Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had 10 minutes to process the fact that my car isn't going to have the Matrix headlights now (born 4/23 vin 23970x) and here's where I stand.

It sucks. But it's headlights. I've never cared a great deal about headlights to begin with. @XAEA-12 I can understand your position if you have vision issues, but for me..... I wish I had them, but not at all willing to wait potentially 2 more months for them. It looks like based on OP's research, there was a short window between 4/23-4/25 where they didn't include the Matrix lights, but now they're back. That's if I'm reading between the lines correctly. The weird part was that he said all of the cars without Matrix headlights DID have their chargeports. Mine must be the super-unlucky unicorn. SA is telling me it doesn't have the chargeport or the matrix headlights. Oh well. I'm still going to love the car & can't wait until they get things sorted out so I can go pick it up!
Hey brother, just wanna ask how do we know for sure that they’re back. I know u said it was a short window, but has there been a change since then indicating the mateix’s are back? Thank you!

Hi guys,

Man these VIN's and manufacture dates confuse the heck out of me. Kudos to those who understand it. Like a few others have mentioned above, I'm really really curious if the 2022 Model 3 Performance cars will all have matrix headlights moving forward. I'm still waiting for that magical elusive VIN number. My latest EDD is June 5 - July 10. Placed order March 30.
They all won’t. I saw a new one today at the sales center being delivered. It had the old headlights, no doubt about it.

VIN 233XXX
LOOKS LIKE MINE CAME WITH THE MATRIX HEADLIGHTS

Attachments

• 72AB1D0A-A849-4C0D-98DE-4FFA4E146013.jpeg
    72AB1D0A-A849-4C0D-98DE-4FFA4E146013.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 386
Ironically, the matrix headlights are one of the key reasons I ordered a 2022 LR M3 to replace my 2019 LR.

I made a pro/con list to determine if there were enough new features to justify the change (and offset losses like radar, passenger seat lumbar, center dash speaker, homelink extra cost, etc). It was barely in the yes column with the headlights.

This bait-and-switch news has been a total buzzkill. I sure hope things improve before my EDD window starts in 3 weeks.

Reactions: E90alex
Just checked out my local service center. Two Performance models with build date of 4/25 and 4/26 DO have the matrix lights, so it seems like the Performance is not affected so far.

For non-Performance models the cutoff seems to be after 4/23. All the cars up to and including 4/23 had the matrix lights. Everything after had the old lights.

Will have to check again in a week or two and see if there’s any changes on even newer builds.

Attachments

• B2F48D3A-9E0F-4D5C-8CE9-3278AC8ED362.jpeg
    B2F48D3A-9E0F-4D5C-8CE9-3278AC8ED362.jpeg
    665.6 KB · Views: 283
  • 0DDE59AE-033B-4DCC-A894-6021876120C1.jpeg
    0DDE59AE-033B-4DCC-A894-6021876120C1.jpeg
    589.2 KB · Views: 207
  • A340058A-B63B-4198-A45B-CD7CC2EF2A1D.jpeg
    A340058A-B63B-4198-A45B-CD7CC2EF2A1D.jpeg
    786.3 KB · Views: 207
  • D4E1B1E6-C501-4842-85ED-CD16DB709F96.jpeg
    D4E1B1E6-C501-4842-85ED-CD16DB709F96.jpeg
    712.1 KB · Views: 278
Just checked out my local service center. Two Performance models with build date of 4/25 and 4/26 DO have the matrix lights, so it seems like the Performance is not affected so far.

For non-Performance models the cutoff seems to be after 4/23. All the cars up to and including 4/23 had the matrix lights. Everything after had the old lights.

Will have to check again in a week or two and see if there’s any changes on even newer builds.
Thanks! Very helpful! This is from Renton right? My VIN is right in the 240xxx cut-off range, so I'm really curious to see if I get it. Anyway that's one of the main reasons that I purchased this 2nd Model 3.

Reactions: E90alex
Thanks! Very helpful! This is from Renton right? My VIN is right in the 240xxx cut-off range, so I'm really curious to see if I get it. Anyway that's one of the main reasons that I purchased this 2nd Model 3.
Yup from the Renton SC.

The VIN# seems weirdly not chronological? Looking at the two Performance models I took a picture of, the one with the earlier production date had a higher VIN than the later one. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Probably best to go by build date but it also seems they phased in the change. And reports of 3 Performance getting delivered without matrix too somewhere else. It’s like anything goes at this point and they’re just scrounging up whatever leftover parts they have and pushing cars out the door. 🥲

Reactions: Gulfcoaster
Yup from the Renton SC.

The VIN# seems weirdly not chronological? Looking at the two Performance models I took a picture of, the one with the earlier production date had a higher VIN than the later one. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Probably best to go by build date but it also seems they phased in the change. And reports of 3 Performance getting delivered without matrix too somewhere else. It’s like anything goes at this point and they’re just scrounging up whatever leftover parts they have and pushing cars out the door. 🥲
yeah my data supports the same, going by manufacture date is more reliable than VIN cause the change at production line is done at some point of time instead of VIN-based. Of course when there's multiple production lines, the change may or may not happen at the same time, so it'll have mixes during certain time window.

So, the matrix headlights have the round reflector lens on the outside corner, right? And the non matrix do not?
Yes, the matrix lights have a projector lens instead of more chrome reflector bowls.

The overall appearance is also darker because the decorative elements went from bright reflective chrome/silver to a dark matte gray.

Attachments

• 0F116A34-9C01-48A0-B649-C3A228826783.jpeg
    0F116A34-9C01-48A0-B649-C3A228826783.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 756
There's a YT video showing the headlight might not be interchangeable.
After watching that video, I'm glad I'm not getting the new lights. I'm not a fan of projector headlights. I have them on my 2014 Durango and don't like how the projector itself looks after a few years. It gets some type of grime in front or behind it and almost makes it look like it has cataracts. Plus the throw pattern looks misshapen sometimes. Thanks to Bugnotfound's list, my VIN 2460xx has the reflector type.

Last edited: