Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Apple CarPlay update vs Tesla UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw that post and my thought was that those 79% are not Tesla owners.
I believe Apple CarPlay is a workaround for oem to provide a decent UI experience in their cars as they don’t focus on that (UI) and prefer to delegate to Apple or Google.
I saw it for myself and read regular complains about CarPlay that I just don’t have with the Tesla interface.

Tesla has focused since day one and is still aiming at a great UI experience.
But it is a work in progress.

Correct me if I’m wrong but you have a new S or X.
Legacy S and C have plenty of customization on the IC (dashboard).
Like I wrote, it’s a work in progress and I hope for you it is ported to your cars sooner than later.
You're calling it a workaround and delegation but having Apple or Google developing this integration seems quite beneficial for a bunch of reasons. The car makers wouldn't even need OTA patches to upgrade the UI functionality because that's all being done by Apple/Google over the internet and through the devices, which would then port through to the screens in the vehicle. CarPlay has already improved quite a bit since I first used it last year without any updates required in the vehicles themselves.

This is a great opportunity for the phone makers to capitalize on the fact that everyone connects their phone to their car and these cars have tons of screens nowadays.

What makes less sense and seems less efficient is OEMs putting a lot of energy into developing their own UIs and then phone manufacturers also doing their own thing for the interface tied to the devices that we all connect to our vehicles. If phone makers can take on more of that, with the added benefit of building it into the UI on the devices themselves and upgradability through cell/internet connections in those devices, I can see all kinds of benefits. And the world benefits from not having multiple companies doing overlapping work, focus can be put elsewhere.

Last edited:
But I don’t understand why a high end manufacturer would want to have the same driving experience as a mass production shopping trolley....or why any manufacturer wouldn’t want to differentiate their range
It'll be interesting to see how it rolls out, I imagine car brands would be able to individualize their interface and build in brand-specific touches while also still having all the menus that CarPlay won't take over. Apple is saying CarPlay will feel like it's built just for your specific car, so it had better integrate well with everything from that specific car inclusive of the brand.

But I could hop into a Lambo/Bentley/Rolls Royce and would still go to just load up CarPlay when it comes to using maps, navigation, music, etc. These brands differentiate themselves through everything else in the vehicle, screens and UI need to be easy to use and I'm happy.

Even Koenigsegg was offering CarPlay years ago, before many others, in their cars that cost millions

View attachment 813407

I really would love to have this. And Apple CarKey to avoid carrying a separate key with me. Unfortunately I cannot wait to 2024. Thus my next car will probably just have a regular old-fashioned wireless CarPlay.

With the most car-buyers having Apple CarPlay / Android Auto as one of the key criteria for choosing a car, it will be interesting how long Tesla (and Rivian) can hold the fort. With the next gen CarPlay taking over instruments, urge to integrate with iOS/Android will just increase.

The foundational phenomenon here is that people typically upgrade their mobile phone every couple of years, getting a new CPU/GPU and the latest OS design paired with it. Any car not projecting UI from the mobile will end up looking outdated in 3-4 years from the purchase. (Speaking from experience with MCU1 crippled Model S here). Furthermore, car manufacturer specific app stores have little chance of competing with Android and iOS for the developer time: thus no apps without Android Auto / Apple CarPlay.

With the Models 3 and Y, you already don't need to carry a separate key with you. Your Apple phone will work, maybe not as well as Android's latest and greatest, but it will work as a key. Cybertruck will have the same functionality.

But I don’t understand why a high end manufacturer would want to have the same driving experience as a mass production shopping trolley....or why any manufacturer wouldn’t want to differentiate their range

Cheaper cars will have a single screen, higher end cars will have multiple (or much larger) screens. I'd also assume that the car maker could customize the instrument cluster

I find it strange that so many auto manufacturers have endorsed this....it just makes every car the same...why would a premium car maker want that?

Manufacturers do not have much choice: Car would have to be amazingly unique for people to choose the car without Apple CarPlay & Android Auto.

(Tesla has been this far amazingly unique. Rivian is amazingly unique. Are there others left? Whether either of them can attract buyers in future without CarPlay is yet to be seen.)

