Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYP 90% Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my 2022 MYP. I am not complaining, just trying to understand the range calc. With my first home charge to 90% the estimated range is 268. With an EPA range of 303, 90% would be 272.7. Just wondering if anyone knows how the calc is done for remaining range as I am I interested in just understanding.

Thank you

Dale

• Disagree
Reactions: AJ.. and mark95476
@dmurphy48 the range varies based on a multitude of conditions. In winter you will see lower range than EPA rating. In my MYLR I can achieve the rating if I drive and use the car in the same conditions as the EPA testing. Just like on ICE cars you don’t actually get the EPA MPG rating.

Just picked up my 2022 MYP. I am not complaining, just trying to understand the range calc. With my first home charge to 90% the estimated range is 268. With an EPA range of 303, 90% would be 272.7. Just wondering if anyone knows how the calc is done for remaining range as I am I interested in just understanding.

Thank you

Dale

Hey dude! I understand your situation.
First thing, it's the wintertime, and you're in Colorado. The Tesla will have a lower range estimate due to the colder climate; it's why the recent addition of the heat pump, which the Model Y introduced is so crucial to counter mother nature.
However, you also need to counter how heavy you press on the pedals, as that can affect your total driving range. EPA estimates are done through average driving on average roads on average conditions. For the most range, I do recommend using autopilot for max efficiency.

Edit: Keep in mind, internals such as headlights, interior lights, AC controls, etc. ALLLLLLL affect your range estimates.

Geez. Thanks for the welcome to the group. I care. Don't be that guy that has nothing better to do but dump on other posts.

The reason you might see that response, is because some version of this question is posted here on TMC at least 1-2 times a day, every day, and has been for at least the last 3 years I have been here. Doesnt make it "right" but if you realize that members here have seen some version of this exact question maybe 200 or more times, it might explain the reaction.

In the model 3 subforum I moderate, I take all those posts and put them in a single thread, so people can search it for answers (and so that the question doesnt overwhelm the subforum). That thread is here:

its 179 pages (not posts, pages), on some variation of your question.

now, I dont think you should (nor expect you to) read that entire thread. You can search it if you desire, and deep dive into the topic. For a VERY " TL ; DR" (too long, didnt read) version.

The car uses an estimate, its not like gas, and a battery is not quite as simple to measure as a fuel tank
The range is based on EPA estimates, and unless one drives like that (like 42 MPH or something on flat land) should be taken as "best case if I drive 42 MPH).

There is a thread I can dig up on the actual algorithms that people have deduced over time, if that is something you are interested in (the EPA algorithms) but to answer the "unasked" general question that comes up around this post, what you are seeing is perfectly 100% normal.

This thread below is on "charge data" and is a more technical one than the one above so those two should get you started. I know this is the model Y subforum but model 3 and Y have the same battery, so 100% of this is applicable.

To see the estimated range of your 2022 Performance Model Y when charged to 100% you can use the Tesla app. While the Tesla vehicle is charging, slide the charging limit slider control all the way to the right, the range at 100% will be briefly displayed. (Don't forget to set the charging limit back where you want it.) For daily driving you can set the charging limit between 50% and 90%.

Many Tesla owners prefer to switch from displaying the estimated range to displaying the battery state of charge (SOC) as the SOC is a more accurate measure than the estimated range. The range estimate that is displayed next to the battery status icon is based solely on the data that Tesla submitted to the EPA for the 2022 Performance Model Y and the Tesla vehicle's determination of the state of charge (SOC) of the battery pack. The displayed range estimate is not based on your driving habits or driving history and does not take into consideration vehicle speed, wind, road conditions or use of climate control. When you enter a destination into the Tesla Navigation system the Tesla vehicle will include posted speed limits and elevation changes along the route for charging stops along the route and estimated remaining SOC at the route destination.

