Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes. I found the problem - different bug than I expected, but still a bug, what I am seeing is not a bug, but is the "expected" behaviour from "Driver door unlock mode".

The bug is that I cannot turn off this setting. I turn it off, (for my profile and also for the easy entry profile), but it keeps getting turned back on - this is the bug.

This morning it was back on. After we got into the car I turned it off my profile (saw the save happen). With the "Locks" setting page still displayed, I switched to my wife's profile. Setting stayed off. Then back to my profile and the setting flipped back on. grrrr.

I admit that I did turn on the setting to try it out. Did not like it. Do not want it. Car thinks otherwise.
I have not tried Driver Door Unlock Mode, so this suggestion may be a red herring...

Any chance that you use Easy Entry? I have had problems with other settings (i.e. Climate) where a value was applied from the Easy Entry profile and then not re-set to that from the driver profile after entering the car. If you have an Easy Entry profile I suggest switching to that profile and make sure Driver Door Unlock Mode is disabled there too.

I have not tried Driver Door Unlock Mode, so this suggestion may be a red herring...

Any chance that you use Easy Entry? I have had problems with other settings (i.e. Climate) where a value was applied from the Easy Entry profile and then not re-set to that from the driver profile after entering the car. If you have an Easy Entry profile I suggest switching to that profile and make sure Driver Door Unlock Mode is disabled there too.
yes, I did check the easy entry as well.

Do you have strong wifi so the setting saves to your cloud profile? I have this problem with all kinds of settings getting actually set.

If I back in to my spot I get better wifi, and setting stick more often. (still not every time, but about 75% better than when I only have one blip of wifi).
yeah, pretty darn good Wi-Fi, but i've also do the "uncheck it on easy entry and my profile" dance at home and away from home.

Holy *sugar* Tesla somehow made the Apple Music app bad too.

It doesn't buffer the next song so there's an awkward delay between songs. And then when pulling away from my garage and going from WiFi to Cellular the current song stops playing. The only way to get the music playing again is by skipping to the next song.
The Apple Music app has gotten better on 2022.44.25.5. It doesn't disconnect when switching from WiFi to Cellular and it continues playing after you leave/get back in the car.

1. Homelink window that used to pop up at the bottom left of the screen is not longer available. To use homelink have to go to the tiny house icon at the top of the screen, then select the door/gate you wish to activate.

2 Android phone no longer works as key. Rebooted car and phone, still will not work.

1. Homelink window that used to pop up at the bottom left of the screen is not longer available. To use homelink have to go to the tiny house icon at the top of the screen, then select the door/gate you wish to activate.

2 Android phone no longer works as key. Rebooted car and phone, still will not work.
Too bad they got rid of the popup - I liked using that if you were backing up and door did not need to be closed.

I really love that 2022.44.25 makes improvements in helping the driver in stressful conditions like complicated freeway interchanges in poor weather with heavy traffic.
  • Nav instructions and route line are larger and bolder, and thus quicker to read. Thank you!
  • Moving the bottom part of the nav info to the bottom of the screen puts it in a fixed position (no need for multiple glances to locate that info, check the road, then look back to read it), easier to reach and tap while moving, and less likely to cover the route line (needed to figure out upcoming lanes and curves).
  • Moving the current-position info over from the bottom-middle of the map also revealed more of the route line.
  • Moving the small audio control panel over also reveals more of the map.
  • Bringing back the cards makes that info practical to check while driving, and this design shows where to swipe.
  • Between recent improvements in auto-HVAC (according to TMC posts) and the added fan speed control there, I'm finally using auto-HVAC. This should help assuming it reacts to conditions that would fog up the windshield before the driver sees the fogging.
  • Bringing back the +/- buttons for fan speed is a relief from jabbing at the slider and settling for close enough, or using a voice command that interrupts the conversation/podcast.
  • Auto turn signals are surprisingly helpful and impressive. This turns off the signal at the right time maybe 19/20 times even in a combined lane change + left turn maneuver! The other 1/20 times, it falls back in the best way -- leaving the turn signals on -- and it's easy to manually cancel the signals at the right time. (3-blinks isn't long enough for me.) (The only downside is it conditioned me to lightly tap the shift stalk when I mean to shift into D or R.)
  • Surely there are other improvements that aren't in the release notes.
Adding Apple Music is a good sign that Tesla is putting work into the audio player. -- I happen to subscribe to YouTube Music, so let's hope that service is high on their to-do list.

