Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Typhoon In-Fa may not make it to category 3, it's winds peaked at 110mph and have slowly reduced over the last 12 hours to a mere 100mph. It remains almost stationary too. Clearly this storm has left the forecasters scratching their heads as it's not behaving quite as expected.

so Tesla Yesterday shifted my delivery window from 03.08-15.08 to 29.08-04-09.. I have received my registration papers and the COC where it states that my car has been biuld on the 03.07. I called my Tesla rep to ask why the delivery date has shifted and he said he didn't know, in the System my car has N/A as delivery date and Status.....wheras he earlier told me that it had been shipped on the 4th July from SHG

Reactions: Mr Miserable
The latest twist in Typhoon In-Fa is that her winds slackened enough for it to be downgraded to a category 1 storm. It is now moving a little faster - it's now racing towards the NW at 4mph! The forecasters are now saying it will strengthen back to being a category 2 storm and it will continue on it's NW'ly course.
For shipping this storm is being a pain in the backside - it's behaviour is not as predictable as it should be, it's blocking access to the Straits of Taiwan and is slow moving. Additionally ports in the path will be preparing for the storm's arrival but the arrival date keeps slipping to the right inducing "Typhoon preparedness fatigue". To be honest, I don't actually know if such a syndrome exists but if it does, Typhoon In-Fa will be a textbook example of it. It's now looking like Shanghai will have to wait until Tuesday for it's arrival when it was originally forecast to arrive there yesterday!

Screenshot 2021-07-23 at 09.40.16.png

The picture above shows a mass of northbound shipping sheltering in the lee of Taiwan waiting for the storm to pass before continuing northwards. This is going to produce a wave of arrivals at the ports and inevitable future delays. There is a lot of loitering going on to the north waiting for the storm to pass. Some ships can be seen routing around the storm to the east but will be encountering heavier weather than anticipated because of the storms lethargic progress. Some ships noticing the slow advance of the storm have decided to make a bolt for it and run down the coast towards Taiwan whilst a couple of ships appear completely oblivious to the threat and are sailing their normal routes. The danger here is shown by the ship marked in green heading SW by the 't' in East China Sea. This is a bulk carrier BASIC PIONEER heading for Vietnam that initially decided to route to the east of the storm but noticed that the storm wasn't moving as quickly as expected and so has now decided to make a run for the Staits of Taiwan by crossing directly in front of the eye of the typhoon. The forecast remains for the storm to speed up and so this is quite a gamble. She will hopefully get away with it. Others will be watching her progress and the danger is that others may decide to run the gauntlet too, but they will be too late. In equally precaurious positions are those northbound (bulk carriers) vessels north of Taiwan - this is not the place to be at the moment, they will be battling the 40kt winds and 6m high waves head-on and it's only going to get worse.

over in the German Forum a lot of people have had their Delivery Window shifted yesterday towards week end of August beginning of September
Thank you for posting this information. I have to say I was extremely puzzled by the German (and French) delivery windows and could only offer CARMEN as a possibility. I think we can probably dismiss CARMEN completely now.

Reactions: Milhooz
Thank you for posting this information. I have to say I was extremely puzzled by the German (and French) delivery windows and could only offer CARMEN as a possibility. I think we can probably dismiss CARMEN completely now.
Yes I still did not see anyone having been informed their car is on Carmen. In France we still have delivery dates for August 6th but if they were shifted for Germany I'm sure they will shift here as well soon. Carmen is currently unloading at Athens and is expected at Barcelona on the 27th. This date and port is still matching for a delivery date around August 4-8th but as far as we know, Tesla has never used a port in the Mediterranean Sea before.
For mainland Europe, priority would be Zeebrugge , eventually Le Havre (once and still went to Zeebrugge after) or Amsterdam (at least one time in 2019). For UK, it was mainly Southampton if I remember correctly.

Yes I still did not see anyone having been informed their car is on Carmen. In France we still have delivery dates for August 6th but if they were shifted for Germany I'm sure they will shift here as well soon. Carmen is currently unloading at Athens and is expected at Barcelona on the 27th. This date and port is still matching for a delivery date around August 4-8th but as far as we know, Tesla has never used a port in the Mediterranean Sea before.
For mainland Europe, priority would be Zeebrugge , eventually Le Havre (once and still went to Zeebrugge after) or Amsterdam (at least one time in 2019). For UK, it was mainly Southampton if I remember correctly.
Amsterdam has been a lot more popular than you quote. We may see a ship or two calling into Oslo, or possibly Drammen, after Zeebrugge too this quarter. Southampton is the port of entry for all vehicles heading for the UK and Ireland.
We may see a shipment offloaded at a Mediterranean port this quarter destined for Israel despite the situation there improving of late however I suspect insurance is the driving force here.

Ships currently confirmed to be enroute to the UK with Teslas onboard are PAGNA and GLOVIS SUPREME.

Ships currently enroute to Europe with Tesla cargo confirmed to be onboard are HOEGH TARGET, VOLANS LEADER, HOEGH OSLO, HELIOS RAY and PASSERO.

Also enroute to Europe and are suspected Tesla ships are GLOVIS SUPERIOR and TORINO. If you have been told your car is on one of these ships by Tesla please post that information on this thread. I believe TORINO may be heading to Le Havre.

There are many other ships that are also enroute to Europe that have called at Shanghai but I don't regard them as suspects, for the moment anyway.

