Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X Plaid Delivered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After nearly a year of waiting I finally took delivery of the 2022 Model X Plaid and thought I would share some impressions.

1. Immediately after pulling out from the dealership, I noticed some type of noise coming from the top, front of the dash. It honestly sounds like static coming from the speakers that changes in frequency as I drive. I have tried everything and cannot get it resolved. It only starts when the vehicle is moving. I have never heard a sound like it before and I'm certain its from the speakers.
  2. I specifically chose the 20 inch wheels wanting a more quiet and cushioned ride. The ride is decent, however there is a lot of road noise from the tires. In fact, I couldn't believe how loud it was inside if I don't have the radio on. I was expecting a very quiet ride. What's more shocking is that my 2022 Model Y Performance is actually significantly quieter on the inside.
  3. I love the yoke steering wheel. The width and depth to me are perfect and feels very natural. I like it so much I wish I could retrofit one on my Model Y.
  4. The acceleration is unreal. In fact, it doesn't make sense how quickly the numbers on the speedometer increase. Simply mind blowing. However, the acceleration does not feel smooth like the Y. It judders for a bit at lower speeds. After looking it up, it's apparently a known problem. Very upsetting.
  5. The sound system overall sounds great.
  6. The sun visor doesn't work well and is honestly comical at how small it is.
  7. After installing a child seat in the rear seat, I looked for the storage compartment in the falcon door to store some items for my child and was shocked at first as there is no storage compartment. However, it makes sense because of how the falcon doors open and the items could fall onto your head. So then I reached for the seatback storage pocket and couldn't believe there wasn't one there either! There is literally no storage areas in the rear. Not very child friendly.
  8. The front seats to me are not as cushiony and as comfortable as the model Y.
  9. I decided to sit in the back seats and give them a try. After closing the falcon door, it felt a bit cramp as if the seat is too close to the door. The door can actually hit your arm if you don't have it positioned away from the door when closing. Feeling a bit cramp, I expected there to be an armrest on the seats and there wasn't one. Kind of surprising as most vehicles with captain chairs have an armrest. Overall, I didn't feel too comfortable sitting in a back seat. I'm sure its fine for shorter distances, but maybe not for longer distances.
  10. The third row seats are definitely for children. There is not much leg room at all.
  11. The refreshed larger screen is nice, however it feels like its a little too far back from the driver, whereas in the Y, it feels like the optimal distance.
  12. The overall drive and balance feels fantastic and much better than the Y. Feels more flat around corners than the Y too.
In closing, the overall vehicle is good, but has quite a bit of shortcomings. In my honest opinion it is very overpriced for what you get. I say this after having owed several upon several vehicles over 100k. I don't mean to bash the vehicle, but am just stating my honest observations which can be subjective. I'll most likely flip the vehicle as I can get a much price than what I paid and really consider if I should order another one again as I don't mind waiting. Big Maybe.
1. I have this noise as well and an appointment Monday to fix it I’ll let you know what it is

2. No complaints about the road noise here 🤷🏼‍♂️ It’s a heavy car with summer performance tires on it.. noise is as expected.

4. I’ve only noticed this juddering on the first minute or so of each drive which apparently is across all plaids. Does yours not go away over time? Or could this just be the tire slippage under extreme acceleration and not judder?l that your talking about?

6. I’ve owned Xs for 6 years now and the sun visor works exactly as it needs to for a windshield like the X. I think you just haven’t gotten used to how to use it yet. The movement on it is very stiff so your able to place it in any location not just lock it across like a normal visor. This allows you to block the sun across the entire windshield. You’ll get used to it and realize it works perfectly. I noticed back when I first got my X someone reviewing and conllaining about the location of the falcon close door button on the back edge of the falcon door saying they had to walk to the back of the car to close it and it being in the front of the door would have been better but they didn’t realize that if your standing at the front of the door the interior falcon open close button is easily accessible. Many things were done for a reason in the Xs design and you will find out why and how to use them over time.

