Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 SR LFP Supercharging speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not uncommon. I always wait for it to ramp to my expectation of the max (for me about 250kW below 30%, and a healthy ~150kW closer to 50%), before leaving the vehicle. I change stations frequently (less common at V3 for now though - they typically ramp fast and to the max - I basically avoid V2 if I can since they are awful and slow).
I take it you're not driving a RWD LFP as this thread is about?

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I take it you're not driving a RWD LFP as this thread is about?
That’s correct. Yours should max out at around 178kW or higher (just a scaling of the parallel battery size assuming 96 cells in series - not sure exactly LFP config but this is close, anyway).

In any case nothing changes. Bad Superchargers are bad (and common, meaning 1-10% of the time for V3).

That’s correct. Yours should max out at around 178kW or higher (just a scaling of the parallel battery size assuming 96 cells in series - not sure exactly LFP config but this is close, anyway).

In any case nothing changes. Bad Superchargers are bad (and common, meaning 1-10% of the time for V3).
Don't know how that would be possible.
Max on the car as per Tesla is 170kW

Wow... That seems even higher at that SOC than my LR AWD can take. I haven't seen higher than 116kW at 55% SOC on my car. I vaguely remember now that TeslaBjorn had done charging tests initially and he had re-done the tests because software changes had made things better?
Just approximate. Taper curves are around somewhere. I feel like at 50% it is not far off 150kW, dropping rapidly.

Don't know how that would be possible.
Max on the car as per Tesla is 170kW
Just approx (I just ballparked 55kWh vs 77.8kWh, 178kW is not quite right). For the SR+ NCA it is 168kW (31/46*250kW), and I think this extended to SR+ LFP ~55kWh (not sure). So you’d think with a 60kWh pack it could be higher. But depends on LFP vs. NCA (but note LFP SR+ with ~55kWh pack).

But sure, currently (and perhaps permanently) limited to 170kW is probably correct. To me it seems likely that 60kWh packs could go much higher than that (190kW) if Tesla decided to push it - again ignoring any issues (which I don’t keep up to date with) with the chemistry and pack voltages.

Wow... That seems even higher at that SOC than my LR AWD can take. I haven't seen higher than 116kW at 55% SOC on my car. I vaguely remember now that TeslaBjorn had done charging tests initially and he had re-done the tests because software changes had made things better?
Yes, my 2022 TM3 RWD charges faster than any published curve that I've seen. OTOH, the peak that I've seen was 168kw but that was at 21% SOC at the Cache Creek V3 Supercharger station.

see post 53 for more info.

seen. OTOH, the peak that I've seen was 168kw but that was at 21% SOC at the Cache Creek V3 Supercharger station
Clarifying (again) my prior post - this seems to be the limit for now (it is 31/46*250kW, based on SR+ physical quantities) but it is far from clear that this is the actual limit. You can probably tell by comparing the width (or perhaps just the taper point would be better since current limitations interfere on the low end) of the peak plateau vs. an SR+ (or AWD for that matter) - will give you an estimate of the artificial throttling of the RWD Supercharging, if any.

Your 50% 150kW result suggests substantial throttling of the peak. Fortunately this makes relatively little difference to charge time in most scenarios.

Here are ideal large capacity NCA battery profiles for reference - these will get scaled down for a “narrower” pack (e.g. SR+ NCA) - and again I do not track the structure of LFP packs or their charging limitations.

Taper seems to begin around 25% so if it happens later for the RWD then that suggests it is artificially capped. (And you could extrapolate back to the theoretical peak which might be 185kW or so.)

Last edited:
A recent Bjorn video shows him charging a 3 SR+ LFP peaking at 170kW for a second:

1664991288830.png

Clarifying (again) my prior post - this seems to be the limit for now (it is 31/46*250kW, based on SR+ physical quantities) but it is far from clear that this is the actual limit. You can probably tell by comparing the width (or perhaps just the taper point would be better since current limitations interfere on the low end) of the peak plateau vs. an SR+ (or AWD for that matter) - will give you an estimate of the artificial throttling of the RWD Supercharging, if any.

Your 50% 150kW result suggests substantial throttling of the peak. Fortunately this makes relatively little difference to charge time in most scenarios.

Here are ideal large capacity NCA battery profiles for reference - these will get scaled down for a “narrower” pack (e.g. SR+ NCA) - and again I do not track the structure of LFP packs or their charging limitations.

Taper seems to begin around 25% so if it happens later for the RWD then that suggests it is artificially capped. (And you could extrapolate back to the theoretical peak which might be 185kW or so.)
Thanks. As a new forum member I can't give likes yet,

OK, so I used my Tesla CCS adapter and charged my 2022 TM3 RWD from 71 to 98% at the Abbotsford BC Electrify Canada (EC) charging station using a 350KW DCFC. Here's the results (via text message receipt from EC to my cellphone):

Total paid: $10.94

Plan: N/A

Charging pricing: $0.57/min
(pre-tax)

Idling: $0.00 ($0.00/min)
GST/HST: $0.49

QST/PST: $0.68

Discount: $0.00

End state of charge: 98%
Total energy delivered: 16.70
kWh

Max charging rate: 69.00 kW
Charging time: 00:17:08

I drove 123km at Hwy speeds and navigated to the EC DCFC station via the car's Nav but it didn't precondition the battery, hence the charge started at 58KW at 71%, ramped up to 68KW, and was still charging at 48KW when I terminated the session at 98% (I went into Canadian Tire to do a quick shop so I didn't monitor the whole session).

I have to say that trying to use an EC DCFC isn't always easy. We wasted about 10min trying to get a 150KW charger to connect to the car but a combination of connection errors and my inexperience with using the CCS adapter combined to prevent it from working; we moved over to the 350KW charger and it went smoothly but I couldn't get the charger to talk to my cellphone EC app to bill my EC account, but it worked OK using the tap to pay via my Mastercard.

Today, I used the Abbotsford BC Whatcom Rd PetroCanada 350KW chargers via the CCS adapter. Charging started at 51% and 68KW, ramped up to 82KW at 54% and slowly ramped down to ~40KW at 95% when I terminated the session. Total session cost was about $6. This is a great location because they have a window washing station at each charger.