Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 M3 LR - Rear window goes fuzzy/blurry with defroster ON...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I just received my M3 LR on December 11th, and just tested out the rear defroster. I thought I was seeing things, but when the rear window defroster is ON the view out the back is very fuzzy/blurry. I tried to capture this with the following pictures. It could be what ever was used to clean the glass, but with the rear defroster OFF, the view is quite clear and normal.

Rear Defroster ON

Check out the white car... (I know the exposures are a little different, but it shows the problem just the same)

IMG_0674.JPG

Rear defroster OFF

White car is totally normal.

IMG_0676.JPG

That's heat. You'd notice the same thing in the desert when looking at objects in the distance 'through the heat'...
No, it's not heat. I have the same thing going on in my 2020 M3, even when the temperature is near 0. Heat waves happen in the atmosphere, so if you step out of the car you'd expect to still see them. There is no "atmosphere" inside the rear window, and there is no way that the rear defroster heats up the air enough either inside of outside the car to generate heat waves when the air temp is near zero as it can be where I live. I think the heating element is somehow distorting the laminations of the rear window. Having said all that, I think it's a non-issue. I can still see clearly out the rear window, and when I turn off the defroster the distortion goes away.

Reactions: cubicalclang
No, it's not heat. I have the same thing going on in my 2020 M3, even when the temperature is near 0. Heat waves happen in the atmosphere, so if you step out of the car you'd expect to still see them. There is no "atmosphere" inside the rear window, and there is no way that the rear defroster heats up the air enough either inside of outside the car to generate heat waves when the air temp is near zero as it can be where I live. I think the heating element is somehow distorting the laminations of the rear window. Having said all that, I think it's a non-issue. I can still see clearly out the rear window, and when I turn off the defroster the distortion goes away.

Heat from the defroster plus the angle of the glass etc. but it’s the heat that’s the precipitating factor. I’ve had this ’happen’ with other vehicles. You even prove this point by saying ‘when I turn off the defroster the distortion goes away’.