7. Seat back pockets are messy looking and would ruin the minimalist feel of Tesla vehicles.

8. The seats being firmer was actually one of my favorite things in the new X. This is a high performance vehicle and the other Tesla models seats felt squishy and didn’t hold you in place as they should while driving aggressively. Squishy isn’t always better and for a lot of people isn’t more comfortable either.

9. With the 6 seat configuration I think all 3 rows are more than comfortable enough for an adult. I’ve taken 15+ hour road trips in our Xs from every seat location and the only complaint I had was the center cup holders digging into my leg in the third row but was glad to see this was significantly improved on the refreshed X design although not entirely fixed it is no longer a discomfort.

10. As long as you adjust all the rows to split the leg room the third row is perfectly fine. Especially with the ability to put your leg up through the middle in the six seat configuration. Your obviously not sitting back there if your 6’4” but I’ve had 6’1 adults back there side by side for extended drives with no complaints due to the 6 seat middle spacing.

11. It is a little tucked back compared to the Y but hasn’t bothered me yet. For people who sit in a super far and leaned back position to drive I could see needing to sit up to press something on the screen but for most I doubt the distance away is an issue. Not to mention it is further away because it is beautifully built into the dash vs the Y and 3 which seems like the screen was just plopped in there which has always been my biggest complaint about my 3.

Give yourself some time to get used to the X and you’ll find out all its quirks seem to have meaning and you’ll fall more and more in love with it over time.

Awesome!! Can we get your review and pics?
The car is insane. I am from fast cars (911tt, f90 m5, ram trx etc), this is different kind of machine. Im sure you all know its speed and tech, so im going to jump into some negatives. There are some panel alignment issue with both falcon doors, just not perfectly aligned thats all. No complaints about its built quality inside wise. Once at supercharger station, it was throwing codes (parking brake light, rear camera was frozen etc..), and it was doing spotty charging . So i moved to next charger and reset the computer (hold down both knobs on steering), everything was good.

Otherwise im still learning the car and its tech, its my first Tesla and first EV.

Took 4 months from ordering (the app was saying August delivery and jumped to March like a week before delivery date).

Attachments

• 6C374C56-5EB1-4AE1-9D0B-9515D85A8212.jpeg
    6C374C56-5EB1-4AE1-9D0B-9515D85A8212.jpeg
    759.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 59283558-D6B4-4859-80B8-902415214C09.jpeg
    59283558-D6B4-4859-80B8-902415214C09.jpeg
    611.7 KB · Views: 212
  • BB1E65FB-9D44-492A-8D5A-26167B0B2483.jpeg
    BB1E65FB-9D44-492A-8D5A-26167B0B2483.jpeg
    438.3 KB · Views: 217
After installing a child seat in the rear seat, I looked for the storage compartment in the falcon door to store some items for my child and was shocked at first as there is no storage compartment. However, it makes sense because of how the falcon doors open and the items could fall onto your head. So then I reached for the seatback storage pocket and couldn't believe there wasn't one there either! There is literally no storage areas in the rear. Not very child friendly.

Try this little storage / cubby for the rear area: Topfit Model X Model Y Car Center Console Drawer Storage Box Glasses Box Customized for Tesla Trash Can (for Model X&Y Rear

Thanks for the comments and advice everyone. I ultimately decided to sell it as I didn’t think it was quite for me given its quirks and overall how it compared to my MYP.

However, today Tesla emailed me and banned me for life from ever ordering a Tesla again, claiming I’m a reseller. I didn’t order this vehicle over a year ago to be a car dealer or reseller.

They said the decision is final and I have no way of responding.

They even cancelled my Cybertruck order.

I’m absolutely appalled… They have lost a customer for life. I guess now my friends and family will no longer have to listen to me convincing them to buy a Tesla.

Thanks for the comments and advice everyone. I ultimately decided to sell it as I didn’t think it was quite for me given its quirks and overall how it compared to my MYP.

