Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any other data points besides the table on page 2? I have vin 239xxx but don’t know manufacture date. Definitely a weird and frustrating experience worrying about which headlights I’m getting
I posted some a few pages back. Everything 4/23 and older had new matrix lights. 4/25 and later had old reflector lights. That’s as of Monday. VIN range is not really helpful since some newer builds have older VIN range and vice versa.

The latest batches of cars are still likely en route to service centers so I’ll have to check back in a week or two if they have reverted back or not.

Reactions: Not That M3
Oh great, we found a fan boy who desperately tries to justify these over priced cars...🙄 So when I said half the price I was talking about the features Tesla has in basic auto pilot. And yes, my 2021 sonata limited can do it all even down to the blind spot view monitor (when you hit the blinker it shows you a video of blind spot). It was $32k. Also has homelink. My Buick can park itself and also has all of the safety suite with the exception of the blind spot view monitor.

My c40 is better than the tesla in everyway except range but we know teslas don't get anywhere near the advertised range and my c40 has actually been better than advertised so we'll call that a wash...it's very close. It has a driver display cluster and was eligible for the federal tax credit. Also came with charging cable with a nema 14-50 adapter and it has the matrix headlights. Oh and it's faster 0-60 than the car it competes with, the model Y lr and it's cheaper, by a lot!

Supercharger network...pshhh...who cares. That's not practical for everyday use and they do that even offer it for free to new buyers. I got 3 years free of electrify america with my c40 and charge point has free DC fast charging at most of their sites. But yea, keep getting bent over by tesla...let them keep removing hardware and software features while steadily raising the price...their reign at the top is over. Maybe 5 years ago when they were the only game in town they could treat people like this but not now...there's competition now. As a matter of fact, since you're such a huge fan, why don't you take this one off my hands when I take delivery. I'm planning on flipping it anyway so it's up for grabs. It's overpriced and you know it, stop trying to justify it...and that's all I have to say about that. Not going back and forth with you.
It's like you don't even know the specifications of the car you bought. Again I am comparing a Model 3 Performance which is roughly the same price as your C40 (before tax credit). The C40 is not even close to a Model 3 Performance. It's bigger, heavier, sits higher, and much slower 0-60, 1/4 mile and will perform worse than any measurable performance metric than a Model 3 Performance. And it has worse range. I would never think of doing a track day in a C40, and I have several track days already planned for my M3P. Let's be honest aside from them both being EV, they are targeting different buyers. The Model 3 Performance is going after the sport sedan segment dominated by BMW M 3/M4/i4 50, Audio RS3, Audi eTron, etc. The C40 would never have been on my radar, it's more of a Mach E Model Y competitor. You realize your posting in the Model 3 subforum?

Of course a cheaper car like a Camry, Sonata, Accord offering a lot of features for $30-40K. Because they are not in the same segment as a Model 3 Performance. First they are not EV, which is where the vast majority of the cost is. Second they are not performance sedans. It's just a silly comparison, I can also tell you that a $22K Hyundai Elantra has all the features of your Sonata for way less money and you were silly to overpay.

Why are you even posting here? I mean maybe comparing your C40 to a Model Y LR would be a more fair discussion.

It's like you don't even know the specifications of the car you bought. Again I am comparing a Model 3 Performance which is roughly the same price as your C40 (before tax credit). The C40 is not even close to a Model 3 Performance. It's bigger, heavier, sits higher, and much slower 0-60, 1/4 mile and will perform worse than any measurable performance metric than a Model 3 Performance. And it has worse range. I would never think of doing a track day in a C40, and I have several track days already planned for my M3P. Let's be honest aside from them both being EV, they are targeting different buyers. The Model 3 Performance is going after the sport sedan segment dominated by BMW M 3/M4/i4 50, Audio RS3, Audi eTron, etc. The C40 would never have been on my radar, it's more of a Mach E Model Y competitor. You realize your posting in the Model 3 subforum?

Of course a cheaper car like a Camry, Sonata, Accord offering a lot of features for $30-40K. Because they are not in the same segment as a Model 3 Performance. First they are not EV, which is where the vast majority of the cost is. Second they are not performance sedans. It's just a silly comparison, I can also tell you that a $22K Hyundai Elantra has all the features of your Sonata for way less money and you were silly to overpay.

Why are you even posting here? I mean maybe comparing your C40 to a Model Y LR would be a more fair discussion.

[posting in agreeance]

The Volvo XC40 should be compared to the Model Y. Not even his C40 example. The car hasn't been out that long to see price hikes. I don't follow that model, but it looks like the price has already been raised in Europe (see link provided below). Ford has raised the prices on their Mach-E already. It's a supply chain issue. Prices have risen on those cars because of lithium and other materials that aren't used in ICE cars. The argument simply irrelevant.

