Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have the link to this webcam? Would be great to see Model 3 unloading.

I just searched Southampton Webcam on YouTube

Unfortunately, the only webcams I could find were at the ferry terminal. So caught the ship passing by but nothing else.

There used to be one at the cruise terminal - which just happens to be berth 106 - having joined many cruises from the Mayflower terminal. But that seems to be gone now.

Such a pretty sight from Drammen Havn, Norway
upload_2021-2-19_14-4-30.png

I have been told that GLOVIS SIRIUS is not the last ship from Pier 80 this quarter from someone who should know.
Mmmmm. That has got me thinking and searching.
There are as always lots of suspects. I'd be surprised if the mystery ship is heading to Europe though because it would arrive too late to allow distribution and delivery. At least, I think.
Looking at the dates - let's say GLOVIS SIRIUS departs on Monday night and the mystery ship starts to load on Tuesday and departs on Friday it would arrive in Zeebrugge around 19 Mar. That's maybe not too late, after all.
Whatever,even if its heading to Asia the mystery ship must be able to start loading very soon , like Tuesday - that narrows my search.
The list will include GLOVIS STELLA, GRAND MARK, FRONTIER ACE, ANDROMEDA SPIRIT, COSCO TENGFEI, EMINENT ACE, GLOBAL LEADER. There could be others. Something to keep me busy.....

Reactions: EricVet and XHabjab
I have been told that GLOVIS SIRIUS is not the last ship from Pier 80 this quarter from someone who should know.
Mmmmm. That has got me thinking and searching.
There are as always lots of suspects. I'd be surprised if the mystery ship is heading to Europe though because it would arrive too late to allow distribution and delivery. At least, I think.
Looking at the dates - let's say GLOVIS SIRIUS departs on Monday night and the mystery ship starts to load on Tuesday and departs on Friday it would arrive in Zeebrugge around 19 Mar. That's maybe not too late, after all.
Whatever,even if its heading to Asia the mystery ship must be able to start loading very soon , like Tuesday - that narrows my search.
The list will include GLOVIS STELLA, GRAND MARK, FRONTIER ACE, ANDROMEDA SPIRIT, COSCO TENGFEI, EMINENT ACE, GLOBAL LEADER. There could be others. Something to keep me busy.....
I saw the Grand Uranus just arriving in Tacoma could it next be taking Teslas to the Asia Pacific?

GLOVIS CENTURY departed Southampton earlier, empty. I suspect that cars destined for Ireland are being moved by road.

GRAND RUBY has changed her course and is now heading towards the NW corner of Spain and the Bay of Biscay. She is presently about 330NM WNW of Madeira and is making just over 15 kts. The winds there are only about 20kts however there is a significant Atlantic swell.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge has now slipped to midday on 25 Feb.

Grand Ruby Atlantic.png

The obnoxious GLOVIS COMPANION has over the last 24hrs averaged 17.5kts on her rhumb line course of 060 degrees. This will take her through the Azores and hopefully avoid the worst of the Atlantic weather. At the moment the weather is looking OK for her until possibly Tuesday when she is likely to see a deterioration. Her ETA for Zeebrugge is 2100Z on 27 Feb.

Glovis Companion Atlantic Progress.png

LAKE GENEVA has slowed to just over 11kts. This is not weather related. She is currently about 230NM off the coast of El Salvador and has about 830NM to go to Panama. There could be any number of reasons for her slowing but I suspect it may be due to her canal transit booking being delayed. I will continue to monitor her progress but at the moment it looks like she will not transit the canal until Wednesday.
At the moment her estimate for Zeebrugge remains 1900Z on 6 Mar, but that will soon become unachievable.

If you haven’t already, now is a great time to enter the LAKE GENEVA competition. It’s free! ENTER HERE

Geneva Pac.png

MORNING CAPO There is good evidence to suggest that she is carrying some RHD Model 3s for the UK and Ireland onboard. Annoyingly I’m still not receiving satellite derived positions from this ship (nether are any of the other tracking services either) and the last satellite position report in the system was on Monday when she was SW of India. I estimate she has now entered the Red Sea. Her itinerary shows her heading to Zeebrugge where she will arrive on 6 Mar. The Zeebrugge port schedule is showing her as arriving there on 5 Mar. How UK bound vehicles will be sent on to Southampton is yet to be determined.

Capo to Suez.png

GLOVIS SIRIUS is alongside Pier 80 and is continuing to load. I have yet to have it confirmed but I doubt she will leave before Monday night. She will be the biggest ship of Q1 and the last ship of Q1 to Europe from Pier 80.
I have pencilled her in to arrive in Zeebrugge around 15 Mar.

There is another, presently unidentified, ship to load at Pier 80 after GLOVIS SIRIUS. I think that this ship is unlikely to be bound for Europe. I have ruled out a number of vessels already and my shortlist is now reduced to four. The requirement for entry to my list was simply being nearby and I’m working through them finding reasons why they should not remain on the list. I’m hoping that the San Francisco port schedule will get published soon and reveal a name, but in the meantime the 4 remaining possibles are GRAND MARK, COSCO TENGFEI, EMINENT ACE, and GLOBAL LEADER. Reducing that list further will keep me busy for the rest of the day, at least.

*** HOT NEWS ***

VIKING BRAVERY will depart New Jersey on 4 Mar to Zeebrugge.