However, today Tesla emailed me and banned me for life from ever ordering a Tesla again, claiming I’m a reseller. I didn’t order this vehicle over a year ago to be a car dealer or reseller.

I’m absolutely appalled… They have lost a customer for life. I guess now my friends and family will no longer have to listen to me convincing them to buy a Tesla.

Let’s not be disingenuous here ….

Your exact words above: “I'll most likely flip the vehicle as I can get a much price than what I paid and really consider if I should order another one again as I don't mind waiting.”

So in other words, you did exactly what Tesla said you did, and posted your intent to do so above.

So now saying “oh, it just wasn’t for me” is walking back your intent to flip for profit.

C’mon now. Be honest with yourself. You got greedy and got caught.

Lesson for everyone else; don’t think Tesla isn’t reading these forums, and can’t figure out who you are ……

Your exact words above: “I'll most likely flip the vehicle as I can get a much price than what I paid and really consider if I should order another one again as I don't mind waiting.”

So in other words, you did exactly what Tesla said you did, and posted your intent to do so above.

So now saying “oh, it just wasn’t for me” is walking back your intent to flip for profit.

Lesson for everyone else; don’t think Tesla isn’t reading these forums, and can’t figure out who you are ……
Yup, I found out quickly when I was reached out by my RV dealer when I was discussing going to another dealer on a private FB group dedicated to the RV manufacturer. From a manufacture who never made it known that they troll the threads.

Yeah, water is wet, but nothing is private on the internet anymore.

A couple quick db queries and a bit of internet sluthing is all it took to find out who done it now a days.

• Informative
Reactions: dmurphy
Yup, I found out quickly when I was reached out by my RV dealer when I was discussing going to another dealer on a private FB group dedicated to the RV manufacturer. From a manufacture who never made it known that they troll the threads.

Yeah, water is wet, but nothing is private on the internet anymore.

A couple quick db queries and a bit of internet sluthing is all it took to find out who done it now a days.

“You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it!" (Scott McNealy, CEO Sun Microsystems, 1999)​

Scott was right. And I miss Sun. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Reactions: blodg1

Did you not read my reasoning on why I don’t like the vehicle? I sold it over a week ago and didn’t re order. If I did, then yes I got “caught.” I ordered another vehicle from a different manufacturer.

Either way, not sure why I’m a wasting my time arguing with a hardcore Tesla fanboy.

Did you not read my reasoning on why I don’t like the vehicle? I sold it over a week ago and didn’t re order. If I did, then yes I got “caught.” I ordered another vehicle from a different manufacturer.

Either way, not sure why I’m a wasting my time arguing with a hardcore Tesla fanboy.

You said, point blank, that you were going to sell it so you could profit. That’s EXACTLY the behavior Tesla is trying to stop.

I was with you all the way reading your post - including your gripes - right until you said that. Especially since you said you wanted to sell and reorder because you don’t mind the wait.
That’s just straight up trying to profiteer. You saw an opportunity and jumped at it, and got caught.

I also despise people trying to “sell” their reservations. And dealerships adding ridiculous markups, too, on non Tesla vehicles. Those shouldn’t exist.

But that’s enough from me, your sick fanboy burn really put me in my place.

Things are getting sloppy at Tesla, I guess they’ve grown into a typical auto manufacturer.

1. I have this noise as well and an appointment Monday to fix it I’ll let you know what it is

2. No complaints about the road noise here 🤷🏼‍♂️ It’s a heavy car with summer performance tires on it.. noise is as expected.

4. I’ve only noticed this juddering on the first minute or so of each drive which apparently is across all plaids. Does yours not go away over time? Or could this just be the tire slippage under extreme acceleration and not judder?l that your talking about?

