Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been chatting to an agent. No massive reveals, but when I asked about my M3 LR ‘august’ delivery he came back as estimating Sept. He did say however that the August deliveries would predominantly be Performance models followed by SR+ and LR. …but then again he also said the first vessel is on its way, but the others haven’t left China yet….
From all the good work being shared in this thread (thanks all), I think we now know this is an incorrect statement of fact.
Until then, I’ll be testing my patience awaiting a VIN allocation update….

update on my order, Tesla Rep told me that my Documents for German registration of my M3 LRW will be sent to me as of tomorrow, I ordered on 3 July and paid on 7 July ( I have received a VIN as of 3.7) , my M3 LR has been confirmed on a ship which sailed off SHG on 4.7 (I couldn't get the Name of the ship out of the Tesla Rep. although I tried hard...) normally these documents come approx 14-21 days ahead of delivery to the customer . My account states delivery window of 3.8. - 15.8

Reactions: Mr Miserable
Another post, another name, what about this @Mr Miserable?

MORNING POST, leaved SHG at 30. June (too early?) and directly to Suezcanal. Cross the channel tomorrow.
Dont know, if she was at SHG-Tesla-Pier or not.

View attachment 686185

Greets and just my 2c
As I said before if I named every ship that called at Shanghai that is heading to Europe the list would be well into double figures.
In this case MORNING POST will be heading to Bremerhaven, so I don't think she is carrying Teslas
The next ship you may discover is MORNING LYNN and again no I don't think she is carrying Teslas either - if I did I would have named her.

update on my order, Tesla Rep told me that my Documents for German registration of my M3 LRW will be sent to me as of tomorrow, I ordered on 3 July and paid on 7 July ( I have received a VIN as of 3.7) , my M3 LR has been confirmed on a ship which sailed off SHG on 4.7 (I couldn't get the Name of the ship out of the Tesla Rep. although I tried hard...) normally these documents come approx 14-21 days ahead of delivery to the customer . My account states delivery window of 3.8. - 15.8
HOEGH TARGET departed Shanghai on 4 Jul. She is scheduled to arrive in Zeebrugge on 8 Aug. I discounted this ship previously since it would never have been able to achieve a 3 Aug delivery.
CARMEN however is due to arrive on 2 Aug.

If you have received your VIN, you can check if your car is on a Hoegh RoRo by entering the VIN at this URL My Cargo
It will give you the ship name, loading date and port and unloading date and port.
According to this tool, I have seen Hoegh Oslo unloading for August 16th and Hoegh Target for the 19th.

now this is interesting Hoegh Autoliners has a page:

where you can identify the ship where your car is on by inputing the VIN number....mine is not on any High Autoliners but over in the German TTF forum a lot of users have tracked their Car to the HOEGH OSLO & on the HOEGH Target.....so mine is not on any HOEGH ships that means either CARMEN or maybe Glovis superior

As t
Dear @Mr Miserable
My M3P from Q2 delivery is still on ONE EAGLE on route to Thailand. It is now in precautionary stealth mode since my amateur tracking told me, which was since July 15th. It’s been 6 days now and I still cannot see her current location. I wondered if she is still Ok, could you please…
Still looking OK!
The ship is about 200NM west of Kerala, India heading for the southern tip of Sri Lanka.
The sea in this area is a little rough at the moment and so she is travelling quite slowly for a container ship at 13.6 kts.
Next stop is Singapore on 26 Jul.

Tyhoon In-Fa is now a category 2 cyclone and it is still deepening. The centre hasn't moved much - it remains centred south of Okinawa. The forecasters are now saying that it will quickly develop into a category 3 typhoon with winds of 125mph. At the moment we are seeing winds of 96 mph and gusts of 115 mph. Additionally the predicted track has tilted to a more NW'ly direction which will now take in Shanghai. It should arrive there on Monday. The hope is it will have decayed to a tropical storm or even tropical depression status by then but nevertheless Shanghai will be on the northern side of the storm and it will still be potentially disruptive.
GLOVIS SUN recently departed Shanghai and instead of turning south and running the gauntlet to pass between Taiwan and mainland China has turned to the northeast taking the decision to keep well clear. Very wise.

Someone at TFF Forum in Germany (Tesla Schiff-Tracking in 2021 (Q3 und Q4)) posted a link where you can check if your VIN is on one of the HOEGH AUTLINER Ships and when it will be at the destination. Fantastic!

Unfortunately my Performance is not listed - so I assume it is on a different carriers ship.

