Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 vs 2022 MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2022 Model Y vehicles come with the faster Ryzen processor for the infotainment system and use a 15.5V lithium battery instead of the older 12V lead-acid starting battery. The 2022 Model Y also now come with HEPA cabin air filtration and the Tesla Bioweapon Defense Mode (good for keeping smoke particles out of the vehicle if you happen to be driving in brush fire, wildfire areas.)

On the plus side the earlier, 2021, Model Y may still have come equipped with the front passenger seat adjustable lumbar support (since deleted) and working front USB-C data ports (good to have if you have a USB music collection on a thumb drive or SSD and if you want to plug in a game controller.) In both 2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Y the USB data port for Dashcam Mode and Sentry Mode is located inside the glove box.

Wasn't the HEPA filter a running change sometime last year? For 2021 models?

OP - here is a link of the running changes, probably not exhaustive, but you can get an idea based on your production date - window sticker would should month/year of manufacture, or you can probably get a Sales Advisor to give you the exact date if it is still in their system.

Last edited:
I try to keep a log... needs slight updating. found out in 9/20 is when interior got refreshed. Go to the latest post (didn't allow edits)

Reactions: Mingw and voxel
Unless you absolutely need a car immediately, I’d definitely wait. Why pay almost the same price for an older and used 2021? I know the wait times really suck but I vote for the 2022 Y.

Our July-built 2021 Y has the new HEPA Bioweapon Defense Mode. I waited 92 days for it and even rejected my first delivery because it was June-built and lacked the new HEPA by one week (the car also had other issues though). Of course, this was back when my order was $51.5K. If I was in your shoes then I’d certainly wait for a 2022 because that 2021 you’re considering had a lower original price, yet is now used and selling close to 2022 money due to demand and series of price increases. I love our Y but you are really overpaying for that 2021 today if you buy it. All the best with your decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zer0t
One counterpoint... you also don't know what you're going to get.

Tesla is notorious for removing features and not telling people (passenger lumbar, USB ports, then finally USB data which affected what software was included (ie, no Sonic)

I'm not saying not having Sonic is a deal breaker (that would be extremely weird), all I'm saying is with the 2021, you know what's on it and what's not. You have no idea what will come in your order.

I will say supply chains are still constrained and Tesla prioritizes output over completeness