Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ve got even worse news.

I have a ‘22 MYLR born after 11/1/21 with crippled console USB c ports.

As a work around I put a 4 port usb a hub in the glovebox. I mounted the Tesla usb thumb drive for sentry, a microsd card to port 2 for usb music, and I have a wired controller for use in third port. 4th port empty. I leave the game controller not plugged in. I’m planning to get a wireless dongle to eventually occupy one slot for gaming rather than using a wired controller.

Was three hours from home, just supercharged, and the touch screen went unresponsive. Music started skipping. Then the screen went dark. I was driving at the time. It was night. Headlights stayed on, but directionals no longer functioned externally or internally. Obviously had no idea what speed I was going.

I held down both steering wheel buttons for 20 seconds. Nothing. Pulled over.

Tried both buttons again. Nothing. Tried brake pedal plus both buttons. Nothing. Called support.

While waiting for support, the screen woke up and gave an initializing message. It was dark for over 5 minutes before it recovered.

Support remoted in and said my cpu was going crazy processing and it was likely because i had a usb hub. He said the usb hub in the glovebox can only handle sentry and that’s it. I can take it out for a usb music drive, or for a game controller. He said they don’t support using a hub in the glovebox because the cpu can’t handle the data load.

So I have a new car that can’t be safely driven if I try to use music in it while driving. I have no ability to leave a usb hub in. I have no other place to plug in data for boombox, gaming, or usb music. I’m told by support that the car can’t handle it. I am denied Sonic and Cuphead.

This is despite the manuals clearly stating that all of this functionality exists and is designed for regular use. That is except for those tens of thousands of us who had the data from the consoles quietly removed months after we ordered the car. This is a deceitful and underhanded alteration.

Now there isn’t even a safe workaround.

Let the lawsuits begin.

Guys, juste a shower thought.
If they plan on releaasing an upgraded computer with Ryzen-grade specs, like ot's better than a PS5 man, Elon style, they CAN'T let the controller compatiblity in its current state. I'm pretty confident aa workaround/fix will come at some point, but when? We don't know. I'm pretty sure we will know more when the Ryzen MCU will hit the market. Be patient.
This would not fix the USB music connectivity though.

Reactions: rbcopod
I’ve got even worse news.

I have a ‘22 MYLR born after 11/1/21 with crippled console USB c ports.

As a work around I put a 4 port usb a hub in the glovebox. I mounted the Tesla usb thumb drive for sentry, a microsd card to port 2 for usb music, and I have a wired controller for use in third port. 4th port empty. I leave the game controller not plugged in. I’m planning to get a wireless dongle to eventually occupy one slot for gaming rather than using a wired controller.

Was three hours from home, just supercharged, and the touch screen went unresponsive. Music started skipping. Then the screen went dark. I was driving at the time. It was night. Headlights stayed on, but directionals no longer functioned externally or internally. Obviously had no idea what speed I was going.

I held down both steering wheel buttons for 20 seconds. Nothing. Pulled over.

Tried both buttons again. Nothing. Tried brake pedal plus both buttons. Nothing. Called support.

While waiting for support, the screen woke up and gave an initializing message. It was dark for over 5 minutes before it recovered.

Support remoted in and said my cpu was going crazy processing and it was likely because i had a usb hub. He said the usb hub in the glovebox can only handle sentry and that’s it. I can take it out for a usb music drive, or for a game controller. He said they don’t support using a hub in the glovebox because the cpu can’t handle the data load.

So I have a new car that can’t be safely driven if I try to use music in it while driving. I have no ability to leave a usb hub in. I have no other place to plug in data for boombox, gaming, or usb music. I’m told by support that the car can’t handle it. I am denied Sonic and Cuphead.

This is despite the manuals clearly stating that all of this functionality exists and is designed for regular use. That is except for those tens of thousands of us who had the data from the consoles quietly removed months after we ordered the car. This is a deceitful and underhanded alteration.

Now there isn’t even a safe workaround.

Let the lawsuits begin.
I am in same spot as you, except with a Model 3. I was not willing to take any sort of risk by using a hub, and your experience finalized that in my mind.

I did buy a micro USB adapter and a 256gb "endurance" micro SD card to support Sentry/Dashcam/music. I partitioned it as 2 separate drives, not sure if that was necessary or not.

I will just unplug the micro SD adapter if/when I want to use a wired controller, which to be honest is only because "it is there and unique". I am not at all a gamer, so it will be more to impress my nephews. Hopefully Tesla will add bluetooth controller support soon, again for the uniqueness of the Tesla experience more than anything. I am older, my 1st car had an 8-track deck!

It is a really petty/minor change that they made with, relative to the dollar cost, pretty significant ramifications for many people. 4 pretty darn useless USB-C ports. Who really needs to charge 4 devices simultaneously anyhow?

