Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I order the data by manufacture date, it's going to be interesting, it happened somewhere around 04/25 minus 0 to 2 days (I'm not sure as I don't get enough data around that time).

MFG DateheadlightModel
4/15NewLR
4/17NewLR
4/17NewLR
4/18NewLR
4/18NewLR
4/18NewLR
4/18NewLR
4/19NewLR
4/19NewLR
4/19NewPerf
4/19NewPerf
4/19NewPerf
4/20NewLR
4/21NewLR
4/21NewLR
4/22NewLR
4/22NewLR
4/22NewLR
4/22NewLR
4/23NewLR
4/25OldLR
4/26OldLR
4/27OldLR
4/28OldLR
4/29OldLR
4/29OldLR
4/29OldLR
4/30OldLR
4/30OldLR
@bugnotfound first thank you for doing this detailed work, it is greatly appreciated. As i mentioned earlier, I researched the heck out of the upgraded matrix lights prior to placing my order, and in addition my brother has a M3 with the old lights, so was able to see the difference in real life, which to me is worth it due to my degraded night vision.

I ended up reaching out to my service center. I will say, the response I got was very prompt and detailed, which was greatly appreciated. We exchanged emails and then later talked via phone. At first they stated that all M3s came with matrix, but then after I forwarded this thread and your great spreadsheet, they went out and checked their lot, and verified that M3’s in their lot about to be delivered also were with the old non-matrix lights, and said it looked like they had been delivering them for a little while not realizing themselves of the change, only alerted by my email/this forum. They said they had gotten no alert to the change, and did not have any info on how long and which models were affected, just that the newest shipment being delivered had the old style.

I asked about whether they would be similar to the Y and come only in the performance, as i would upgrade if that was the case, and they did not have that info as of right now. They also stated that in their opinion it would not be worth it to delay or stop delivery based upon the lights alone, as they dont see enough of a difference at this time. After my prior research and viewing it in real life with my brothers old style headlight, I personally disagree, but I guess everyone Is going to have to make their decisions about that. Even if there isnt a big enough difference now for some, if they ever upgrade the software tech to what matrix is truely cabable of, which they now can do after the US laws recently changed, it would be an incredible difference. I guess the frustration is similar to other features which have been changed/removed, in that in Teslas mind they will still sell them, so will just move on to the next person, but it definitely leaves a sour taste in the mouth, as I placed the order with that specific feature at the top of my list. I guess for others maybe it isnt as high of a priority, and then kudos to you and your incredible night vision! ;-). Just wait till you get older . . . ;-)

I've had 10 minutes to process the fact that my car isn't going to have the Matrix headlights now (born 4/23 vin 23970x) and here's where I stand.

It sucks. But it's headlights. I've never cared a great deal about headlights to begin with. @XAEA-12 I can understand your position if you have vision issues, but for me..... I wish I had them, but not at all willing to wait potentially 2 more months for them. It looks like based on OP's research, there was a short window between 4/23-4/25 where they didn't include the Matrix lights, but now they're back. That's if I'm reading between the lines correctly. The weird part was that he said all of the cars without Matrix headlights DID have their chargeports. Mine must be the super-unlucky unicorn. SA is telling me it doesn't have the chargeport or the matrix headlights. Oh well. I'm still going to love the car & can't wait until they get things sorted out so I can go pick it up!

I am a headlamps guy. Will likely reject ours if it doesnt come with matrix headlamps. We don’t know if it’s shortage issue or a permanent change right? If it’s a permanent change I would be bumped. Fingers crossed ours will have them.

Reactions: Not That M3
@bugnotfound first thank you for doing this detailed work, it is greatly appreciated. As i mentioned earlier, I researched the heck out of the upgraded matrix lights prior to placing my order, and in addition my brother has a M3 with the old lights, so was able to see the difference in real life, which to me is worth it due to my degraded night vision.

I ended up reaching out to my service center. I will say, the response I got was very prompt and detailed, which was greatly appreciated. We exchanged emails and then later talked via phone. At first they stated that all M3s came with matrix, but then after I forwarded this thread and your great spreadsheet, they went out and checked their lot, and verified that M3’s in their lot about to be delivered also were with the old non-matrix lights, and said it looked like they had been delivering them for a little while not realizing themselves of the change, only alerted by my email/this forum. They said they had gotten no alert to the change, and did not have any info on how long and which models were affected, just that the newest shipment being delivered had the old style.

