Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If using a USB hub with the USB data port currently located inside the glove box was an issue then the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual would provide a warning. The online version of the Owner's Manual states "For some vehicles manufactured after approximately November 1, 2021, the center console USB ports may only support charging devices. Use the USB port inside the glove box for all other functions." Use only an unpowered USB hub. According to the 2020 version of the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual powered USB devices such as powered USB hubs can interfere with the TPMS system.

This isn't the only thread with information on the lack of data. There are multiple threads and information. Again, do as you wish but there are well-documented issues.

I think the difference is that the car was designed to have a powered hub in the center console. So the power doesn't come from the MCU, just the data. My understanding is the port in the glovebox is just 100% from the MCU, power and data.
Yes, this is exactly right. The difference is that Tesla has to expect a user to plug in a USB to a USB port. They however do not have to expect someone to remove and replace an entire module that isn't considered a user replaceable item. You are not modifying a part of the car by installing a hub in the glovebox. Now with that being said, yes, they could still deny your warranty if you plug in a device that fries the MCU but it would be much harder to prove negligence on your end when the port itself has a reasonable expectancy to protect itself in this type of situation.

Last edited:
There are 100's of mods people do to their cars.
Powered frunk, LED lights, Audiophile sound systems, cameras, heads up displays, you name it.
If threads about all those cool topics were all taken over by legal discussions and paranoid musings about blowing up your car and fighting with billionaire lawyers well that would be a shame.
How bout starting a new thread: "Scared to mod yer car: read this first!!" or something

I got my data module today, installed it and it works as designed, really nice. '
I took some photos of the circuit board before installing so folks can look at the components (will post maybe later tonight).
Really happy with this thing and thankful to TPARTS for doing such a nice design.

I have my own music in the car now, yeea!!

Here's a photo of the main side of the circuit board. Looks like there are a couple of components on the other side but I didn't want to tear it out of the casing. When I get a bit I'll put up a photo from the original Tesla board for comparison
20220329_163229.jpg

Reactions: TESPLUS and PineNut
Got mine today as well.

@tribhuvanji - my VIN is 203xxx (Model 3). I’m curious where you are as far as VIN or build date. I’ve had a slight fear the data cable might not be included with my car. Also, any install tips you can share would be greatly appreciated.
Hi @lagomorph I'm running a Y (7SAYGDEF5NF367xxx) delivered at the end of Jan '22.

I was also a bit worried the cable wouldn't be there but after popping the panel out there she was.
A mini-USB-B (male) cable with a fat plastic housing around it, taped with a tad of duct tape to the power cable.

Using the tool provided I wrapped a microfiber cloth around the handle to cushion my fingers when pulling.
The tool slides in under the bottom of the panel in the console.
With both hands and steady increasing pressure I popped the left-bottom clip out, then the right.
Once both clips at the bottom were out, put the tool aside.
Gently rock the panel upwards and away from the console, the 3 clips at the top will come lose.

To un-plug out the power cable use finger to gently pry up the black "handle" type clip on the connector, lightly, it will come out.
Then you are free to pull the panel out of the console.

If you peer into the cavity you should see the data cable adjacent to the power cable, loosely attached with a small piece of duct tape.
Peel off the tape and unwind the data cable from the power cable (it's just twisted a couple of times) otherwise it will be too short.

After swapping the component with the 3 screws, wiggle the panel into the console, connectors facing the passenger seat.
Plug in the data cable (gentle, once it's in position it goes in real easy with a satisfying 'click')
Power cable plugs in next.
Then wiggle it again into position, lining up the tabs to the metal clips at the top, gently pressing in and it will snap back in.
That's about it!

I actually did a quick data test before snapping the console back together.

Whole thing took like 10m, anyone doing it more than once would bring it down to like 3 min - it's easy :)

I got my TParts USB module (Ryzen version) today and installed it. It works! Thanks Tparts! I think it's well worth the price, especially after seeing the circuit board photo above and now having dual USB ports which still look factory installed (vs. adding an external USB hub which may or may not work).