This continues the pattern of Tesla squeezing in just one more shipment to Europe each quarter by shipping from the US East Coast. I estimate that this shipment could arrive in Zeebrugge around 12 Mar, ahead of GLOVIS SIRIUS.

A reliable source in San Francisco has just informed me that the mystery ship 'is no mystery' and named it as GRAND MARK.
She is presently heading to Benicia and will arrive there later tonight once GLOVIS STELLA departs.

My source says he will update me on GLOVIS SIRIUS' planned departure as soon as he finds out, although last time he checked loading appeared to be going very well and he wouldn't be too surprised if she left on Monday morning sometime or even late tomorrow.

Shipping containers in various guises have been around since the 1800’s but it was an American trucker called Malcolm McLean that devised in the mid 1950’s the modern intermodal container - a container that could be loaded quickly and securely onto ships, onto railcars and onto road trailers. Its effect was to greatly reduce transportation costs and to significantly increase the speed of transporting goods. To facilitate the container, ships were initially modified, then redesigned and finally purpose built to transport as many containers as possible within constraints of cost and ship size.

Containerisation affected ports too. San Francisco was a big bustling port (Tesla Model 3s are shipped from Pier 80) but there wasn’t room to park the thousands of containers and so it quickly went into decline and instead across the other side of the San Francisco Bay the new port of Oakland with its big cranes, rail yard and acres of land given over to holding stacks of containers quickly became the cargo hub of the US west coast. Tesla Model S and X are shipped from Oakland to Europe by rail and to Australia and New Zealand and Asia by ship in standard 40’ containers.

Every year it is estimated that of the 220 million containers that are transported globally by ship about 1,300 are lost overboard. In percentage terms it’s tiny and barely worth considering (0.00006%) So insuring them is not a bad business to be in. Many of those container losses are due to major accidents when a ship sinks but hundreds are lost in individual ‘minor’ incidents when a ship loses one or two containers overboard often in bad weather. The numbers suggest then that it’s a frequent occurrence. Indeed, readers of the Daily Mail will recognise the regular story of rubber ducks, trainers and Lego being washed up on our shores from containers that have been lost at sea.

The trouble with losing a container overboard is not just it’s loss and the commercial loss of it’s contents. The containers often do not sink and can float around being a major safety hazard to shipping. Even more dangerous are containers that partially sink or float just beneath the surface. These subsurface containers are every yachtsman’s greatest fear since hitting one of these invisible objects can easily rip the keel off and capsize their boat in an instant. Just last year one of the yachts taking part in the Vendee Globe round the world yacht race had to retire after hitting an unknown underwater object. She was very lucky and her keel remained attached. In September 1994 the ferry Estonia sank in the Baltic. New revelations from a Swedish documentary in September 2020 show that the ship has a 4 metre long gash in her hull most likely caused by a collision. Whilst conspiracy theories abound and a mysterious submarine blamed, some are quietly suggesting a lost container could be the most likely culprit.

In Dec last year a ship called ONE APUS lost no less than 1,900 containers overboard in one go during a storm 1600nm NW of Hawaii. Of those 1,900 containers 64 of them (so far) have been classified as carrying dangerous cargo. The environmental cost is still to be determined but is unlikely to be addressed. In October last year, a sister ship ONE AQUILA, lost an estimated 100 containers in to the Pacific. In January this year 750 containers were lost from the MAERSK ESSEN in to the Pacific and earlier this month the MAERSK EINDHOVEN lost another 265 containers again into the Pacific. The figures are suddenly rocketing and something needs to be done about it.

In 1912 the passenger shipping industry was given a wake-up call as a result of the sinking of the TITANIC and as a result the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea came into being in 1914 which set new standards of safety. This convention has been subject to continuous amendment and improvement over the years. The tragic disaster also led to the foundation of the International Ice Patrol which even now monitor and reports on icebergs in the busy North Atlantic and the convention of a continual monitoring of a radio by ships at sea to listen for distress calls.

The ONE APUS incident needs to become the impetus for the international shipping industry to take the issue of container losses at sea much more seriously and to solve the problem once and for all. The problem hasn’t been entirely ignored but regulations concerning the weight and balance of containers, their packing and lashing are slowly being tweaked. The mandatory reporting of the loss of a container at sea would also highlight the true scale of the problem and may also help in locating them before they become a hazard.

The elephant in the room which remains unaddressed is the poor construction of some containers which can cause them to collapse when stacked. It’s time that nettle was firmly grasped and in the absence of international agreement, the shipping lines/ports need to take the lead by being satisfied that each container they handle has a proven construction pedigree. Would anyone dare to point out that all these recent incidents had recently manufactured Chinese containers involved?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tielle and browellm
Do you think Berlin will make any RHD cars?
I don't know what the plan is. I would think that the LHD market for the Model Y will keep them busy enough initially.
China is already producing the Model Y and will be producing RHD versions for Japan, AUSNZ etc in due course and so I would think they will supply the UK market too. The ships are bringing Model 3s and so why not ship Model Ys too?
I'm sure in the long term Berlin will end up supplying the UK with both Model 3 and Y, but not for a while yet.

Reactions: Llama.
Mr M - can Tesla tell you what ship your car is on, once you have a VIN?
They know which ship it's on but whether they tell you is another thing! Some nice agents do, some don't. From feedback over the years there would appear to be a field on the their computer system that tells them exactly where the car is at that instant. It doesn't say what happens next or detail the next stage of its journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.