Refinements in handling phone calls are good although for me, it's rare to talk on the phone in the car. I might've tried MyQ integration but how can it beat the clicker in usability, speed, and reliability? (The MyQ phone app takes a while to close the garage door, with blinking and audible alerts, which makes sense since it has nobody to check for interference like your spouse loading things into an open trunk.)

The other changes either don't apply to my Model 3 or don't interest me (Zoom, dog mode camera, farts, games, toys).

Requests for future tuning:
  • Add a button to the lower nav panel to mute/unmute nav voice guidance. It currently takes 4 taps to do it and close the subpanels, or a voice command.
  • Increase the visibility of text such as the gray trip info and the small current-map-location box. The faster we can read the info, the less eyes-off-road time.
  • Marquee moving text makes no sense in a driver display. I'm not going to watch the song title for 4 seconds to read it! There's a big screen to use.
  • Some more audio controls should be in the small audio controls box. At least one TMC thread was about wanting to add a shuffle feature, which was simply hidden behind the subtle need to open the large audio window then move the small audio control window over.
  • Keep working on making the automatic features (esp. wipers) do the right thing more often and be easier to override when they don't.
  • YouTube Music, por favor?

I'm not thrilled with splitting the nav data into two sections. I'll get used to it, but scattering related is not a good design. I'm also disappointed that battery estimates for only the next stop is displayed. My preference would be to always display the estimated SOC at the next charging location, or end of trip if not charging along the way. The current display requires me to tap the next turn direction to expand all the turns, then scroll down to the bottom to see all of the SOC estimates.

Another thing I would like to have seen improved are the indicators for TACC/AP/NOA/FSDb. The indicators are spread around the display. Tesla should combine these into some unified indicator that is unambiguous.

Finally, the "End Trip button should ask for a confirmation and, if you have multiple stops programmed, should ask if you want to cancel the next stop or the entire trip. As it stands now, if you hit End Trip by mistake, say intending to tap the three dot menu next to it, you immediately lose your entire trip plan. When you have multiple destinations, that's a bit of a pain.

Auto turn signals are surprisingly helpful and impressive. This turns off the signal at the right time maybe 19/20 times even in a combined lane change + left turn maneuver! The other 1/20 times, it falls back in the best way -- leaving the turn signals on -- and it's easy to manually cancel the signals at the right time. (3-blinks isn't long enough for me.) (The only downside is it conditioned me to lightly tap the shift stalk when I mean to shift into D or R.)
Funny... I have the opposite experience. If I put the signal on to initiate a combined lane change and turn maneuver, the signal cancels as soon as I enter the turn lane. This is the main reason I have decided to leave this feature off for now.

They really should have it apply only to half taps of the stalk; full presses should result in the indicators remaining on until an actual turn takes place. As it stands right now, there appears to be no difference in behavior whether you press the stalk halfway or all the way down or up.

Funny... I have the opposite experience. If I put the signal on to initiate a combined lane change and turn maneuver, the signal cancels as soon as I enter the turn lane. This is the main reason I have decided to leave this feature off for now.

They really should have it apply only to half taps of the stalk; full presses should result in the indicators remaining on until an actual turn takes place. As it stands right now, there appears to be no difference in behavior whether you press the stalk halfway or all the way down or up.
Is a combined lane change/turn maneuver legal? I thought after a lane change you had to "stabilize" in the lane before signaling for your next action.