Comparing the Camry, Sonata, and Accord is a fool's argument as well. You can easily these models come with more features than a BMW or Porsche at a far lower price point. Cool story, stick with those cars. Those cars don't offer the same driving dynamics, performance, etc.. Completely different platforms and target demographics. It's one thing to voice your displeasure, it's another to make completely asinine arguments.

Again, if you are that unhappy with what you will be paying for, don't pay for it. Who in their right mind would say this is my first and last Tesla before even owning one? Would you go to a wine tasting, completely hate the tastings, and buy bottles to take home? Either you are a troll or a fool.

Oh great, we found a fan boy who desperately tries to justify these over priced cars...🙄 So when I said half the price I was talking about the features Tesla has in basic auto pilot. And yes, my 2021 sonata limited can do it all even down to the blind spot view monitor (when you hit the blinker it shows you a video of blind spot). It was $32k. Also has homelink. My Buick can park itself and also has all of the safety suite with the exception of the blind spot view monitor.

My c40 is better than the tesla in everyway except range but we know teslas don't get anywhere near the advertised range and my c40 has actually been better than advertised so we'll call that a wash...it's very close. It has a driver display cluster and was eligible for the federal tax credit. Also came with charging cable with a nema 14-50 adapter and it has the matrix headlights. Oh and it's faster 0-60 than the car it competes with, the model Y lr and it's cheaper, by a lot!

Supercharger network...pshhh...who cares. That's not practical for everyday use and they do that even offer it for free to new buyers. I got 3 years free of electrify america with my c40 and charge point has free DC fast charging at most of their sites. But yea, keep getting bent over by tesla...let them keep removing hardware and software features while steadily raising the price...their reign at the top is over. Maybe 5 years ago when they were the only game in town they could treat people like this but not now...there's competition now. As a matter of fact, since you're such a huge fan, why don't you take this one off my hands when I take delivery. I'm planning on flipping it anyway so it's up for grabs. It's overpriced and you know it, stop trying to justify it...and that's all I have to say about that. Not going back and forth with you.
I hear your point about the C40 because I tested the electric Volvo XC40 and I loved it (and I love Volvos in general), but ended going with a M3 (a MY is a better direct comparison which I also considered but didn't choose for other reasons). I'm not going to dive into the back and forth about which is a "better" car because I think it's all subjective.

But if you're so disappointed with your Tesla ordering experience, why don't you just cancel your order. Sure, you'll lose $250 that goes into Tesla's bottom line, but so does the large profit margin they get from the sale of the car to you. Each individual has their own purchasing power yet you still plan on accepting delivery of your Tesla, and it just provides Tesla positive reinforcement to keep doing what they're doing.

And if you plan on flipping the car immediately, I'm going to assume that you'll likely sell it for a profit because you can in this crazy "used" Tesla car market. And if so, IMO you're not any better than Tesla because you're profiting off your disgruntled experience for what you perceive is an inferior car.

Lastly, I don't consider myself a Tesla fanboy but I am self aware and know that I'm posting in a Tesla forum that is likely comprised of fanboys (to varying degrees). So honestly, what kind of response were you expecting from people here?

And to get back on point, I'm hoping my car comes with matrix headlights but it's not a deal breaker for me to reject delivery of my car. To each their own.

Last edited:
Matrix headlights would be a nice to have but it was not even on my radar when I ordered the car in February. It's one thing if I ordered the car because it was something Tesla promised me and I wanted, and another thing to take something away that I never expected and was that concerned about in the first place. Everyone is different and has their triggers. For me removing Track Mode, for example, would be a deal breaker.

If you look at the industry there are lots of manufacturers either removing or having to add features post sale because of supply chain issues, this has been going on since 2020. My Wrangler 4XE, for example only came with one key fob and I was told it could be up to 90 days to get another key fob. It took about 9 weeks.

[posting in agreeance]

The Volvo XC40 should be compared to the Model Y. Not even his C40 example. The car hasn't been out that long to see price hikes. I don't follow that model, but it looks like the price has already been raised in Europe (see link provided below). Ford has raised the prices on their Mach-E already. It's a supply chain issue. Prices have risen on those cars because of lithium and other materials that aren't used in ICE cars. The argument simply irrelevant.

Comparing the Camry, Sonata, and Accord is a fool's argument as well. You can easily these models come with more features than a BMW or Porsche at a far lower price point. Cool story, stick with those cars. Those cars don't offer the same driving dynamics, performance, etc.. Completely different platforms and target demographics. It's one thing to voice your displeasure, it's another to make completely asinine arguments.

Again, if you are that unhappy with what you will be paying for, don't pay for it. Who in their right mind would say this is my first and last Tesla before even owning one? Would you go to a wine tasting, completely hate the tastings, and buy bottles to take home? Either you are a troll or a fool.
This is a public forum and that was his or hers opinion. You like many people on this forum are apologists for Tesla's shady business practices and horrid EDD system of lies.

