Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S Plaid "gearbox fluid service"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have a 2022 Model S plaid and since getting delivered in June it's had countless issues. Some of these issues were expected due to Teslas less than decent build quality but recently I have had this issue and even the service center couldn't explain it to me. About a month ago I got a notification on the dash saying "gearbox fluid service recommended." I scheduled an appointment with my local service center and dropped the car off. The car was there for over a week and they told me that there was a "wiring harness" that had to be replaced and that everything was good now. I was not satisfied with their explanation but was sick of my car being there for and extended period of time so I took my car and left. 2 days ago on my way home I received the same message on the dash saying the car needs a gearbox fluid service and now I really don't know what to do. Wondering if anyone on here has had this issue before.

Attachments

• 781C8D17-B39E-48BA-BD61-02DE13BCCD42.jpeg
    781C8D17-B39E-48BA-BD61-02DE13BCCD42.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 600
You should get a service receipt that shows a wiring harness being replaced. Now that the message has reappeared, that obviously was not the solution. Hopefully the drive unit has sufficient lubrication. I feel pretty sure Tesla can determine if the gearbox is overheating, is really low on lubrication, or having a problem with lubrication.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Probably driving angry after the SvC failed to fix the problem.

I did not have much luck with Tesla fixing my gear box, in fact they broke it during a simple driveshaft replacement, and then did not fill it properly. This is what happened the day after I got it back last fall:

Attachments

• IMG_20221009_082004882.jpg
    IMG_20221009_082004882.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 249
Hi all, I have a 2022 Model S plaid and since getting delivered in June it's had countless issues. Some of these issues were expected due to Teslas less than decent build quality but recently I have had this issue and even the service center couldn't explain it to me. About a month ago I got a notification on the dash saying "gearbox fluid service recommended." I scheduled an appointment with my local service center and dropped the car off. The car was there for over a week and they told me that there was a "wiring harness" that had to be replaced and that everything was good now. I was not satisfied with their explanation but was sick of my car being there for and extended period of time so I took my car and left. 2 days ago on my way home I received the same message on the dash saying the car needs a gearbox fluid service and now I really don't know what to do. Wondering if anyone on here has had this issue before.
What to do...my thoughts:

Review the public service manual and EPC.

Print out pertinent parts.

Find another service center, demand a loaner.

And last, as always with SvC, hope for the best, expect the worst.

Update: After 6 weeks at the service center, Tesla decided to replace the front drive unit and gave me my car back. It's been a few weeks of driving and luckily I haven't gotten the error message yet. They told me that the vehicle was shipped with low fluid in the front drive unit from the manufacturer but couldn't explain why it took them nearly a month and a half to figure it out. At this point I am just glad to have the car back and am praying that it doesn't happen again.

Glad you got it resolved. Hopefully you don't put your poor car in chill mode anymore either. Mine has yet to see any mode besides plaid.
I tried Chill mode after seeing this post and honesttly i think its kinda dangerous lol. The car barely moves and I dont think can respond for its life. Is the kinda theory chill mode is 1 motor, sport 2 and plaid all 3?

Reactions: Eatsleepboost
I was in service for a tire swap and they decided to replace “Plaid Rear Drive Unit Gearbox Fluid”. They Used HIGH CAPACITY CARTRIDGE OIL FILTER,ASY(1625056- 00-A)

Never noticed a problem so not sure what that was about. Maybe a bulletin.

I was in service for a tire swap and they decided to replace “Plaid Rear Drive Unit Gearbox Fluid”. They Used HIGH CAPACITY CARTRIDGE OIL FILTER,ASY(1625056- 00-A)

Never noticed a problem so not sure what that was about. Maybe a bulletin.

Definitely concerning since they probably consider this is a lifetime fluid.

You have to wonder what was wrong with the fluid and if there was any last damage done to the DU by whatever was wrong.

Wait a minute,,,,, ended up driving 230 miles to a service center, as my car is in South Dakota.
it didn’t make any difference what mode the car was in it indicated the gearbox issue.
Anyway, after the service the first 100 miles,, no issues, then the gearbox came back on and has been on since.
Now hoping that it may be a software issue and will wait and see at a later date.