Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ryzen hub I ordered got delivered today, and I just successfully installed it.
It took me roughly 20 min, including time taken for USB hub testing.

Indeed pulling the console panel was the hardest procedure and most time consuming as others pointed out. Thanks!
I used two short flat screw drivers inserted right under the two insert protrusions of provided tool (I found this tool flimsy and bend easily to be useful as a leverage).
Using those flat screw drivers as leverage, I could take the bottom end of panel off.
IMG_5227.jpg

I also tested whether a USB hub I have works off this newly installed USB C data port: the great news is that it works!
The hub I used is KIKIMO USB C hub offering 4 USB 3.0 ports from Amazon.com.
KIKIMO Tesla USB C Hub
I have my MP3 file collection in a USB thumb driver on this USB hub now.
Happy ending of my experience.

BTW @TPARTS
What is this item included in the package for?
IMG_5228.jpg

Look like it's for a laptop webcam lol, to cover it when you don't want to be seen. I have one on my MacBook. So perhaps for interior cam.
Yep, I checked and see that Tparts sells it for $2 as a separate item...

Privacy slide cover

I guess you are supposed to install the privacy cover first so Tesla won't see you installing the console USB data module. ;)

Yes I will be refusing delivery at this cost. I was already on the fence about the cost, not another 50% in duty, no thanks.
Hi,

We were noted by @davidms12 that UPS charge duty on the shipment to Canada, while we were not able to find any 3rd party carrier offers cheap shipping solution for order going to Canada as the import duty is mandated for all goods shipped to Canada.

USPS does have a cheaper brokerage fee while they charge $60 for the shipping label and it takes at least 14-21 days to be delivered. So, there's no way to get around the import duty for all Canada customer.

Thus, for all the Canada customer, please note there will be a import duty applied and the amount will be depending on order value. And we will keep looking for any feasible shipping solution, but before that, all the order will be going through UPS standard and brokerage fee (import tax) will be applied to the order.

TPARTS

Did anyone else in Canada get hit with a $42 import fee for this module?
Yes, I was hit with a $38 UPS brokerage fee at the time. I was trying to self-clear it myself to save on $26 of fees but UPS dragged their feet during that process and I was in a rush to acquire it and get it installed. I caved and ended up paying the $38. 😞
Now 1.5 months later, I got a UPS invoice saying my $38 needs to be paid. Clearly it was paid since they released and delivered it. Just so dumb.

For next time I now know what to do and will for sure give UPS and their broker fee the 🖕.

Perhaps those who are close to the US border could use a virtual US address service, pay a small fee to get it delivered on the US side of the border for cheaper shipping from TPARTS and then cross the border to pick it up and handle the Canadian importing yourself? Langley BC is close to a couple of crossings like Blaine and a bit further away is Sumas. For example, Pacific Mail and Parcel

Yes, I was hit with a $38 UPS brokerage fee at the time. I was trying to self-clear it myself to save on $26 of fees but UPS dragged their feet during that process and I was in a rush to acquire it and get it installed. I caved and ended up paying the $38. 😞
Now 1.5 months later, I got a UPS invoice saying my $38 needs to be paid. Clearly it was paid since they released and delivered it. Just so dumb.

For next time I now know what to do and will for sure give UPS and their broker fee the 🖕.
Yep, if you buy a lot overseas and use the big carriers, the brokerage fees can sometimes be a lot more than the duty itself, especially for lower value items. Here in the US, usually the way to avoid that is to use US postal service (or a service that clears via postal service), but it tends to be slower. Not sure if Canada has those services, but not every foreign seller may support it. Most seller just use the big carriers (UPS, FedEx, etc) since they serve countries all around the world.

Perhaps those who are close to the US border could use a virtual US address service, pay a small fee to get it delivered on the US side of the border for cheaper shipping from TPARTS and then cross the border to pick it up and handle the Canadian importing yourself? Langley BC is close to a couple of crossings like Blaine and a bit further away is Sumas. For example, Pacific Mail and Parcel
100% I would’ve done this (I go to Lynden) but this was two months ago and PCR tests were still a requirement. I think maybe the Point Roberts PCR exemption was after I had ordered even.

Hi,

Yes, we are testing the compatibility of the data module with various USB hub on the market now.

We do apology for not doing that in our design phase as we don't have the detailed parameter of all different USB hub suppliers. And we really want to push the progress and deliver the product for 2022 Tesla owners who's Tesla doesn't have the data transmission functions.

TPARTS

So sad to report my TEMAI hub is not working after installing this module.

Reactions: chadol
Hi,

We were noted by @davidms12 that UPS charge duty on the shipment to Canada, while we were not able to find any 3rd party carrier offers cheap shipping solution for order going to Canada as the import duty is mandated for all goods shipped to Canada.

USPS does have a cheaper brokerage fee while they charge $60 for the shipping label and it takes at least 14-21 days to be delivered. So, there's no way to get around the import duty for all Canada customer.

Thus, for all the Canada customer, please note there will be a import duty applied and the amount will be depending on order value. And we will keep looking for any feasible shipping solution, but before that, all the order will be going through UPS standard and brokerage fee (import tax) will be applied to the order.

TPARTS
I’m not sure why you’re being quoted $60 by USPS. I split my time between Canada and California and often ship packages back via USPS. A box such as the one you sent the module in would cost $18 to send from 92201. Typically there are no import fees when using USPS, though there has been an occasion where there is a $5 import fee. UPS has always been terrible into Canada and as such I’ve been shipping via USPS for years.

I’m not sure why you’re being quoted $60 by USPS. I split my time between Canada and California and often ship packages back via USPS. A box such as the one you sent the module in would cost $18 to send from 92201. Typically there are no import fees when using USPS, though there has been an occasion where there is a $5 import fee. UPS has always been terrible into Canada and as such I’ve been shipping via USPS for years.
Hi David,

Thank you for your valuable feedback

We've send you a message regarding the Canada shipping rate. Let us know if the price you mentioned is the counter price USPS offered and we may bring orders to USPS for a cheaper rate.

TPARTS

Well, I’ll roll the dice. Ordered the TParts module just now so I can more easily play flac media from usb device rather than tax the glovebox USB port with a hub, if that even works. I hear mixed reports.
Ordered mid day on weekday & it arrived just over 32 hours later. Wow! Reason is I’m located about 40 miles north of TParts and I live 15 minutes from Los Angeles’s main UPS distribution site. Looking forward to install, flac hi def music via usb-c and some game controllers. Lot less fuss than dealing with glovebox.

I ordered the TPARTS module yesterday for my Ryzen-equipped MYP. I live ten minutes from the TPARTS warehouse in Tustin, CA, so I opted for local pickup.

Met Chris, who runs the business. Super nice guy, even offered to install the module for me. I’m glad he did, because it required significant effort to pop off the panel. I understand now why some have struggled, and I’m certain I would have, too. He did the retrofit in about 10 minutes. We tested the ports and it recognized his USB thumb drive immediately and we were able to play music off it. TPARTS sells a separate USB hub, which I opted to buy to save time and avoid issues with other hubs.

Once home, I tried my Logitech wireless game controller and Samsung thumb drive loaded with FLAC music. Everything worked (and continues to work) flawlessly.

I highly recommend doing local pickup if you are in OC.