Reactions: cwerdna
With the Models 3 and Y, you already don't need to carry a separate key with you. Your Apple phone will work, maybe not as well as Android's latest and greatest, but it will work as a key. Cybertruck will have the same functionality.

If battery is dead on, iPhone does not work as a key for 3/Y.

Thus one must carry the RDIF card as a backup in wallet for 3/Y. Not optimal, but much better than S/X IMO.

Apple CarKey seems to be the optimal solution.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
I don't have FSD, so the left 1/3 of my screen is pretty useless. I wish there was a way to customize the Tesla UI. CarPlay seems to make better use of the screen real estate in the two cars we have that support it. What was announced at WWDC looks even more customizable which I like.

Reactions: roc-noc
From Apple keynote yesterday, I have a feeling there's more to what they showed us. They called it a sneak peak, that it won't be available until 2024, with "more to show down the road". If it's not an "Apple Car" vibe, it feels to me it could be a "CarOS" vibe, something that could eventually be a standalone OS, not directly tied to a phone. That way, it would eventually create a consistent experience.

Imagine driving your car with CarPlay all the time, then get in someone else car (the exact same model), but without your phone / CarPlay enabled? Or your SO has an android phone? It doesn't make sense.

Why would any car maker go through the pain to create a UI when 79% of iPhone users at least (which already represent more or less 50% of the US) won't ever use it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
From Apple keynote yesterday, I have a feeling there's more to what they showed us. They called it a sneak peak, that it won't be available until 2024, with "more to show down the road". If it's not an "Apple Car" vibe, it feels to me it could be a "CarOS" vibe, something that could eventually be a standalone OS, not directly tied to a phone.
Yep. Today even cars with CarPlay/AA have to have their own UI too since the phone might not be present. There are some platforms like QNX that manufacturers can use to build that and some have built their own I believe. I'm pretty sure Apple's goal is to compete with those platforms and become the car platform itself, not build its own car.

I used to work with a bunch of long-time QNX engineers. Apple set up an office next door and hired them all away. They're still there. Make of that what you will.

Reactions: malou
could be a "CarOS" vibe, something that could eventually be a standalone OS, not directly tied to a phone

Apple and Google car integration efforts have been going pretty much hand in hand. Not sure which way they leak ideas, but consumers have been the beneficiaries.

Apple CarOS would make a ton of sense. Google already did that with Android Automotive OS. IMO it is superior to Tesla even without apps. Google just has UI, mapping, browser and conversational AI experience on a different level. But now that there is also an app store, there is no competition. I test-drove Android Automotive OS on a Polestar 2 where one can get it today.

That said, it still lacks support for Apple CarPlay. Google has unsurprisingly been dragging their feet there. Polestar staff estimates that they should be able able to ship update with CarPlay compatibility this summer.

Unsurprisingly Polestar (and Volvo) were also listed on the WWDC slide for manufacturers getting this next gen Apple CarPlay...

When I went on test drives with the model 3, and drove my friends, I noticed I was always looking for the instrument cluster, which always caused my eye's to drop from viewing the road, which was actually a considerable amount over the length of my drive. Yes, with all of the tech/safety functions along with FSD coming along, maybe you could argue that it's ok ish? So what I like about the model 3 is that my eye's actually look more at the road now, which I see as a good thing.

Even the Mercedes EQS which I have sat in, I have to sit up just a little bit higher just to look out over the screens, not much but it's noticeable. So for me I would much prefer a simple heads up display, and keep the model 3's screen where it is, and a really nice version of Alexa (Teslexia)?. Coming from a 2015 C300, it blows my mind that I can't even ask the computer to pick a radio station. IF we are really going to go driverless, then the screens can really come to the front, along with hands free communication with the car.

It's the opposite way around for Tesla's UI, Apple is the influencer. The team that originally conceived and designed Tesla's UI was former Apple people...

Joe Nuxoll is a big name associated with the design, former Software Architect and UI Engineering Manager for Apple from 2005-2008 and then Lead UX Designer for Tesla from 2011-2012. And their team was full of Apples.