6. I’ve owned Xs for 6 years now and the sun visor works exactly as it needs to for a windshield like the X. I think you just haven’t gotten used to how to use it yet. The movement on it is very stiff so your able to place it in any location not just lock it across like a normal visor. This allows you to block the sun across the entire windshield. You’ll get used to it and realize it works perfectly. I noticed back when I first got my X someone reviewing and conllaining about the location of the falcon close door button on the back edge of the falcon door saying they had to walk to the back of the car to close it and it being in the front of the door would have been better but they didn’t realize that if your standing at the front of the door the interior falcon open close button is easily accessible. Many things were done for a reason in the Xs design and you will find out why and how to use them over time.

7. Seat back pockets are messy looking and would ruin the minimalist feel of Tesla vehicles.

8. The seats being firmer was actually one of my favorite things in the new X. This is a high performance vehicle and the other Tesla models seats felt squishy and didn’t hold you in place as they should while driving aggressively. Squishy isn’t always better and for a lot of people isn’t more comfortable either.

9. With the 6 seat configuration I think all 3 rows are more than comfortable enough for an adult. I’ve taken 15+ hour road trips in our Xs from every seat location and the only complaint I had was the center cup holders digging into my leg in the third row but was glad to see this was significantly improved on the refreshed X design although not entirely fixed it is no longer a discomfort.

10. As long as you adjust all the rows to split the leg room the third row is perfectly fine. Especially with the ability to put your leg up through the middle in the six seat configuration. Your obviously not sitting back there if your 6’4” but I’ve had 6’1 adults back there side by side for extended drives with no complaints due to the 6 seat middle spacing.

11. It is a little tucked back compared to the Y but hasn’t bothered me yet. For people who sit in a super far and leaned back position to drive I could see needing to sit up to press something on the screen but for most I doubt the distance away is an issue. Not to mention it is further away because it is beautifully built into the dash vs the Y and 3 which seems like the screen was just plopped in there which has always been my biggest complaint about my 3.

Give yourself some time to get used to the X and you’ll find out all its quirks seem to have meaning and you’ll fall more and more in love with it over time.
We purchased a MY in Mar. 21 and it was perfect with no issues. Now after 10 mos. waiting for MX Plaid arrived with paint issues and no FSD working. 1 week later paint issues taken care of and FSD working. Loose Fnt. drivers camera mount still loose but that's it. Car handles and looks perfect. Sorry some guy on You Tube had so many issues scratched paint and other issues. Some accessories from Amazon: The mud guards went on with 2 clamps and 1 screw on each. You will need a 90 degree drill and turn front wheels for easier install.

Master Lock 1480DAT Stainless Steel Receiver Lock for 5/8 in. Receiver Hole,CURT 40004 Chrome Trailer Hitch Ball, 6,000 lbs, 2-Inch Diameter, 1 x 2-1/8-Inch Shank, Draw-Tite 40381 2" Drop Aluminum Ball Mount,

Travelambo Front Pocket Minimalist Leather Slim Wallet RFID Blocking Medium Size(Sky Blue),

Chirano Lifting Jack Pad for Tesla Model 3/S/X/Y, 4 Pucks with a Storage Case, Accessories for Tesla Vehicles

2021-2022 Tesla Model S/Model X Plaid Screen Protectors (9H Hardness) Front & Back Matte
Nansure Tesla Model X Mud Flaps Splash Guards Mudguard Mudflaps Accessories (Set of Four)

Attachments

• 20220314_103410.jpg
    20220314_103410.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 152
I'm sure you can call them up and plead your case.... Maybe explain to them that it wasn't your intention and that you've never done this before.... Surely there has to be some type of wiggle room, after all these are 130K+ cars.... People can realize after they buy it that it doesn't fit their budget or something can come up because life happens.

And if that fails, couldn't you just create a new Tesla account? I'm not sure if they go by your address, but in that case I'm sure you can use a parents or in-laws address, etc.. and then change it when it comes time to register the vehicle..

I'm sure there are many ways around this.

Lol crazy

Did you order another one when you sold? I'm wondering if Tesla found out about you selling the car because you ordered one soon after delivery.