Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X was rear ended. What is the average repair time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brand new 2022 Tesla Model X was rear-ended on 11/13/2022 and it is still sitting in the repair shop. The Tesla insurance quote took a whole month to obtain. The quote was about $25K including labor fee. While a part order was placed on 12/29/2022, they are still waiting for the floor panel, a critical component that is necessary to begin the repair. As a Tesla owner, I expected timely and efficient service, especially when it comes to repairing a brand new car, but I was wrong. They changed the estimated delivery date more than 10 times - end of January, Feb 5th, Feb 13th, Feb 19th, Feb 22nd, Feb 26th, Mar 1st, Mar 5th, Mar 13th and now Mar 20th. This extended waiting period is unacceptable and has caused me considerable inconvenience and stress. Does anyone have a similar experience to mine?

My UK X has been in for repair since mid dec '22 - and they are missing the rear left fender - no ETA on the part.

But I'll get rid of the Tesla once repaired - no point in supporting a company that does not support its own clients with spare-parts within a reasonable timeframe.

Sorry to hear about the delay and hope it gets repaired soon but unfortunately your experience is the norm. Check this out: Today is nine months I have been waiting for my Tesla X to be repaired. What should I do?
The rear floor panel was ordered at the end of December 2022, but it is still out of stock and there has been no ETA during the last three months. Is it normal to experience such a delay? I noticed a similar case that you linked, but I believe my situation is quite different.

My UK X has been in for repair since mid dec '22 - and they are missing the rear left fender - no ETA on the part.

But I'll get rid of the Tesla once repaired - no point in supporting a company that does not support its own clients with spare-parts within a reasonable timeframe.
I agree. I also want to sell it once repaired. However, Tesla used car price is way too much down due to new car discount. My daughter, who lives in the Bay Area, wanted to buy a Tesla, but she has now changed her mind due to my bad situation.

According to my garage most parts have arrived. But I was supposed to get the car 2 days ago but they have again delayed it another week.

But after talking to multiple people wanting a Tesla I can now say with pride that I have prevented at least 5 Tesla purchases. I know I should wait until ours is sold - but I would not wish a Tesla on my worst enemy.

I'm in the same boat as you @davidrchoi , and I think we are waiting on the same part.
Have you received the part and completed the repair? Mine arrived on May 1st, but my car is still in repair, and they said it will be completed in another 3 months from now. If so, total repair time will be 11 months from the day of accident. At this moment, I cannot trust the repair shop any longer. Can I get help from Tesla because the shop was approved by Tesla?

@davidrchoi I just received my car back this past Friday. My experience with the body shop was much different than yours, they were super responsive and quick to prioritize my car once they received the required parts. Although there were a few hiccups, such as Tesla sending the wrong parts, causing the repair time to drag on. I don't think Tesla will help in this situation, they are not involved with the insurance or the body shop. If the body shop has all the parts already, it seems unreasonable that the repair will take 3 months, unless they just don't have the man power to prioritize your car.

@davidrchoi I just received my car back this past Friday. My experience with the body shop was much different than yours, they were super responsive and quick to prioritize my car once they received the required parts. Although there were a few hiccups, such as Tesla sending the wrong parts, causing the repair time to drag on. I don't think Tesla will help in this situation, they are not involved with the insurance or the body shop. If the body shop has all the parts already, it seems unreasonable that the repair will take 3 months, unless they just don't have the man power to prioritize your car.
Thank you for the update. Today marks eleven months since the day of the accident. I'm still waiting for my Model X, and everything is nearly in order, except for the issue with the third brake light and awaiting final approval from Tesla Insurance.

Wow! Are you driving a rental car last 11 months? Who’s paying for it?
My Tesla insurance covers a rental car for only one month. The driver responsible for the accident is expected to cover the remaining ten months, but they have very limited insurance. Instead of renting a car, I have purchased another Tesla (Model S) and intend to sell the Model X once it has been repaired.

My Tesla insurance covers a rental car for only one month. The driver responsible for the accident is expected to cover the remaining ten months, but they have very limited insurance. Instead of renting a car, I have purchased another Tesla (Model S) and intend to sell the Model X once it has been repaired.
You have means for that but for a regular person this is really unacceptable. It should not take this long to repair the car.