Other considerations, when the Tesla vehicle is new the Tesla vehicle's battery management system has very little data available to determine the SOC of the battery. You can improve this measurement somewhat by periodically charging to above ~94%, then driving until the battery SOC is low, i.e. below ~30%. Another thing you can do to improve the accuracy of the battery algorithms is to park with Sentry mode and Summon (if equipped with Full Self Driving) turned off at your home location. These features, if left enabled, prevent the Tesla Model Y from entering a sleep state where the high voltage battery is disconnected from the Tesla vehicle. The battery management system can only measure the open cell voltage (OCV) of the cells within the battery when the battery is disconnected. Periodic OCV measurements improve the algorithms used to determine the state of the battery.

Here is a recent article re the EPA range and efficiency ratings for the 2022 Tesla Model Y.

2022 Tesla Model Y Receives Official EPA Range/Efficiency Ratings

The 2022 Performance Model Y has an EPA efficiency rating of 115 mile per gallon equivalent (MPGe) City and 106 MPGe highway, 111 MPGe Combined. The EPA range estimate of 303 miles is based on the Combined 111 MPGe. Because of the way that Tesla conducts its battery run down tests to generate the data that Tesla submits to the EPA the Tesla 2022 Performance Model Y MPGe results can only be relevantly compared with the MPGe values of other Tesla vehicles.

Last edited:
Yea, it's kind of all over the place. I have a friend who delivery on the same day as me(MYP) and his showed 250 miles at 90% while mine shows 273miles. We are both in Los Angeles, and I don't think it's the weather issue.
Regardless, he is going to talk to a service to see if there's something wrong with his car.
My MYLR show 1 more mile than it "should" on paper.
I wouldn't stress too much about few miles, and as others mentioned, your location might come into factor.
But as for my friend, I'm not too sure, he's very upset haha

Thank you

Dale
First of all, welcome and sorry you got a bristly intro to this forum. I lived in Colorado for 20 years and also owned a Tesla there so I can attest to the cold weather performance.

I now have a 2021 Model Y I took delivery of in August. As of this moment, my car has 5851 miles on the odometer. My range is a little lower than when I first took delivery, but its really similar. In the app/on the energy screen, it states my 90% charge is 261 miles and my 100% charge is 290 miles. I take issue with those numbers as I KNOW my car will not go that far on a charge the way I drive it and the way I use it. I am a heavy user of Autopilot, and I have been on several middle range road trips (Houston, about 200 miles, Starbase which is 390 miles, and back and forth to San Antonio which is about 100 miles). I will tell you, as I am sure you would know by searching, the efficiency of these cars and the ACTUAL RANGE is highly dependent on all kinds of things. But, the things I have found make the most difference are as follows:
- Tire pressure - I keep mine around 41 cold, heats up to maybe 43 warm
- Cruising speed - 70 on the highway takes a lot less kWh than 80. seriously, like 10-15%
- Load in the car - everyone hauls extra crap around in their car. I generally pack and travel light, but Ive found this to make a difference.
- Outside temperature - here in Austin we get to freezing occasionally, but not often so its not a big deal.
So anyway, dont take your estimated range too seriously, and switch it to % as opposed to miles. Miles is useless in my current car, and my previous car. The summary of my mileage over the 5851 miles, by the way is 302 kWh.
I look at it a little like fuel consumption in an ICE car - its just a results of a set of testing that someone did who is probably not in the same situation as you are. So, take it with a grain.

By the way, there are LOTS of pundits out there who will tell you how to maintain the battery to keep up your range. Personally, I never charge above 80% unless I know Im going on a roadtrip, I personally dont plug in every day (generally below 30% I plug in) and I use a lower charging rate than my charger can put out. I have the wall connector and it's capable of 48A, but I charge at 30A. This takes longer, but it reduces the amount of heat going into the battery. I also dont leave the car charged if I know Im not going to drive it.

So, anyway my 2c FWIW -
Cheers and welcome.
J

Reactions: Hamrhead

Thank you

Dale
I also have a 2022 MYP but at 90% my range shows as 259. I haven’t yet asked Tesla but will on my next service visit. Not sure if this is a problem however I’d prefer to see the full epa range of 303.