Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone get a shipping notification from tparts for the Ryzen module yet? Website says backordered until mid March but mine hasn’t shipped yet.
Hi,

We are here to give a update the AMD Ryzen Module status.

The shipment has arrived Long Beach ports and waiting for the custom clearance now. We are trying our best to push the process and the latest estimated time of delivery will be end of next week. Once we have it on hand, we will ship it ASAP to all the backorder customers!

Thank you for all the trust and we are always here to answer any questions!

TPARTS

Holy crap. I had this thing in my cart thinking about buying it, but today I went to place the order and it went up $20. Guess I will be buying a hub, $70 was already pushing it for what I would be willing to spend.
He gave everyone fair warning…multiple times. Plus, it’s much cheaper than other options.

I’d spend some time going through the owners manual and the other thread about the missing data in the center console. Many people have had issues using USB hubs in the glove box. Tesla warns against using a USB hub in that area.

Reactions: TESPLUS
I agree with you @ItsMeDario , while $70 feels like a lot to some people for a generic usb hub, this part is not that.
This is a low volume custom fitted device to replace a "defective", internal OEM part, and it was created and delivered in a very short period of time during a chip shortage.
It was tested to be compatible with the infotainment system and (should be) made of automotive grade components.
After fitting this inside the center console one might purchase a generic usb hub, which perhaps might cost just a few bucks.

Anyway mine shipped out yesterday and I expect to receive it tomorrow - excited to check it out and gain center console data :)

Reactions: Wilber and TESPLUS
He gave everyone fair warning…multiple times. Plus, it’s much cheaper than other options.

I’d spend some time going through the owners manual and the other thread about the missing data in the center console. Many people have had issues using USB hubs in the glove box. Tesla warns against using a USB hub in that area.
$12 for a hub from Amazon is quite a bit cheaper. If it doesn’t work I can return for free. I’ll take my chances and see how it goes.

$12 for a hub from Amazon is quite a bit cheaper. If it doesn’t work I can return for free. I’ll take my chances and see how it goes.
Not trying to be a jerk here but you should really look through the other thread. I’d link it if I wasn’t on my phone. A user complained about his screen going black and Tesla explicitly telling him that the USB in the glove does not support a USB hub. Again, your car and your life so do as you wish. I’m just trying to be helpful here. I don’t work for TParts and won’t be impacted by whatever decision you make. All I ask is that you do some research, for your safety and anyone that rides in your vehicle.

I agree with you @ItsMeDario , while $70 feels like a lot to some people for a generic usb hub, this part is not that.
This is a low volume custom fitted device to replace a "defective", internal OEM part, and it was created and delivered in a very short period of time during a chip shortage.
It was tested to be compatible with the infotainment system and (should be) made of automotive grade components.
After fitting this inside the center console one might purchase a generic usb hub, which perhaps might cost just a few bucks.

Anyway mine shipped out yesterday and I expect to receive it tomorrow - excited to check it out and gain center console data :)
I understand what the device does, doesn’t make it worth the additional price. I’m not sure what you mean by a defective part since it functions as advertised, also not sure how you’ve determined it’s automotive grade as the pictures look like generic Chinese parts to me. And if it malfunctions and burns your car down I doubt they will pay for the damages.

Not trying to be a jerk here but you should really look through the other thread. I’d link it if I wasn’t on my phone. A user complained about his screen going black and Tesla explicitly telling him that the USB in the glove does not support a USB hub. Again, your car and your life so do as you wish. I’m just trying to be helpful here. I don’t work for TParts and won’t be impacted by whatever decision you make. All I ask is that you do some research, for your safety and anyone that rides in your vehicle.
If using a USB hub with the USB data port currently located inside the glove box was an issue then the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual would provide a warning. The online version of the Owner's Manual states "For some vehicles manufactured after approximately November 1, 2021, the center console USB ports may only support charging devices. Use the USB port inside the glove box for all other functions." Use only an unpowered USB hub. According to the 2020 version of the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual powered USB devices such as powered USB hubs can interfere with the TPMS system.

Reactions: buddhafree
I’ve read through plenty of these threads and have yet to see anyone complain of this issue. Can you link it here? Also, being from the automotive industry and knowing how warranty works you’re 99% more likely to void all your warranty with this than you would with a hub. I say you’d be just as better off doing your research as well.

Last edited:
I’ve read through plenty of these threads and have yet to see anyone complain of this issue. Can you link it here? Also, being from the automotive industry and knowing how warranty works you’re 99% more likely to void all your warranty with this than you would with a hub. I say you’d be just as better off doing your research as well.
Post in thread 'No Sonic with my update'
No Sonic with my update

Post in thread 'No Sonic with my update'
No Sonic with my update
Thanks for the Link. In my honest opinion this doesn’t prove that the hub caused any issues. They simply stated the CPU usage was high likely due to the hub. Software can and will always have bugs, and yes, adding 4 or 5 peripherals to a computer will always increase resource usage and on a car that should always be a consideration. I however only use Spotify and will only be adding the hub to add a Bluetooth controller to use while parked so I don’t have to keep the glovebox open. I’ll monitor the CPU usage of the system and report back here so I can get everyone a little realistic feedback on if it should be considered safe or not.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Hi all,

Just want to be clarify on our product and some issues people are talking about.