Greetings
Erik

now this is interesting Hoegh Autoliners has a page:

where you can identify the ship where your car is on by inputing the VIN number....mine is not on any High Autoliners but over in the German TTF forum a lot of users have tracked their Car to the HOEGH OSLO & on the HOEGH Target.....so mine is not on any HOEGH ships that means either CARMEN or maybe Glovis superior
Cool, found my car!
Thanks for the link

According to this tool, I have seen Hoegh Oslo unloading for August 16th and Hoegh Target for the 19th.
To correct myself, Hoegh Target is expected on August 8th. It was incorrect information that a customer told me and I thought it was coming from the Hoegh Website after checking its VIN.
Something weird is that a French customer received a delivery appointment for his Model 3 SR+ on August 6th. So far Hoegh Target is the first ship confirmed by Tesla and arrives two days later in Belgium so either this appointment is a mistake by the Tesla Advisor or there is another ship before that, maybe Carmen?

Reactions: Mr Miserable
As t

Still looking OK!
The ship is about 200NM west of Kerala, India heading for the southern tip of Sri Lanka.
The sea in this area is a little rough at the moment and so she is travelling quite slowly for a container ship at 13.6 kts.
Next stop is Singapore on 26 Jul.
Such a relief to hear that, thank Very much for your delighted info. My best wishes to u n all in UK.

Current positions of ships of interest:

CARMEN is not shown, she is currently anchored off Piraeus.

21 Jul.png

Typhoon In-Fa remains a category 2 cyclone for the moment but is forecast to increase to category 3 tomorrow afternoon. It remains slow moving (6mph) but that speed is expected to increase in the coming days. The good news is that it looks like the secondary depression has not formed and will not amount to anything. Additionally no loaded 'Tesla ships' are being affected.
As far as shipping is concerned, we are already seeing many ships routing to the east (behind) the storm and those who decide to run the gauntlet through the Taiwan Straits are mostly hugging the coast of China. This will become an increasingly risky strategy as the typhoon progresses westwards trapping ships against a lee shore.
Screenshot 2021-07-21 at 20.39.59.png

I would expect to see ships vacating ports and anchorages in the path of the typhoon within the next 24 hours - contrary to popular opinion it is much safer for a ship to be at sea in extreme weather than in a port.
Not everyone will get out of the way of the storm as it remains a sad fact that commercial pressures on the crew are much greater in the shipping world than in aviation where a weather diversion or delay is not questioned to the same degree. Whilst safety lessons from aviation are being applied on the bridges of many ships it would be a gross exaggeration to suggest that they are widely accepted or well adopted.

In Feb 19 the GOLDEN RAY docked at Pier 80 and loaded its precious Tesla cargo and departed for China.

This was a comparatively new ship entering service in 2017, benefitting from a modern bridge and all the advantages that modern computer technology can bring. Although like many other pure vehicle carriers she was 200 metres long she was a bit wider at just over 35 metres. That extra width allowed her to carry up to 7700 cars. She left Pier 80 on 13 Feb 19 and arrived safely in Shanghai on 1 Mar 19. I mention it if only because this ship was, for at least 2 weeks or so, a Tesla chartered vessel.

Six months later disaster struck.

On 8 Sep 19 the GOLDEN RAY was leaving Brunswick, Georgia en route to Baltimore. She had onboard about 4500 Kia and Hyundai cars and as she entered the Atlantic she started to list. In an action reminscent of the HOEGH OSAKA incident in the Solent in Jan 2015, the local pilot immediately steered the vessel towards shallow water to prevent a total capsize. 23 crew members were rescued unharmed although for 4 of them trapped in the engine room with an uncontrolled fire it was a close run thing. The HOEGH OSAKA was refloated by the salvage company, subsequently repaired and quickly returned to service. That was not the case with the GOLDEN RAY - she was written-off and is being totally dismantled in situ, a process that is still ongoing now.

The US NTSB has yet to report on the GOLDEN RAY accident but the UK Maritime Accident Investigation Branch has issued its report on the HOEGH OSAKA incident which is an interesting read.

There were some US Coastguard hearings in September 20 from which you can get a very good idea of what went on.

Additionally @XHabjab posted here a very informative post with links to the GOLDEN RAY accident.
There is an excellent article here that covers the incident with some great photos.
The latest update is here

Last edited:
Something weird is that a French customer received a delivery appointment for his Model 3 SR+ on August 6th.
Coming back to this statement, I have also seen a customer in Germany with a definitive appointment with precise hour to come pickup the car on August 4th.
Carmen being still off Athens, I don't think it will be able to reach Zeebrugge before July 31st so unless cars are unloaded in Athens and transported to Germany by truck or train it is going to be this ship.
I see one option (suggested by Franco) for those early appointments is Phoenix Leader currently off the coast of Portugal and expected to be at Bristol, UK by July 24th.

1626950418831.png

Status
Not open for further replies.