Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla reduce the MYP EPA range again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the 2024 was updated to 279. All 2024 MYP cars were held in limbo until this was competed just last month. It was a painful wait.
So I assume all these "adjustments" apply to my 2022?

My lifetime wh/mi is 276 after 17,xxx miles and that includes 5 long road trips.

So 285/279 seems more realistic vs the 303 it started with. I calculate if I did one of those 100-0% highway tests you see on YouTube I'd probably net 240 miles. Which seems legitimate for 100% highway speeds. But I NEVER believed 303 was achievable at constant highway speeds after owning three Volts for 8+ years. Sadly some do.

What??? Tesla overstating the range? Really? I refuse to believe it! I'm covering my ears. Nananananana!
But seriously...300 miles is certainly achievable. All you need to do is plot a route that's all downhill, and the speed limit never goes above 40. If the wind is at your back, and the temperature is exactly 56 degrees, it's no problem.

No, they do not.
Is there more to this answer? Officially and within the car guess-o-meter they don’t. But surely the batteries didn’t shrink (or did they?) nor did the drivetrain become more inefficient, so what should a 2022 MYP owner make of this 2024 MYP EPA range delta?

Asked another way: If you had a choice between a brand new 2024 MYP vs brand new 2022 MYP and the decision is purely based on “range” (perceived or EPA rated), how would you decide?

The answer is very simple, actually. For years the government relied on manufacturers own tests for official, publicly endorsed range. Most of the manufacturers under-report their range, just slightly, so as not to disappoint customers. Tesla, on the other hand used every loop hole they could to exaggerate their range as much as they could, mostly to get over that magic 300 mile mark. The government allowed mathematical calculations, instead of actual testing, as well, which led to more shenanigans by Tesla.

Now, with the government doing actual tests on range, standardizing the parameters, and facing countless class-action lawsuits over its excessive range claims, Tesla has been forced to get far closer to the actual range of their cars in their claims. It will actually hurt their cases already claimed, of course, but those cases will all get settled out of court, quietly, as they always do.

For all these years Tesla has claimed far greater efficiency is what led to such range claims from battery packs that seemed too small for the stated range. The truth is somewhat different than Tesla's claims...unbelievable, I know .

I know I'll get spitroasted on here about this stance, as I have been before. But it's an unpopular truth. Just do even a modicum of research on the way Tesla calculated their range in years past...the key word being 'calculated, and the truth becomes obvious. Read up on the myriad of lawsuits Tesla faces over false range claims, and you'll see another hard reality they face.

The fact is, Tesla is in a bit of trouble. Sales are way down, whether it's better competition, or a general hatred of Elon Musk himself. They only new model they've developed in the last 5 years is the ultra expensive, and highly polarizing Cybertruck... which was ALWAYS destined to be a niche product anyway. Now, reports are they've scrapped plans for the car they really need, the Model 2, in favor of going all in on another folly, the Robotaxi. The more Musk posts and says, the more he alienates the very demographic that props Tesla up. The future of Tesla may be in energy storage and the charging network...not in actual car production.

Last edited:
Is there more to this answer?

But surely the batteries didn’t shrink (or did they?)
Worst-case latching mode per EPA guidance is probably worse than how Tesla tested the car before. I actually have't gone through and come up with a reasonable hypothesis for exactly why this guidance reduced Tesla's numbers. But somehow they had to configure the car in a less efficient mode for the testing results. Resulting in lower numbers.

In addition for reasons I don't understand capacity on 2024 vehicles in the test ended up lower than on prior year tests (around 79kWh rather than around 81-82kWh). At some point someone may figure out why if they don't already know.

Now, with the government doing actual tests on range,
The government has always done spot check tests. They continue to do so. Manufacturers continue to to the vast majority of the testing, of course.

Tesla has always just taken full advantage of the rules available to them and made their range look as good as possible within the law. It's not their fault that EPA has stupid rules for the range number.

If Tesla had broken the rules...well, we'd know about that - it would be like Volkswagen. There are rather high penalties for actually fabricating results.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
But it's an unpopular truth.
You shouldn't post falsehoods.
Most of the manufacturers under-report their range, just slightly
Significantly, not slightly.
The government allowed mathematical calculations, instead of actual testing, as well, which led to more shenanigans by Tesla.
Just do even a modicum of research on the way Tesla calculated their range in years past...the key word being 'calculated, and the truth becomes obvious.
You are getting this information incorrect and backward here.

Tesla was the only company reporting the actual results of the full test exactly as performed. It was the other companies using calculated values that were created and artificially reduced. Yes, of course that's pleasing to the customer to feel like they're getting a big bonus. But it's also not very accurate. It's like if they were reporting 15 ounces for a bottle that's actually 20 ounces, while Tesla reports 20.5 ounces. Tesla is more accurate but is getting crucified by being over instead of under.

I understand your negative opinions of Tesla on this, but you do need to stick to the truth.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Both current and previous results were accurate. The actual range hasn't changed.

How can both statements be true? The EPA changed the measurement rules. Neither version does a true highway speed test, but the new testing regime is 'harder' than before. For instance, the car is driven with performance settings as well as economic settings and the results are averaged. (This is my understanding). That change resulted in more than lower numbers on a new test, it changed available options in the car. For instance (I've heard) new cars cannot change the level of regen anymore. If you can turn regen off, that gets set into part of the testing and results in lower range numbers. So Tesla eliminated the option to reduce regen.

All in all, we just need the old style city/highway numbers, and they should be based on something real world, like driving 75mph on the highway.

Best to just use numbers from Out Of Spec reviews, like their 100% challenge or their 10% challenge (at 10% charge level, charge up for 15 minutes and then see how far you can go, which represents something of a gas station experience.