was commenced in 2007 and completed in 2016. This introduced two new sets of locks built parallel to the existing locks. Significantly, they now allow ships up to 366m long, 49m wide and with a draft of up to 15m to transit the canal. The new locks are of a modern design which use less water and are regarded as safer and more reliable too.

So a Panamax ship like GRAND RUBY will use the old locks - Miraflores, Pedro Miguel and Gatun locks to transit whereas bigger ships like GLOVIS SIRIUS have to use the new locks at Cocoli and Agua Clara.

The canal is big business and so is generally a pretty slick operation entirely dependent on how much you have paid. The Tesla ships are normally booked in several weeks in advance and are given a pretty high priority. Delays of more than 24 hours are rare and normally we can expect the ships to start their northbound transit in the small hours of the morning and be in the Caribbean around 8 hours later.

There are webcams at the locks so you can watch the ships going through. The link to the webcams are here There are plenty of youtube videos and documentaries on the canal, its operation and construction, many of which are very good.

For GRAND RUBY, I expect her to be at Miraflores around 6-7 am UK time tomorrow. By the time she reaches Gatun locks it will be daylight. I expect her to be in the Caribbean shortly after 3pm UK time.

cfabbfa9-7989-4d9f-82b9-fdbe12efee8a-png.582713

Thanks to @Mister J for providing the above graphic.

• Informative
Reactions: EricVet and Tielle
HORIZON LEADER is currently maintaining nearly 19kts about 500NM SW of Madeira in fine weather. Later today however, I expect the weather conditions to start to slowly deteriorate commencing with the magnitude of the swell increasing significantly. Her strategy of heading closer towards the Portuguese coast is good and is keeping her well clear of the worst of the weather that is present further out into the Atlantic. Her ETA for Zeebrugge 16 Feb.

HL Atlantic.png

GRAND RUBY is currently making her way through the Panama Canal. Her transit so far appears to be ‘textbook’ and there don’t appear to be any obvious delays at Gatun Locks for her either. She no doubt has already decided which route into the Atlantic she is going to take. There are essentially 2 choices, the Windward Passage or the Mona Passage. So far this quarter, the Mona Passage has been favoured because it offered the better weather options for the Atlantic crossing and In my opinion, nothing has changed. We won’t know which passage she has decided to take until about 2 hours after she has cleared Gatun Locks.
My forecasted ETA Zeebrugge of 23 Feb for her is now confirmed.

The revolting GLOVIS COMPANION has now converged back on to the normal track to Panama. She is still making just over 19kts and is about 100nm S of Puerto Vallarta. She is on schedule to arrive at the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal on Monday evening.

Decide which square to lay your minefield. You can have 3 entries! A direct hit is required to win. Enter HERE.

Glov Comp Pac Prog.png

LAKE GENEVA continues to load at Pier 80. I’m not expecting her to depart before Saturday night.

GLOVIS SIRIUS will arrive at Pier 80 on 16 Feb. She will be the biggest ship of Q1 and will very likely be the last ship of Q1 to Europe from Pier 80.

GLOVIS CENTURY This ship is loaded with the first MIC RHD Model 3s for UK and Ireland.
She lost a little bit of progress as she battled a 25kt headwind during the night. That wind is due to subside over the next few hours and the weather for the next 24hrs is looking good. Her ETA for Southampton is 0100 on 17 Feb.

Century Med prog.png

MORNING CELLO I suspect this ship may be heading to the UK with Tesla Model 3s onboard too.
She has slowed slightly to just under 16kts as she approaches the Gulf of Suez. She is scheduled to arrive at the southern entrance of the Suez Canal tomorrow and my current estimate for her arrival in Southampton is 21 Feb.

Morn Cello Sin Suez.png

I will continue to loosely monitor the following ships that are routing from Shanghai to Zeebrugge for a few more days but there has been a conspicuous absence of any supporting evidence emerging that they have any Teslas onboard.

TORONTO due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 3 Mar, currently in the Arabian Sea enroute to Suez.
MORNING CAPO due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 6 Mar, currently crossing the Bay of Bengal enroute to Suez.

HORIZON LEADER is currently maintaining nearly 19kts about 500NM SW of Madeira in fine weather. Later today however, I expect the weather conditions to start to slowly deteriorate commencing with the magnitude of the swell increasing significantly. Her strategy of heading closer towards the Portuguese coast is good and is keeping her well clear of the worst of the weather that is present further out into the Atlantic. Her ETA for Zeebrugge 16 Feb.

View attachment 635806

GRAND RUBY is currently making her way through the Panama Canal. Her transit so far appears to be ‘textbook’ and there don’t appear to be any obvious delays at Gatun Locks for her either. She no doubt has already decided which route into the Atlantic she is going to take. There are essentially 2 choices, the Windward Passage or the Mona Passage. So far this quarter, the Mona Passage has been favoured because it offered the better weather options for the Atlantic crossing and In my opinion, nothing has changed. We won’t know which passage she has decided to take until about 2 hours after she has cleared Gatun Locks.
My forecasted ETA Zeebrugge of 23 Feb for her is now confirmed.

The revolting GLOVIS COMPANION has now converged back on to the normal track to Panama. She is still making just over 19kts and is about 100nm S of Puerto Vallarta. She is on schedule to arrive at the Pacific entrance to the Panama Canal on Monday evening.

View attachment 635807

LAKE GENEVA continues to load at Pier 80. I’m not expecting her to depart before Saturday night.

She lost a little bit of progress as she battled a 25kt headwind during the night. That wind is due to subside over the next few hours and the weather for the next 24hrs is looking good. Her ETA for Southampton is 0100 on 17 Feb.

View attachment 635808

She has slowed slightly to just under 16kts as she approaches the Gulf of Suez. She is scheduled to arrive at the southern entrance of the Suez Canal tomorrow and my current estimate for her arrival in Southampton is 21 Feb.

View attachment 635809

TORONTO due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 3 Mar, currently in the Arabian Sea enroute to Suez.
MORNING CAPO due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 6 Mar, currently crossing the Bay of Bengal enroute to Suez.

thanks a lot @Mr Miserable for great posts and info. Keep wondering but always forget to ask... ETA times are GMT times or local times (Port times)? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.