This is crazy! I have a $60k car on order that can't play music from USB if i want to use sentry or dash cam? I'm seriously considering canceling or at least putting order on hold when i am contacted.. to see how this eventually shakes out with the Ryzen, since support mentions data overload.

This is crazy! I have a $60k car on order that can't play music from USB if i want to use sentry or dash cam? I'm seriously considering canceling or at least putting order on hold when i am contacted.. to see how this eventually shakes out with the Ryzen, since support mentions data overload.
Who said this? You can most certainly use your sentry drive to play music/boombox sounds, etc.

Who said this? You can most certainly use your sentry drive to play music/boombox sounds, etc.
Sorry. Tesla support explicitly told me that it’s not supported or recommended. If your screen is crashing, cpu overload, stop using your hub.
I suppose the next level of workaround is to partition a drive into three: sentry (TeslaCam), Music, and Boombox. Then unmount to use gaming device.

pretty pathetic.

I am in same spot as you, except with a Model 3. I was not willing to take any sort of risk by using a hub, and your experience finalized that in my mind.

I did buy a micro USB adapter and a 256gb "endurance" micro SD card to support Sentry/Dashcam/music. I partitioned it as 2 separate drives, not sure if that was necessary or not.

So you can confirm that this works for playing usb music while simultaneously using sentry or dash cam? If so, it's an acceptable work around.

I agree though that this is still pretty pathetic. I'm accepting all the current sacrifices and compromises in getting a Tesla, since IMO all other EV's mean MORE compromises. But the others are catching up simply because Tesla is sliding backwards. At his rate, we might not have to wait very long. The competition will be even and then pull ahead sooner than later.

Last edited:
So you can confirm that this works for playing usb music while simultaneously using sentry or dash cam? If so, it's an acceptable work around.

I agree though that this is still pretty pathetic. I'm accepting all the current sacrifices and compromises in getting a Tesla, since IMO all other EV's mean MORE compromises. But the others are catching up simply because Tesla is sliding backwards. At his rate, we might not have to wait very long. The competition will be even and then pull ahead sooner than later.
Yes, this works, and seems to work well. I had done a decent amount of research before going this route. Be aware that I've only had the car for a few weeks, so not a ton of experience yet. But so far it has been 100% perfect.

Reactions: hatch
  • Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Thanks!!

I will order the Atolla right now.

My thought would be to place Atolla hub in glovebox usb a. Attach an endurance Samsung 128Gb micro sd in a usb a connector. Partition micro sd exfat into TeslaCam and MUSIC so only one usb a port is being used. I'll shut off power to the other three. Then for gaming or a wireless dongle, I can always power up the other ports.

Would this be your approach and can you give me any other guidance?

Thanks!!

My thought would be to place Atolla hub in glovebox usb a. Attach an endurance Samsung 128Gb micro sd in a usb a connector. Partition micro sd exfat into TeslaCam and MUSIC so only one usb a port is being used. I'll shut off power to the other three. Then for gaming or a wireless dongle, I can always power up the other ports.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to put in the micro sd adapter with a large card in there for 99% of the time...then when you want to game take it out and plug in the controller (or bluetooth adapter)? Then no need for a hub at all.

Thanks!!

I don't have any experience with partitioning the storage device; I formatted my Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB microSD card in my Model Y. I accepted the default settings.

Generally, when making a configuration change (hardware, software, firmware) it best to introduce one new component or revision at a time. If all looks good after a reasonable time (depending on how patient you are) then apply the next change or upgrade to the configuration. If the system breaks you will immediately know what you did to cause the system to stop functioning.

The glovebox USB port is supposed to be USB 3.0 compliant. You can verify the data bandwidth and power delivery of the USB 3.0 standard. The maximum power available is 900mA at 5V DC for 4.5W.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to put in the micro sd adapter with a large card in there for 99% of the time...then when you want to game take it out and plug in the controller (or bluetooth adapter)? Then no need for a hub at all.
Perhaps. I'm looking for a way to not have to open and swap stuff in and out. As a driver reaching over to remove and replace usb is a little too Cirque du Soleil for me
Plus the lighting is limited at night. If I use this hub with the power switches, there is no swapping out, and using a wireless dongle could keep the glovebox closed (except for perhaps switching the ports power on when needed -- easier than the drive swap).

Perhaps. I'm looking for a way to not have to open and swap stuff in and out. As a driver reaching over to remove and replace usb is a little too Cirque du Soleil for me
Plus the lighting is limited at night. If I use this hub with the power switches, there is no swapping out, and using a wireless dongle could keep the glovebox closed (except for perhaps switching the ports power on when needed -- easier than the drive swap).
The switches in the Atolla USB hub have tiny blue lights when switched on.