Is a combined lane change/turn maneuver legal? I thought after a lane change you had to "stabilize" in the lane before signaling for your next action.
This isn't what I'm referring to. I'm talking about driving on, say, a four-lane divided highway. I'm in the left lane, nearing a stoplight, and the concrete median shifts so as to create a left turn lane. I put on my signal, pressing the stalk all the way down, and enter the lane as it becomes available. I won't turn until I reach the intersection, of course, but I want the signal to stay on; if I had wanted it to switch off after the lane change, I would have pressed the stalk only halfway. Unfortunately, the current behavior of the new automated feature is to switch it off regardless of whether I did a full or half press. So then I have to turn it on yet again.

This isn't what I'm referring to. I'm talking about driving on, say, a four-lane divided highway. I'm in the left lane, nearing a stoplight, and the concrete median shifts so as to create a left turn lane. I put on my signal, pressing the stalk all the way down, and enter the lane as it becomes available. I won't turn until I reach the intersection, of course, but I want the signal to stay on; if I had wanted it to switch off after the lane change, I would have pressed the stalk only halfway. Unfortunately, the current behavior of the new automated feature is to switch it off regardless of whether I did a full or half press. So then I have to turn it on yet again.
Ok, I don't see that as a lane change, it is just a turn. But from my experience most of the time it does stay on for that kind of maneuver. I don't know if the difference is map data, road markings, or ??? I'm sure they will improve it as they make more progress on FSD.

it is just a turn
It's not just a turn. It's a lane change into a newly available turning lane .... then a turn. I have a Feb 2022 MSLR. Also for me if I press the signal button momentarily the auto turn signal turns off for me when I change to the turn lane but have not turned yet. The signal will stay on with this lane change if the button is pressed and momentarily held. Then it would have to be manually canceled after the turn. Either your switch is not working or you aren't pushing it as far down as you think. It's also possible as you suggest that the software is broken, this is what you're asking if others see this with the new update.

Last edited:
Ok, I don't see that as a lane change, it is just a turn. But from my experience most of the time it does stay on for that kind of maneuver. I don't know if the difference is map data, road markings, or ??? I'm sure they will improve it as they make more progress on FSD.
Interesting. It won't stay on for me in that situation, and as a result, it's more work to make sure the signals are turning off or remaining on when they should than it is to just operate them manually like I have for 35 years.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Are you running a FSD Beta firmware version? Maybe it works better for me because I am?
Maybe so. I am on 2022.44.30.5, which supposedly is the first wide-release, non-opt-in FSD version, but I don't yet have the option to turn FSD on. It says I am still in the queue. (I paid for FSD and did enroll in and was approved for the testing program after achieving a safety score of 99 or so a year or more ago, but I had them pull me out before installing any FSD versions as it looked too half-baked at the time for my tastes.)

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Interesting. It won't stay on for me in that situation, and as a result, it's more work to make sure the signals are turning off or remaining on when they should than it is to just operate them manually like I have for 35 years.
A key tip I learned from TMC is to hold the half-press momentarily (1/3 second?) rather than a fast tap (1/10 second?) which the car ignores -- or did 2022.44.25 change that? Are you doing a fast tap?

Another possible difference is whether nav is on.

Does a full click on the stalk make it stay as long as it used to, i.e. until manual cancellation or a clear turn? I expected so but didn't test this yet.

It's not just a turn. It's a lane change into a newly available turning lane .... then a turn. I have a Feb 2022 MSLR. Also for me if I press the signal button momentarily the auto turn signal turns off for me when I change to the turn lane but have not turned yet. The signal will stay on with this lane change if the button is pressed and momentarily held. Then it would have to be manually canceled after the turn. Either your switch is not working or you aren't pushing it as far down as you think. It's also possible as you suggest that the software is broken, this is what you're asking if others see this with the new update.
When I do something similar to what you describe (i.e. change to dedicated turning lane) then the turn signal is not always auto-cancelled. I think it leaves it on when there are turn-only arrows on the road, or something to tell it that it's a dedicated turning lane. Where I drive that is frequently the case, and it Just Works. But it's not always the case, and then it fails in the way you describe. I haven't disabled the feature yet, but suspect that I will eventually get tired of the current behavior.

Reactions: zoomer0056