The removal tool they provide looks flimsy in the photos, but it's actually thick enough to do the job of grabbing the USB panel in the console by the two small holes at the bottom. But I agree it gets a bit painful pulling real hard with it, so wrapping it or wearing gloves would help.

I was sitting in the driver's seat trying to remove the panel and I couldn't pull it open at first. The steering wheel gets in the way a bit and it's hard to get the leverage to pull hard enough. It might be easier from the passenger seat (no steering wheel) or maybe while kneeling on the passenger seat's floor. I didn't try that because the car was in our garage (snowing outside) and too close to my wife's car.

Normally you would insert the the two hooks on the tool all the way in the holes and tug on the tool which would be perpendicular to the USB ports panel. After not having luck with that, I instead inserted the two hooks only about 1/3rd of the way in and used it as a lever by pushing gently on the tool from it being parallel to the USB panel towards making it perpendicular (almost 90 degree rotation of the tool). After pushing back and forth a minute or two one side of the bottom of the USB panel snapped open and then the other side popped out easily. After that you just lift the USB panel up from the bottom a few times until the top of the panel comes loose.

The cables don't have much excess length to them, especially the USB data cable which is very short. It took a bit more time to position the loose USB panel close enough to get the data cable plugged in. Hopefully the newer MY/M3 cars will continue to be delivered with the USB data cable. My MYLR had a 2/12/2022 "birthday" and an F375 VIN.

Anyway, I agree this would be a very simple install if you've already done it before. But it wasn't too bad the first time either and it took me about 20 minutes. I suppose there is a risk of breaking one of the plastic clips holding the USB panel in place but my guess is you could afford to break at least one of them because the panel fits in snuggly.

@PineNut Re: ...(vs. adding an external USB hub which may or may not work)
After I installed & successfully tested the new (Ryzen) data module from TPARTS I tried plugging in a couple of USB hubs, none work.
You can see the hub gets power (led light, etc) but connecting a data device to the additional hub won't work.
I'm pretty sure it's the Infotainment software that does not want to do data over nested hubs.
The secondary hub seems to pass power through but not data.

The above has nothing to do with the new data module which works perfectly, just the ITS software.

Reactions: chadol
After I installed & successfully tested the new (Ryzen) data module from TPARTS I tried plugging in a couple of USB hubs, none work.
You can see the hub gets power (led light, etc) but connecting a data device to the additional hub won't work.
I'm pretty sure it's the Infotainment software that does not want to do data over nested hubs.

The above has nothing to do with the new data module which works perfectly, just the ITS software.
I thought the hubs were for the USB port in the globe box or are you talking about something like this JOWUA Mini LED Hub Bar Compatible for 2021-2022 Tesla Model Y & Model 3 USB-C, USB-A, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PC1SD8P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HA2R0KQ0FDFFVVQDY2AZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, while not that exact model, very similar. I tested plugging in a couple of different USB-C hubs into the center console data port. The same hubs work fine for data on my computer but in the center console all they do is power. Quite odd.
(for anyone reading I do have data working in my center console after installing the TPARTS module)

Yes, while not that exact model, very similar. I tested plugging in a couple of different USB-C hubs into the center console data port. The same hubs work fine for data on my computer but in the center console all they do is power. Quite odd.
(for anyone reading I do have data working in my center console after installing the TPARTS module)
That's a bummer, I was hoping the module would enable the hubs, that was sort of my point in getting the module when I received my car. Do the hubs pass data over with Tesla's that came with the factor modules? Wondering what is different about these newer Teslas after they have the upgraded module that blocks them from passing data to a hub. Would the infotainment software block data hubs on the older models?

I found an AUKEY USB-3 hub in the house, used the little USB-C adapter with it and managed to get a data connection through it.
Funny I have one of the custom made TPARTS usb hubs I bought along with the data module, and that doesn't do data.

