Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.16.3 released

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite the contrary. Chaos is companies like VW who have yet to issue any software updates despite proclaiming how easily they’d do it.

What’s going on behind the scenes at Tesla is actually remarkable - features ship, often in small groups or isolation, when they’re complete and tested. I’d expect there are hundreds or thousands of developers in many teams at Tesla and it’s massively complicated.
Back when I just got my car in summer 2018 I used to think this way until the combined 4 years of history showed me that for every new feature, there were at least some regressions in things unrelated and which had worked fine.

I'm the downer for sure, but I have this update waiting (still on V10) and saw nothing but troubles downloading and new errors reported (regressions) and not just in this thread.

Releasing often is not remarkable, I'm afraid, when the quality is so unpredictable (or rather can be predicted to cause at least 1 new regression every time)

Software can and often is complex but good well-defined processes for change and testing can eliminate the kind of bug-thrash Tesla seems to have. Once in my career I did software for a medical devices company and Tesla's quality here would have them barred from ever delivering. Sure not all the bugs are life critical but the record thus far is not giving me any warm and fuzzy feelings.

Carry on...

Add me to the list of "stuck at 50%" club upgrading from 16.2 to 16.3. Interestingly, while downloading, the car lost its WiFi connection and doesn't even pull up the wifi name! Tried my cell phone hotspot and even that is not picked up. Next step is to reboot the home wifi router as suggested above. This is the first time in 16 months that I had the car this issue of car not finding the home wifi network while parked in my garage has cropped up.

What’s going on behind the scenes at Tesla is actually remarkable - features ship, often in small groups or isolation, when they’re complete and tested. I’d expect there are hundreds or thousands of developers in many teams at Tesla and it’s massively complicated.

No... just no. I've been making software for 25 years. Tesla has pushed so many regressions it's mind blowing. For sure, the cars are fantastic... but they get a big giant FAIL for software.

They don't seem to have anyone well versed in human factors either. The software also seems to have had a lot of bugs surrounding asynchronous operations... almost like the whole thing is being maintained by 5 recent college grads.

Lastly, they continue to ignore important needs (e.g. good manual wiper controls and simple cruise control) while making changes to existing features that were working well (usually resulting in a regression or a worse version of that feature).

Literally, the best software my car has ever had was what was installed the day I took delivery. Every few months a new release came along and took something away or broke something.

Got the download last night and it's been nothing but trouble for me. GPS is no longer updating, autopilot and cruise control both unavailable, and visualizations are gone (no road lines, other cars, etc). Tried the scroll wheel reset, a "wheel change" reset I found on another thread, and contacted support to try and get this resolved... we'll see how long it takes to get my car working like normal again.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Add me to the list of "stuck at 50%" club upgrading from 16.2 to 16.3. Interestingly, while downloading, the car lost its WiFi connection and doesn't even pull up the wifi name! Tried my cell phone hotspot and even that is not picked up. Next step is to reboot the home wifi router as suggested above. This is the first time in 16 months that I had the car this issue of car not finding the home wifi network while parked in my garage has cropped up.
I have the same issues. My MY wouldn’t connect to my Wi-Fi. It was making me a little crazy because I knew I had Wi-Fi. I rebooted the car and that worked for me. Then of course it got stuck on 50%. I just said the hell with it and it download it on its own. All is good now

Reactions: Anser
No... just no. I've been making software for 25 years.

No, just no. I’ve been working in software for 30 years and you obviously haven’t come across continuous deployment, which is what I was talking about, not the content of the releases. You obviously have a chip on your shoulder about features, go take it out on someone else instead of misrepresenting what I’m saying. I’ll assume your 25 years just haven’t got into more modern advanced delivery methods.

Shipping broken functionality and constantly having regressions isn’t a “modern advanced delivery method”, it’s just poor practice.

There’s nothing advanced about sloppy (rushed) code and a lack of quality assurance and regression testing.

Continuous deployment means shipping an MVP and then iteratively improving it with subsequent releases. None of that appears to be happening with Tesla.

