Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the ships on my watch list is THEMIS.
She spent a long time loading in Shanghai and made a brief stop in S Korea before heading for Zeebrugge.
She should arrive there around 15 Nov after stops at Piraus and Livorno.
She is not a Tesla ship, however I wouldn't be too surprised if she is carrying a deckload of Teslas since she is due to spend some time unloading in Zeebrugge at the same quay used for handling Teslas.
That said, I've not seen any VIN frenzy which can be associated with her.
I'll keep her on the watch list for the moment however ..........
Maybe the sometimes there's no VIN frenzy here is because a ship may only hold Model Y's. Since the majority of the people here are in the UK where the Y is not available that could explain this fenomenon?

I got my Y VIN in the last few days, not exactly sure when.

The hardstanding should be dust free - no nearby chimneys belching sooty smoke into the air that can settle onto the cars.

The pier at Hangzhou is currently used for domestic shipments only although during last quarter's port congestion crisis Tesla did manage somehow to use it to export. An awful lot of favours would have been called in to achieve that! It won't have come cheaply. The other ships using the pier appeared to be bulk grain carriers (dusty) - they would have had to stop whatever they were doing whilst cars were being loaded.
Would cars being produced with protective film on their upper body surfaces, obviate this requirement?

So the RN is just the Reservation Number. The next step is the VIN allocation. This can happen in 2 stages - 1. Unoffically. Look for a VIN in the source code of your account (lots of threads on this forum about this - please don't clutter the shipping thread) 2. Officially. Tesla notify you that your order has been matched to a VIN ( Orders & Deliveries thread). You can be pretty confident that you will have your car by Christmas.

Thanks - I have now checked the website source code for my VIN and it is showing: "vin":null

So, I suppose I have a bit more waiting to go :(. Good things come to those who wait!

It's not just about the pier.
There has to be sufficient hardstanding to park the cars prior to loading. The hardstanding should be dust free - no nearby chimneys belching sooty smoke into the air that can settle onto the cars. There needs to be a customs facility with the necessary data connections. There needs to be the skilled manpower to load the ship safely. Tesla would prefer to use the same handling agent and stevedores as they use presently. The port should be recognised by the ship's insurers.

The pier at Hangzhou is currently used for domestic shipments only although during last quarter's port congestion crisis Tesla did manage somehow to use it to export. An awful lot of favours would have been called in to achieve that! It won't have come cheaply. The other ships using the pier appeared to be bulk grain carriers (dusty) - they would have had to stop whatever they were doing whilst cars were being loaded.

Cars are a very valuable cargo (do the maths) and so they are handled very differently to normal cargo and there are lots of rules, requirements and conventions in place to minimise the risk of damage in transit. Any old port simply won't do. There was a plan to develop this port for Tesla but it does not seem to have materialised.
The benefits of having your own pier in a time when existing facilities are plagued with delays due to congestion will be very clear to Tesla however how long will Tesla be exporting from Shanghai to Europe? Is the return on the huge investment required actually there?

Mr M incidentally just by chance and surprisingly I noticed a small Vehicle Carrier AN JI 21 docked at: Hangzhou Bay, it was previously docked yesterday near the normal Tesla loading pier and today here:

AN.jpg

Maybe the sometimes there's no VIN frenzy here is because a ship may only hold Model Y's. Since the majority of the people here are in the UK where the Y is not available that could explain this fenomenon?

I got my Y VIN in the last few days, not exactly sure when.
Still waiting for my Y (blue/black LR, ordered oh 15th) VIN curious when did you order yours and colors

Mr M incidentally just by chance and surprisingly I noticed a small Vehicle Carrier AN JI 21 docked at: Hangzhou Bay, it was previously docked yesterday near the normal Tesla loading pier and today here:

View attachment 726295
Yes I saw that but remember Teslas aren't the only things these ships move. I'm pretty sure she will depart to somewhere else in China.

It's a bummer it's headed for Europe without docking/unloading anything.

What's likely for a shipment for Singapore, Mr. M? Given Hoegh Kobe and Viking Ocean seems to be following the same refueling pattern and likely to leave after.

VINs been assigned to the eager peeps here for orders in late Feb21 to May21, from what I've gathered so far.
Yes I can understand the frustration - I was pretty sure HELIOS RAY was down to dock.
FIRMAMENT ACE looks like she is only stopping to bunker, as is NABUCCO.
I'll have a look for a ship routing indirectly.

Yes but Tesla don't do this. Even when moving by train where the dust can be particularly abrasive they don't seem to wrap the cars.
They did from last week (had to go back and double check in case I'd had a senior moment ;) ):
FilmedUp.png

PS. there's a whole row of filmed cars closer to the camera to the left of the mini-bus if the rows with red arrows are too small.

PPS. I was mistaken in my earlier analysis of this video - there are RHD cars being produced in it - they are coming out of Gate 32 and running the QA test track about 3/4 of the way throgh the video.

Last edited:
Spoke with Tesla for an update again today. Ordered 17th September M3LR White/Back standard wheels. Salary sacrifice lease and he said to me I have a VIN assigned and looks like it was assigned in the last day. He said to expect it to be delivered first week of December.

I asked which ship it is on but he said they can't give out shipping information anymore. I asked if the car is to be delivered first week of Dec (Glasgow) then should we expect it to land in Southhampton end of November he said most likely the very last day, which seems like it could be on Helios Ray given the timelines.

Reactions: tmleafs17
They did from last week (had to go back and double check in case I'd had a senior moment ;) ): View attachment 726298
PS. there's a whole row of filmed cars closer to the camera to the left of the mini-bus if the rows with red arrows are too small.

PPS. I was mistaken in my earlier analysis of this video - there are RHD cars being produced in it - they are coming out of Gate 32 and running the QA test track about 3/4 of the way throgh the video.
You're right. So cars that are despatched by rail from Shanghai are probably protected by film.

Reactions: Washout
I have been following this thread for a while, finally seen my VIN in the source code. After looking for a 5JY VIN for the last week (maybe older VINs) I have ID'd an LRW VIN, which I didn't know existed. Fingers crossed for confirmation soon. M3 LR black in white. Ordered and RN received on 10 Sept.

Thanks for the regular updates, even if it has been torture.

I have been following this thread for a while, finally seen my VIN in the source code. After looking for a 5JY VIN for the last week (maybe older VINs) I have ID'd an LRW VIN, which I didn't know existed. Fingers crossed for confirmation soon. M3 LR black in white. Ordered and RN received on 10 Sept.

Thanks for the regular updates, even if it has been torture.
LRW are from Shanghai, 5JY from Fremont

I found this thread a couple of days ago.
Really interesting since I'm awaiting delivery of my M3 LR in december.

And just now this came up in my facebook feed...

"On the 23rd of october the swedish merchant fleet newest beauty MS (not sure of translation)
Nabucco went on her maiden voyage. She left the docks i Tianjin, China at 14:30 with an all swedish crew.
She will be joining WWL's around the world traffic. She has room for 8000 cars. First docking port will be Shanghai
where she will be filled with cars bound for Europe."

Screenshot_Facebook.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.