I'll need some more devices to troubleshoot this: 1 success and 2 failures; both failures were usb-C hubs while the successful one is a USB-3 hub. Weird

I just installed mine too and data does work but hubs are not compatible. Huge bummer since my JEDA hub is no longer compatible...at all! Not even for power. @TPARTS do you know why your module is not compatible with hubs? Seems like this should have been disclosed on your site.
Hi,

Thank you for your valuable feedback!

We just noted this issue as we were not able to test the compatibility of USB hub from all other brands. We have added a note on our product page to disclose this information to all customer!

TPARTS

Reactions: qdeathstar
I found an AUKEY USB-3 hub in the house, used the little USB-C adapter with it and managed to get a data connection through it.
Funny I have one of the custom made TPARTS usb hubs I bought along with the data module, and that doesn't do data.

I'll need some more devices to troubleshoot this: 1 success and 2 failures; both failures were usb-C hubs while the successful one is a USB-3 hub. Weird
Hi,

Just noted your concern! Our data module might not be compatible to the USB hub from other brands as we were not able to test the compatibility of all different kinds USB hub on the market. 😅And thanks to @ItsMeDario we just added a disclosure on our product page.

While our console USB hub is supposed to be compatible to our Data module, would you contact us via email ([email protected]) so we can look into this issue? If the USB hub/Data module is deemed to be defective, we offers free replacement for the parts!

Thank you for your feedback!

TPARTS

Hi,

Just noted your concern! Our data module might not be compatible to the USB hub from other brands as we were not able to test the compatibility of all different kinds USB hub on the market. 😅And thanks to @ItsMeDario we just added a disclosure on our product page.

While our console USB hub is supposed to be compatible to our Data module, would you contact us via email ([email protected]) so we can look into this issue? If the USB hub/Data module is deemed to be defective, we offers free replacement for the parts!

Thank you for your feedback!

TPARTS
I appreciate you staying on top of this issue. Unfortunately I already have a hub I ordered ready to go once the module arrives. Are you going to continue troubleshooting to try to resolve or find some hubs that do work well? As long as I know a hub that can work, I’m good to just go with your recommendation.

Reactions: TESPLUS
I very much want to add front USB ports which support data in to my MYP 2022 (early 12/2021 build) However, I wonder what is the likely hood Tesla might disable data transmission through the unconnected data cables we currently have which plug in to the updated USB module or even an OEM module. I assume Our cars build specification says we shouldn’t have data capable front usb-c ports and a future update could somehow tell the motherboard to totally ignore the data cables the TParts & even OEM module utilize in our builds. From a security standpoint I’d block unneeded openings to a system. We already saw a case where people added passenger lumbar modules since tesla stopped including them. About 1 month later an update removed the ability to adjust the added lumbar supports. Don’t recall if the option also vanished from the UI. Anyone know the likely hood of this happening in the case of the usb modules with data support? I’m kinda upset tesla removed this handy feature without mentioning it. Hope they don’t hinder the retrofits.
Well, I’ll roll the dice. Ordered the TParts module just now so I can more easily play flac media from usb device rather than tax the glovebox USB port with a hub, if that even works. I hear mixed reports.

I appreciate you staying on top of this issue. Unfortunately I already have a hub I ordered ready to go once the module arrives. Are you going to continue troubleshooting to try to resolve or find some hubs that do work well? As long as I know a hub that can work, I’m good to just go with your recommendation.
Hi,

Yes, we are testing the compatibility of the data module with various USB hub on the market now.

We do apology for not doing that in our design phase as we don't have the detailed parameter of all different USB hub suppliers. And we really want to push the progress and deliver the product for 2022 Tesla owners who's Tesla doesn't have the data transmission functions.

TPARTS

Can you please post which hubs you used so others like myself won't buy them? 😄