No, just no. I’ve been working in software for 30 years and you obviously haven’t come across continuous deployment, which is what I was talking about, not the content of the releases. You obviously have a chip on your shoulder about features, go take it out on someone else instead of misrepresenting what I’m saying. I’ll assume your 25 years just haven’t got into more modern advanced delivery methods.
I’ve also been managing software for decades. An agile approach without automated testing is chaos. That is exactly what Tesla is doing. Otherwise regressions would not happen nearly as frequently. It’s amazing the releases don’t brick the cars given the level of chaos internally. I would assume some level of automated testing for the critical stuff, but it doesn’t seem like much else beyond put it on Elon’s car and see if he can break anything….

Reactions: OxBrew
After reading about the issues in other EVs, I have nothing but praise for Tesla's software engineers. But even they can't be expected to release bug-free code. There are always circumstances that are out of their control. For example, I've had my car for almost 2 1/2 years and I would consider its software and update process pretty bullet proof to the point I never worry about them and actually look forward to the new features. However, there are others that have had things break (usually minor) or have had to reboot the car for everything to settle down. It updated flawlessly for me, but not someone else. Third party accessories could be partly to blame, but sometimes it's just the fact that no two cars are exactly alike. I might use certain apps in a certain way that don't exacerbate a particular incompatibility or bug that someone else may experience. Or maybe some low-level service crashed in one car that's the cause of the post-update bug.

Releasing them in waves and gauging feedback like they do now is probably the only sensible approach, IMO. Of course, none of what I said should excuse sloppy untested code. However, based on my own experience I wouldn't put Tesla in that box. Ford?? Without hesitation. With Sync 4, it's easier to ask what's working than what's not.

But even they can't be expected to release bug-free code.
Yes, they can. That should always be the goal.

Because Ford or VW suck too does not absolve Tesla. I actually think Tesla set them up for this, by creating a competitive landscape where constant updates are expected.

This is a car. It needs to work, full stop.

That includes consistent behavior, so the driver can act the same way in a crisis situation as every other time they used it, and not discover a new flaw at the worst possible time.

For the same bug or mistake in UI design to appear, get fixed, and then reappear and get fixed again is beyond everything. It's simply not OK. (Phantom braking, for instance. Comes and goes with software releases, very unstable; one release can both fix it for some cars, and break it for others.)

Fixing a mistake should include always testing for that error forever in the future. They don't, obviously.

Honestly, I think part of the problem is they have too many permutations of hardware and chip sets, so they can't really exhaustively test every permutation.

I'm sitting on 16.2 for as long as I can, since it's basically working well for me. App connectivity is bad, (wi-fi connectivity is super variable), but I'll take that over PB, which is really good right now. (really never slows down when it shouldn't).

I would like 20.x, only for the SOC prediction moving back where it belongs in the navigation status, but I'm waiting until it's out a long time to see what else is broken.

DIY regression testing.

I'll agree with a lot of what you say @OxBrew , but I'll add a couple comments / caveats.
1. Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning problems are very hard. Adding new data to the learning set can solve problems but might cause others in unforeseen cases. Yes, you can also add data to your test set. Still, with the (incomplete) learning I've done on AI/ML, these types of problems are more difficult to harness.
2. This software is embedded in a car and used as we drive around. The number of combinations of situations is astounding. I don't believe you can reproduce them all in a test suite in the office.

What I'm trying to say is that your reasoning and explanations fit perfectly well for normal software: a button that stops working, a glitch on screen, that sort of thing. I don't think it holds as well for extremely complex things like phantom braking where they might have added data to solve a problem for you and that caused a problem for me.

I'm not excusing them, they are not being serious enough with automated tests for regression situations. I'm just saying it's more complex than we might think for some things.

What I'm trying to say is that your reasoning and explanations fit perfectly well for normal software

I don't use autopilot / FSD, so my gripes we're actually with the normal software. V11 was a step backwards, and I've seen so many problems introduced in my year and a half ownership that they've lost my trust.

Accidents happen, and I know humans aren't perfect, but it's a real shame that such a great car has so many *solvable* software issues.

Honestly, I think part of the problem is they have too many permutations of hardware and chip sets, so they can't really exhaustively test every permutation.

This is a great point, and is probably true. BUT... in a recent'ish update to the *phone app* they broke location tracking, and one or two updates later they have still not fixed it. This just screams of haphazard development without attention to detail or concern for their customers. The same feels true for the software within the car.

V11 took important climate controls (windshield defog, heated seats) off the main bar at the beginning of Winter and they weren't put back on until Spring. That's not an issue that can be attributed to differences in hardware... it's lack of foresight, planning, and concern for your customers (it was actually unsafe).