Last edited:
Lets stop making it a black and white issue (like people were making it when they removed mobile connector, which people can just buy for 250$. Those rants were super stupid). No need to either defend Tesla blindly or think that Tesla is a monster. There are great things about Tesla and everyone knows that, and then there is the headlight issue that we all know about too.

In regards to the headlights, the issue isnt about the car not coming with matrix headlights, but a future situation where they start adding matrix headlights back in a couple months or so, and then come out with a new software based feature for matrix headlights later in the year. That would be a bad thing for people who got their delivery in the limited 2022 window when the cars werent coming with the headlights (yes all other features about Tesla are great). This issue can be alleviated, if incase this happens, and Tesla allows retrofitting of the headlights free of charge. But because this situation hasnt happened, so we cant talk about the retrofit either too.

Lets wait and see how the next months pan out and in the meantime get confirmation from Tesla that if they do start supporting the advanced functionality of the matrix headlights, they would allow retrofitting free of charge.

As for the conversation about other EVs, yah lets not bring them in discussion as they are years behind Tesla.

And if you plan on flipping the car immediately, I'm going to assume that you'll likely sell it for a profit because you can in this crazy "used" Tesla car market. And if so, IMO you're not any better than Tesla because you're profiting off your disgruntled experience for what you perceive is an inferior car.
My take on this. I'm not losing the $250 order fee. I'm not donating money to them. I will wait it out, accept the car and sell it for a profit. It's payment for putting up with their shady sales tactics through-out the order process.

Reactions: Panel Gaps
This is a public forum and that was his or hers opinion. You like many people on this forum are apologists for Tesla's shady business practices and horrid EDD system of lies.
I am just curious how many people have ordered a car from another manufacturer since 2020 and had a great experience. I have my own personal issues with Tesla's ordering system but I can tell you it is still 100 times better than GM's ordering system for the C8 Corvette, Ford's ordering system for the Bronco and Shelby GT500. BMW has a classic bait and switch system in place for the i4/M50 right now in New England (I later figured out it was a 1 year wait after multiple dealers implied they have cars in stock and ready for sale which they did not). Want a popular Toyota? Dealers have told me it's a crapshoot and anywhere from a 2-6 month wait but it could be longer. And then of course you have the dealers where you order a car at MSRP and then once it arrives they add on dealer markup that they did not tell you about after they took your deposit and you wait.

So yes, Tesla can be frustrating but this is the new world we live in with parts supply issues, shipping issues, and way more demand than supply. It's not a market for the feeble.

There's a fundamental difference between not liking some aspects of a product than saying this is the worst product ever, and still buying it. That is asinine.

Comparing Apples and Oranges. Asinine. Comparing a Camry to a Tesla. Asinine.

There are other subforums to discuss those cars.

Apologist? Nah, realist. I understand the industry. It's not always black and white. You're dissatisfied. That's fine, you can voice your opinion. To call someone with a differing opinion simply an apologist? Ehhh. Whatever makes you feel better. I have the right to voice my opinion too. You didn't refute any my points though, you simply resorted to name-calling. If that continues, I'll simply ignore it. If you want to have an intelligent discussion, I'm all for it. We can all be adults and disagree without being rude.

Last edited:
Yes I think people have a hard time with being real based on the current environment. I am sure Tesla would prefer to have cars made and delivered to customers within 8 weeks of ordering, without any parts constraints, but this is simply not reality.

The good news is that if you really want the matrix headlights you can simply keep pushing your delivery back or rejecting cars until you get the one you want without losing any money. You may have to pay for a price increase at some point but in the big scheme of things you can get the car you want and not lose the $250.

Matrix headlights would be a nice to have but it was not even on my radar when I ordered the car in February. It's one thing if I ordered the car because it was something Tesla promised me and I wanted, and another thing to take something away that I never expected and was that concerned about in the first place. Everyone is different and has their triggers. For me removing Track Mode, for example, would be a deal breaker.

If you look at the industry there are lots of manufacturers either removing or having to add features post sale because of supply chain issues, this has been going on since 2020. My Wrangler 4XE, for example only came with one key fob and I was told it could be up to 90 days to get another key fob. It took about 9 weeks.
Yes, supply issues are happening across the industry, but other manufacturers seem to be a lot more transparent about it than Tesla.

They will reduce the MSRP for missing features and/or promise to add them back later after delivery for not added cost.

Tesla just takes things away without crediting the price and without any notice, not even internally to SAs and service centers, and hopes that no one will notice or they won’t care anyways and still take the car.

BMW has a credit for lumbar delete. Tesla just takes away lumbar because of “low usage”. Polestar reduced the price of the package with pixel headlights when they couldn’t get supply. Mini has an alarm delete credit. Etc etc.