Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Tech vs. Competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 2011 I purchased an A8L that had adaptive cruise control and land keeping assist, pretty much the first at its time. My wife had the first X7, which actually drove itself under 37mph. Recently I received an email from bmw about the new i5, which looks like a heck of a competitor to the (minus range). So there’s the background.

For years we have all touted teslas software and tech, but is it really, today, leaps above others. Maybe years ago, but it appears that there are a lot of cars that will let you use autopilot WITHOUT touching the wheel every 15 seconds. Is there a reason Tesla hasn’t enabled this, even at low speeds?

The software has gotten increasingly more buggy and others I think are catching up. Outside of the question above, just wanted the groups thoughts on this? With apple and android CarPlay, the UI will actually be better or even with what tesla has built into the car. I’ve read that people love wireless CarPlay and apple key does what our key for the X does.

Reactions: scottf200
In 2011 I purchased an A8L that had adaptive cruise control and land keeping assist, pretty much the first at its time. My wife had the first X7, which actually drove itself under 37mph. Recently I received an email from bmw about the new i5, which looks like a heck of a competitor to the (minus range). So there’s the background.

For years we have all touted teslas software and tech, but is it really, today, leaps above others. Maybe years ago, but it appears that there are a lot of cars that will let you use autopilot WITHOUT touching the wheel every 15 seconds. Is there a reason Tesla hasn’t enabled this, even at low speeds?

The software has gotten increasingly more buggy and others I think are catching up. Outside of the question above, just wanted the groups thoughts on this? With apple and android CarPlay, the UI will actually be better or even with what tesla has built into the car. I’ve read that people love wireless CarPlay and apple key does what our key for the X does.

I agree. My wife’s 2019 Audi SQ5 is arguably better than using autopilot on the highway. You can change lanes whenever you want and the lane assist is always active. And the car doesn’t slow down when you’re changing lanes like my Tesla does. Granted, it doesn’t really steer for you 100%, but it’s enough to make driving long distances a breeze just like my Tesla. The TACC in the Audi is vastly superior now– it wasn’t before Tesla disabled radar, but now that they have it’s regressed to performing worse.

And yes on the CarPlay. I even bought a T2C unit so I can have CarPlay in my Tesla, but it’s a hack and kinda slow.

With Tesla nerfing autopilot and keeping features that should be standard behind a $15k upgrade, I probably won’t get one for my next car which is a bummer. When I first got it I was diehard Tesla for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Reactions: ianc
I agree. My wife’s 2019 Audi SQ5 is arguably better than using autopilot on the highway. You can change lanes whenever you want and the lane assist is always active. And the car doesn’t slow down when you’re changing lanes like my Tesla does. Granted, it doesn’t really steer for you 100%, but it’s enough to make driving long distances a breeze just like my Tesla. The TACC in the Audi is vastly superior now– it wasn’t before Tesla disabled radar, but now that they have it’s regressed to performing worse.

And yes on the CarPlay. I even bought a T2C unit so I can have CarPlay in my Tesla, but it’s a hack and kinda slow.

With Tesla nerfing autopilot and keeping features that should be standard behind a $15k upgrade, I probably won’t get one for my next car which is a bummer. When I first got it I was diehard Tesla for the foreseeable future.
I am not trying to crush Tesla. I think the comparison I would give is really about Elon. There’s PayPal, Venmo, cash app, Zelle, Apple Pay, etc. At some point will they give up on the cars, will he? Competition will be fierce in the next 10. All that said, my 19 Raven is the best car I’ve ever owned 😊. She’s a gem