First, we do used automotive grade chips on our Console data module and we have one year warranty on our product.

Second, our product wouldn’t cause the user lose the warranty of your Tesla, as our product wouldn’t damage any part in your Tesla. We have customer used our DATA MODULE and brought the Tesla to service center, the Tesla service Center still provide warranty to him.

Hope this answered your concerns!

TPARTS

Hi all,

Just want to be clarify on our product and some issues people are talking about.

First, we do used automotive grade chips on our Console data module and we have one year warranty on our product.

Second, our product wouldn’t cause the user lose the warranty of your Tesla, as our product wouldn’t damage any part in your Tesla. We have customer used our DATA MODULE and brought the Tesla to service center, the Tesla service Center still provide warranty to him.

Hope this answered your concerns!

TPARTS
I am all for you standing behind your product. But please do not mislead people in to thinking that it will not void their warranty if it does cause an unforeseen issue to their car. I have processed over 10,000 warranty claims in my lifetime for various automotive dealers and can say with 100% certainty any modification made that can be proven to have caused an issue will void your warranty. Tesla even outlines this in their Warranty manual. So if your product is not certified for use by Tesla and is installed by the end user this is 100% a valid cause for concern.
1648427522528.png

@journeyman846 Although I do not believe @TPARTS is intentionally misleading anyone you have a point.

I'd also like to add that English is likely not the first language of the person posting as TPARTS and it is not reasonable to hold them to a Perry Mason standard of legal righteousness :)

While the TPARTS module is likely not certified by Tesla, it's mere presence would not void any warranty arbitrarily - no matter what Tesla publishes, there are fortunately laws preventing that.

The case where such a part could cause Tesla to not pay for a repair, replacement and/or labor would occur when the non-certified part is known to or reasonably suspected to have caused the failure of the failed warrantied part.

Thus the concern might be, "if your Infotainment system fails and it is reasonably possible that the non-certified part caused it, the user would have to pay for fixing the infotainment system, not Tesla"

Chances of that happening? Pretty small I think. When was the last time you had a USB hub smoke your PC?

...Worried? Need to weasel out of it or the uber-paranoid type? Put the original part back in before going for service. Not too hard J

@journeyman846 Although I do not believe @TPARTS is intentionally misleading anyone you have a point.

I'd also like to add that English is likely not the first language of the person posting as TPARTS and it is not reasonable to hold them to a Perry Mason standard of legal righteousness :)

While the TPARTS module is likely not certified by Tesla, it's mere presence would not void any warranty arbitrarily - no matter what Tesla publishes, there are fortunately laws preventing that.

The case where such a part could cause Tesla to not pay for a repair, replacement and/or labor would occur when the non-certified part is known to or reasonably suspected to have caused the failure of the failed warrantied part.

Thus the concern might be, "if your Infotainment system fails and it is reasonably possible that the non-certified part caused it, the user would have to pay for fixing the infotainment system, not Tesla"

Chances of that happening? Pretty small I think. When was the last time you had a USB hub smoke your PC?

...Worried? Need to weasel out of it or the uber-paranoid type? Put the original part back in before going for service. Not too hard J
I agree that the chances are slim, but not impossible, I have in fact encountered many failures on a PC due to a faulty USB device. Just an internally shorted one or bad driver will cause kernel panics and a BSOD. And the problem with the logic of taking it out doesn’t work on a Tesla like it would older cars as everything plugged in to it is going to create a traceable log or event within the system. It’s also a guarantee that Tesla is pushing some of these logs to their DBs for debugging. Not trying to push out paranoia as you’re completely right that they would have to prove it was the cause, but I can say my lawyer against there’s is not likely going to be a very fair fight.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I agree that the chances are slim, but not impossible, I have in fact encountered many failures on a PC due to a faulty USB device. Just an internally shorted one or bad driver will cause kernel panics and a BSOD. And the problem with the logic of taking it out doesn’t work on a Tesla like it would older cars as everything plugged in to it is going to create a traceable log or event within the system. It’s also a guarantee that Tesla is pushing some of these logs to their DBs for debugging. Not trying to push out paranoia as you’re completely right that they would have to prove it was the cause, but I can say my lawyer against there’s is not likely going to be a very fair fight.
I don't see this as any different that a hub in the glovebox. Same rules apply. No? Or a phone connected to the USB-C power only ports that could smoke the power module, and cause a warranty issue because of the device you plugged in (hub, or USB charging cable). Not too different in my opinion.

I don't see this as any different that a hub in the glovebox. Same rules apply. No? Or a phone connected to the USB-C power only ports that could smoke the power module, and cause a warranty issue because of the device you plugged in (hub, or USB charging cable). Not too different in my opinion.
I think the difference is that the car was designed to have a powered hub in the center console. So the power doesn't come from the MCU, just the data. My understanding is the port in the glovebox is just 100% from the MCU, power and data.