I asked about whether they would be similar to the Y and come only in the performance, as i would upgrade if that was the case, and they did not have that info as of right now. They also stated that in their opinion it would not be worth it to delay or stop delivery based upon the lights alone, as they dont see enough of a difference at this time. After my prior research and viewing it in real life with my brothers old style headlight, I personally disagree, but I guess everyone Is going to have to make their decisions about that. Even if there isnt a big enough difference now for some, if they ever upgrade the software tech to what matrix is truely cabable of, which they now can do after the US laws recently changed, it would be an incredible difference. I guess the frustration is similar to other features which have been changed/removed, in that in Teslas mind they will still sell them, so will just move on to the next person, but it definitely leaves a sour taste in the mouth, as I placed the order with that specific feature at the top of my list. I guess for others maybe it isnt as high of a priority, and then kudos to you and your incredible night vision! ;-). Just wait till you get older . . . ;-)

Yeah this stuff is personal, for sure. Everyone has to make their own decision on what is right for them.

====================================================

(moderator note)

One thing I am not going to tolerate, is people here belittling another member because of their choice, whichever it is. The reason I mention this, is not because of the person I am quoting above (far from it). I mention it because a lot of that went on during the "ryzen chip" transition, as people wanted to wait, or not wait, for that.

I personally think things like this are personal, and the choice (buy, wait, cancel order) is a personal one. I wont tolerate anyone being belittled etc because of whatever choice they make on this, and would appreciate it very much if anyone sees something like that, if they would use the report function and let us know.

Now, of course I / We will allow discussion, back and forth, and a difference of opinion. Those are the root of most interesting conversations. I am just not going to allow anything that looks like personal attacks, belittlement, etc. Its one of those "know it when you see it" type things.

(end moderator note)
===================================================

With that out of the way, my own personal (non moderator, not representing TMC, TMC moderators or anyone but jjrandorin the regular poster) opinion is, I have a model 3 with the older lights, and am underwhelmed by the headlights In relation to the previous BMWs I had, where I always bought the lighting package, and coded the advanced features / functions (BMW people will know what I am saying).

My wifes model Y performance has the matrix lights and they are better, but frankly still a bit underwhelming to me (again, in comparison to the X3 M40i with every option that the model Y replaced).

Even with the above, I dont think I would have delayed taking delivery of the vehicle to get one set of lights over the other. I am happy enough with the overall package of the vehicle that I would just have been annoyed, but taken delivery anyway.

Now, thats my own opinion, and as I repeatedly stated, everyone has to make their own choices. Feel free to discuss, sleuth debate, etc, as long as it stays respectful and no one gets put down because of whatever choice they make for themselves, I am all for it.

Hopefully you all can debate and help each other on the information part of this, like you have been doing.

Interesting that you bring up BMW. There's always a disparity between BMW base LED's and the adaptive (now laser headlights in upper trims). When I originally ordered my 2018 M2 I decided to save a few dollars and not to get the adaptive headlights. Weeks later I did some research on just how much better the adaptive LED headlights were with some comparison threads at Bimmerpost where they performed much better, not to mention they looked a little nicer and more modern as well. I ended up changing my order to get the adaptive headlights and so glad I did as I would have regretted it every day I owned the car as they were fantastic headlights and the ones on my X3M are also excellent.

Reactions: E90alex
Interesting that you bring up BMW. There's always a disparity between BMW base LED's and the adaptive (now laser headlights in upper trims). When I originally ordered my 2018 M2 I decided to save a few dollars and not to get the adaptive headlights. Weeks later I did some research on just how much better the adaptive LED headlights were with some comparison threads at Bimmerpost where they performed much better, not to mention they looked a little nicer and more modern as well. I ended up changing my order to get the adaptive headlights and so glad I did as I would have regretted it every day I owned the car as they were fantastic headlights and the ones on my X3M are also excellent.

I had BMWs adaptive headlights on every BMW my wife and I have had for the past 12 years (4 lease cycles). I didnt start coding them to do the european tunneling etc that became a thing, I think that was my 2016 335 and 2019 435, and my wifes 2016 X5D and 2019 X3 M40i.

I've had 10 minutes to process the fact that my car isn't going to have the Matrix headlights now (born 4/23 vin 23970x) and here's where I stand.

It sucks. But it's headlights. I've never cared a great deal about headlights to begin with. @XAEA-12 I can understand your position if you have vision issues, but for me..... I wish I had them, but not at all willing to wait potentially 2 more months for them. It looks like based on OP's research, there was a short window between 4/23-4/25 where they didn't include the Matrix lights, but now they're back. That's if I'm reading between the lines correctly. The weird part was that he said all of the cars without Matrix headlights DID have their chargeports. Mine must be the super-unlucky unicorn. SA is telling me it doesn't have the chargeport or the matrix headlights. Oh well. I'm still going to love the car & can't wait until they get things sorted out so I can go pick it up!
I don’t think there’s any evidence they’re back yet. The latest ones out of the factory are likely still on transport trucks. We’ll have to monitor over the next few weeks and months unless Tesla comes out with an official statement.