23 Jul.png

Identifying Tesla ships this quarter was made much more difficult by Tesla using scheduled liner services instead of whole ship charters earlier this month to ship vehicles that were manufactured in Q2 but for some reason or other were not shipped in Q2. I personally don't expect this practice to continue.
In view of the complete absence of any ships from Pier 80, the expected shipment of Model Ys from Shanghai to Europe starting next month and the existing high demand for Model 3, I would expect to see about 12 whole ship charters of Q3 produced vehicles this quarter. I also expect this quarter to have the traditional Tesla 'end-of-quarter craziness' which we missed in Q2 and so expect to see the final shipments to Europe and the UK departing Shanghai as late as 23 Aug. So, possibly another 9 or so ships to go.
We shall see.....

new Ships on the "Tesla" pier in SHG : GLOVIS SUMMIT, MORNING LAURA. what's your take Mr. Miserable?
MORNING LAURA should head off to PTK S Korea although she will eventually end up in Zeebrugge 10 Sep. Not a likely suspect.
GLOVIS SUMMIT I have not seen her itinerary but I note she is scheduled to be in Southampton on 20 August and so is a prime suspect.

Reactions: Desmo1
I believe TORINO may be heading to Le Havre
If this picture is correct then TORINO has NIO vehicles aboard, bound for Norway. I very much doubt they have enough to fill the ship so there must be other vehicles aboard.

1627057920019.png

If this picture is correct then TORINO has NIO vehicles aboard, bound for Norway. I very much doubt they have enough to fill the ship so there must be other vehicles aboard.

View attachment 687261
Maybe the first batch of MYs to Norway are also on Torino? Waiting patiently to pick up mine in Drammen in the end of August.

As expected MORNING LAURA has departed to S Korea but more importantly GLOVIS SUMMIT has departed for the Suez Canal!
She only spent 15 hours in port and so she is probably only half loaded at most.
As I mentioned earlier I have noted that she is scheduled to depart Southampton on 20 Aug. By my calculations if she is heading to Southampton she should arrive on 18 Aug which fits nicely but that is only 3 days after GLOVIS SUPREME arrives. I'm doubtful both ships would be carrying Teslas to Southampton which leads me to think that GLOVIS SUMMIT will be going elsewhere. Le Havre?

Unusually, the vehicle piers have been left vacant - a very rare sight. Sadly they could be vacant for several days as Typhoon In-Fa is moving very slowly. This will mean prolonged periods of torrential rain and possible flooding.
As a matter of interest, Tropical Depression Nepartak has formed which looks like it will develop into a Tropical Storm and head for Japan and possibly disrupt the Olympics on Tuesday/Wednesday.
As they say, it never rains but it pours.

Reactions: Erol
Amsterdam has been a lot more popular than you quote. We may see a ship or two calling into Oslo, or possibly Drammen, after Zeebrugge too this quarter. Southampton is the port of entry for all vehicles heading for the UK and Ireland.
Yes sorry I meant as a first stop in Europe.
the expected shipment of Model Ys from Shanghai to Europe starting next month
Helios Ray and Glovis Supreme carrying Model Y, confirmed by Tesla to French customers who received their VIN this week.

As the docks in Shanghai lie empty it's time to see what's happening at Pier 80 especially since we have a ship inbound!
Yes, the 2nd ship of the quarter is about to arrive at Pier 80. GRAND RACE will arrive alongside in a few hours time.
I have no idea where she is heading but I am pretty sure it won't be Europe and will most likely be South Korea or Taiwan, in my opinion.
We also don't know how long she will be loading for . The latest satellite image of the pier I have seen was dated 19 Jul and showed the pier to be completely empty.
GRAND RACE is quite an old ship and is significantly smaller than her more modern counterparts. Whilst this would imply a shorter loading time it isn't necessarily so since larger modern ships are designed for fast loading and unloading in mind at the outset with wider loading ramps, less pillars, wider turning circles onboard and continual 2-way traffic is possible. Modern ships are also much better lit and ventilated. Good ventilation control is essential even when carrying electric vehicles as it keeps temperature and humidity levels under control. It is also essential to prevent any build up of gases and are generally required to provide at least six complete air changes per hour.

Reactions: NATO and Milhooz
It looks like Typhoon In-Fa is beginning to fizzle out. That's perhaps an exaggeration since the storm remains a category 1 cyclone but the storm looks like it will not grow stronger just weaker. At the moment it's on the cusp of being downgraded to a tropical storm. It has sped up slightly in that it is now moving NW at 10mph but is still blocking the normally very busy Straits of Taiwan. Whilst the wind may be decreasing the storm will still bring long periods of torrential rain and the risk of severe flooding to mainland China remains.
GLOVIS SUMMIT left Shanghai yesterday and instead of turning south actually turned north and anchored 150NM northeast of Shanghai, well out of the way of this storm. She is not alone and many vessels are having their voyages delayed. As a consequence further delays will be incurred by port congestion as the compressed wave of released vessels arrive at once. Any storm damage to port facilities and other infrastructure will just add to delays.

The rumoured 3 day closure of the Shanghai production line is apparently a scheduled closure for upgrades and nothing to do with the weather. Timely though.

Screenshot 2021-07-24 at 12.53.34.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: XHabjab
Status
Not open for further replies.