Hi,
Being an owner of a 2023 Model 3 Performance and a 2023 fully loaded BMW iX - i can compare the tech in both cars as follows:-
The UI on the Tesla is less confusing than the ID8 on the BMW.
The BMW is equipped with far more sensors than the Tesla - which gives me much more confidence when driving in each cars autonomous driving modes.
The Tesla just has the cameras and ultrasonic sensors.
The BMW has cameras (with 360 view), radar on all corners, front radar, ultrasonic sensors and possibly (to be confirmed) LIDAR in the front.
Blind spot monitoring is easier to use on the BMW - you look at the side mirrors and get a light on them if there is an object in your blind spot.
The fusion of all these sensors mean that you get far better warning of vehicles around you.
The car won’t let you open a door - if it detects an approaching vehicle - to prevent doors getting knocked off, for instance.
The BMW has augmented reality satnav.
The BMW has adaptive mode as one of its regen options - so car freewheels if you lift the throttle peddle on a clear motorway - but slows down when you get closer to other vehicles - and then regens. You also have B mode which is similar to Tesla full regen.
The HUD on the BMW is fantastic - includes multiple views including satnav directions and assisted driving view - so that you see the cars impression of vehicles around you (like you see on the Tesla screen)
One huge difference between the BMW & the Tesla is how the Ultrasonic sensor systems work (that is even before you talk about the latest Teslas that don’t even have them!)
Firstly - the BMW tone changes as you get nearer to an object - unlike the Tesla monotone
The BMW has optional auto braking to prevent you hitting an object that has been detected.
The screen view is far better on the BMW - as the Ultrasonic readings are displayed on top of the reversing camera view - so that you only need to look at one part of the display.
Tesla really need to fuse their views - as at the moment you need to look at both the camera view and the sensor view on the car part of the screen - which led me to nearly hit a vehicle as I was reversing when I first got the Tesla.
The BMW has Apple CarPlay & Android auto - a big plus
The Tesla has Youtube & Netflix - which are great when supercharging.
The Tesla app on my iPhone is far better than the BMW app.
The auto wipers work much better on the BMW
The matrix headlights work on the BMW - they are still to be implemented on the Tesla.
The BMW has a glass roof like the Tesla - it can be clear or opaque at the touch of a button because it is electrochromatic. On a hot day the glass roof on the BMW is far cooler to touch than the Tesla because it is 3 layer glass.
Conclusions - Tesla really need to add some extra functionality to make their software even better!
They also need more sensors!
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Regarding FSD, Tesla seems to be the only manufacturer who cares about navigating city streets. The other manufacturers are speeding away on highway ADAS where it is both more valuable and less complicated.

Notice how AP1 was pretty solid and predictable? It wasn't faultless, but it was at least more consistent. You could typically see situations ahead that would challenge it and intervene ahead of time or be ready to take over when it makes a mistake. With Tesla Vision, who knows what you're going to get and when?

My 2017 Volvo XC90 (bought in 2016) has AP that worked perfectly the 7 years I've driven it. Keeps in the lane. Manages the speed, etc. I do NOT trust Tesla's version at all. It randomly slows down. Does not slow down approaching parked/stopped cars (eg, at a light)---until the very last second. The last one is what keeps me from wanting to use it all. I don't know how Tesla thinks they'll be so advanced that they can leave beta for FULL self driving. They can't even do auto pilot/assist (IMO). Have not been impressed but am a new tesla owner. From all the youtubers with FSDb, I'm betting FSDb has another 3-5 yrs in the oven.

I just don't understand why after so many years and miles driven by users all over that the car just does not slow down approaching stopped cars. I guess that's just how people drive. I prefer to keep the ride at the amusement park. I'm really anxious to see Volvo's latest with EX90 and nvidia w/REAL sensors like lidar, etc. All Volvo needs to do is just improve on what was already excellent. I don't care if a car can drive itself thru the city. Just give me the basics...without the fear.

Last edited:
Does not slow down approaching parked/stopped cars (eg, at a light)---until the very last second.
Yeah it waits way too long for my comfort (TACC). And then accelerates like grandpa in an old Beetle when traffic starts moving again. If anything it should be the other way around--a little more conservative on the braking and a bit more aggressive accelerating when traffic starts moving or the car in front of you otherwise moves out of the way.

That is an awesome comparison. I think BMW has the best interface in the industry and love their HUD. Also, love how the seemlessly integrate the media controls. I wish their upcoming I5 would get similar range to the Model S LR or Lucid Air, as would switch to that in a heartbeat! :)

Reactions: SteveM3Perf