Just wanted to point out for what it’s worth, that other users here have successfully been able to unofficially retrofit the matrix headlights onto their cars. (New headlights retrofit)

The lights are plug and play, but it requires convincing someone at Tesla to modify the software config of the car before the lights will work.

This leads me to believe that it’s possible that Tesla could offer an official retrofit in the future, for people stuck in this situation. I assume they would charge for it, of course.

Hi guys,

Man these VIN's and manufacture dates confuse the heck out of me. Kudos to those who understand it. Like a few others have mentioned above, I'm really really curious if the 2022 Model 3 Performance cars will all have matrix headlights moving forward. I'm still waiting for that magical elusive VIN number. My latest EDD is June 5 - July 10. Placed order March 30.

I bet parts alone will be 2k+, plus labour. Not sure if I wanna shell out that much money for a brand new car.
Especially for something that was previously included for no extra charge.

Plus a retrofit depends on finding someone willing to enable the changes in the car configuration.

Not sure if that’s something against Tesla employee policy to do and/or something they could easily revert with an OTA update and you’re suddenly left with nonfunctional headlights.

Unfortunately since matrix LED was never a documented or advertised feature I don’t think we have any leg to stand on for this 😒
The advertised feature/data is the order webpage that shows all the Model 3 trims having matrix headlights. If you go on the Model Y order page there is a clear distinction in MYLR headlights vs the MYP headlights. On the M3 order, all the trims are the same matrix lights.

The visual is truth. Are we all of a sudden expected to get different rim styles also or a different color than what the webpage shows for our ordered vehicles.

Hoping this was a stopgap measure for production.

Reactions: Gor88
The visual is truth. Are we all of a sudden expected to get different rim styles also or a different color than what the webpage shows for our ordered vehicles.
This isn’t the first time they’ve done this.

The Model S currently ships with new taillights, and the design is slightly different, where the black bar doesn’t extend into the taillights anymore. However, the pictures on the website are still of the old design.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure if Tesla is legally accountable by just pictures alone.

What comes to mind for me is back in 2020 when they stopped including auto-dimming side mirrors for about 6 months. At that time, they removed all wording referring to it on the website. I'm not sure if people received cars without them when it was still mentioned on the website at time of order, and whether Tesla did anything about it, if any.

Matrix headlights have never been specifically mentioned on the website, so they're probably getting away with it on a technicality, unfortunately.
That's what I was wondering too. Did the website ever promise matrix headlights? I know when I ordered my 2021 SR+ (delivered end of 2020) there was no mention, it was just an unadvertised bonus.

Also although a recent law may have been passed, AFAIK Tesla have not made use of the matrix part yet (still using it like a conventional headlight).

Anyways, I agree with others not to bank on there being a retrofit option or some compensation. If this is a deal breaker, probably delaying delivery is your best bet (presuming this is a temporary supply issue, not permanent).

I bet parts alone will be 2k+, plus labour. Not sure if I wanna shell out that much money for a brand new car.

I think I remember seeing someone say headlights were close to 1k each when looking at body work estimates, so your probably right on that. I stand by my earlier recommendation that no one should expect tesla to offer any sort of retrofit or anything, even if its something they "could" do. that would be pretty out of character for them in this stuff, so no one should expect it to be available.

The advertised feature/data is the order webpage that shows all the Model 3 trims having matrix headlights. If you go on the Model Y order page there is a clear distinction in MYLR headlights vs the MYP headlights. On the M3 order, all the trims are the same matrix lights.

Hoping this was a stopgap measure for production.

Unless you see it in print somewhere, that would be "waved off", as "that is a representation. I would not depend on saying "but the picture looked like" getting you anywhere.

Honestly I just want my M3P at this point, I don't even care about the headlights. I was told there is a 1-2 week "weather delay" (car was supposed to be here this Friday) which sounds sketchy... My guess is it either had damage on delivery or it's missing parts and my SA is not being very forthcoming. I mean I guess if they decided that to avoid "the weather" for two weeks they could have driven it north through Canada.. Or perhaps south to Mexico and then by boat to New England.... I was supposed to get the car in March... So...

• Disagree
Reactions: Rodney!
As of 21/22, all model 3’s started coming with the matrix headlights. As of right now, only the performance Y has em, the LR doesn’t. This has become a topic since all the model 3’s have switched over to matrix for over a year now but for some reason deliveries as of a week ago have reverted back to the original LED’s.
But all model 3s do NOT come with matrix headlights. I’ve seen it with my own eyes at the dealership…today.