Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does this make sense if Tesla deliberately hide the downgrade during delivery?
Matrix headlights are not a line item in your build spec. In other words you were never promised them, I don't see how you can fight to have them added after the fact.

Your best bet is to reject the car and get a new VIN/car if you really want them. If your car has not been built yet I think there's a much better chance you will get the Matrix lights than not. I would not stress unless you confirm your car was built with them and then you just need to decide if you want to reject the car and wait or take it.

I rejected the VIN through the SA today. The car had reflector lights, a LR with a 238xxx VIN. SA did warn me that reflector headlights are going to be standard going forward and are not part of the build specifications, so can change and there is no promise that you'd receive matrix headlights next time. If you get reflector lights next time and reject, Tesla can cancel your order and keep your $250 order fee. They did say that if I rejected my VIN, that I may not get a car until late in the year due to demand. It isn't that big of a deal, but if they do take advantage of the adaptive features of projector headlights, I'd like to be part of that.

I rejected the VIN through the SA today. The car had reflector lights, a LR with a 238xxx VIN. SA did warn me that reflector headlights are going to be standard going forward and are not part of the build specifications, so can change and there is no promise that you'd receive matrix headlights next time. If you get reflector lights next time and reject, Tesla can cancel your order and keep your $250 order fee. They did say that if I rejected my VIN, that I may not get a car until late in the year due to demand. It isn't that big of a deal, but if they do take advantage of the adaptive features of projector headlights, I'd like to be part of that.
SA is just wrong and just trying to scare you into accepting it.

Newer builds have already been reported to use matrix lights again. And people that reject a VIN seem to get another one in a few days to weeks, not put to the end of the line.

SA is just wrong and just trying to scare you into accepting it.

Newer builds have already been reported to use matrix lights again. And people that reject a VIN seem to get another one in a few days to weeks, not put to the end of the line.
Yeah, I know. I’m okay waiting and throwing the dice. It is a bummer about trying to convince people to take it, but I get it, it’s a mess to reassign cars because of some picky buyer.

Reactions: Gor88 and E90alex
Just checked my local store again. Every Model 3 I saw with a May build date had matrix lights. Didn’t take a picture of all of them but heres a few.

A lot of the 4/23-4/25 cars with old lights were still there too. Presumably waiting for charge ports. 🤷🏻‍♂️
70723175-4E6A-4A9C-852B-115EBBE01924.jpeg
7DF4C0F9-1EC9-4B2C-A5D4-5ABAD1CBADB0.jpeg
AD97A83E-F406-47A2-AC12-80739802ECB9.jpeg
A2EEAB88-BF45-449C-9ABF-657A0EBEF1D0.jpeg

It was never an advertised or listed feature so they legally never offered anything less than they promised.

I’m not a lawyer or affiliated with Tesla in any way but just being realistic that people would have a much better chance rejecting a car and hoping the next VIN will have the matrix lights than to expect Tesla to change out your headlights after delivery.

I hope I’m wrong though, but historically Tesla has never offered retrofits.
If your car didn’t come with a rear trunk lid would you complain?

Reactions: Panel Gaps
If your car didn’t come with a rear trunk lid would you complain?
That’s a bit different if it’s missing a part needed to be complete. The old headlights are still functional and not missing any capabilities as far as Tesla is concerned because the matrix capability was more of a hidden bonus feature and not something specifically listed or documented as coming with the car.

To me, if customers A, B, C and customers E, F, G got matrix lights, then I, customer D, feel entitled to those lights too
Absolutely. That’s why I started this thread to spread the information and gather more data points as to which cars are coming with or without the matrix lights.

But I’m just trying to be realistic and saying that if you argue with Tesla to try to get something out of it or to get them to replace the lights after delivery, you’ll likely end up getting nowhere.

Your best recourse is to reject the car if it doesn’t have the matrix lights and hope the next VIN assigned will have them.

If you have already accepted the car then good luck to you to try and get somewhere with Tesla, but fully expect to be stuck with the old lights.

Reactions: Mr. Nuke
The trunk lid isn’t needed for the car to be complete. They could just weld it shut and it would still be ‘complete’. You don’t need access to your trunk for the car to be a car.

but I do agree with you that Tesla won’t do *sugar* about this if you Accept the car.
I don't know why you're trying to argue semantics with me. Not trying to convince you or anyone else to take the old lights if you don't want them. I started this thread so I'm one of the people that want the matrix lights and will not accept the car without it.

Just like I already said earlier, I'm telling people waiting on their car that realistically Tesla won't do anything for you about the headlights after you accept the car. Headlight issue aside, in the past for build quality issues people were told to accept the car first then schedule a service to have issues corrected, only for Tesla to tell them everything is "within spec" at the service and you just have to live with it.

So if the matrix lights are important to you and your get assigned a car without them, reject the car.

I don't know why you're trying to argue semantics with me. Not trying to convince you or anyone else to take the old lights if you don't want them. I started this thread so I'm one of the people that want the matrix lights and will not accept the car without it.

Just like I already said earlier, I'm telling people waiting on their car that realistically Tesla won't do anything for you about the headlights after you accept the car. Headlight issue aside, in the past for build quality issues people were told to accept the car first then schedule a service to have issues corrected, only for Tesla to tell them everything is "within spec" at the service and you just have to live with it.

So if the matrix lights are important to you and your get assigned a car without them, reject the car.
Because I disagree that they aren’t advertised, even though they aren’t listed. They are clearly in the photos, and they have shown what the lights are capable of.

Reactions: Gor88
The trunk lid isn’t needed for the car to be complete. They could just weld it shut and it would still be ‘complete’. You don’t need access to your trunk for the car to be a car.

but I do agree with you that Tesla won’t do *sugar* about this if you Accept the car.
Trunk lid is required to meet its EPA rating (which Tesla did advertise). Having it completely missing is like missing headlights (which is required under federal standards). A trunk welded shut would also violate federal standards, as there are requirements for emergency exit of trunks in case children are trapped in there (why there is a glow in the dark emergency interior trunk release inside every trunk in the US).

Matrix vs reflector light is a different issue. It is rated both as "good" by IIHS. No Teslas have the actual matrix functionality yet. I guess if you must use a trunk analogy, it's like having a trunk of slightly different size, although Tesla may violate cargo volume specs, so perhaps an even better one is a slightly different trunk opening size.

Long story short, legally, they do not owe you a retrofit. I agree with others, if you want a car with matrix, reject whatever car that doesn't have it. Don't bank on them doing a retrofit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Not That M3
Because I disagree that they aren’t advertised, even though they aren’t listed. They are clearly in the photos, and they have shown what the lights are capable of.
The little picture on the website doesn’t hold much legal ground. All they need to do is just claim the picture was rendered incorrectly and isn’t representative of the actual car.

They have shown “TESLA” spelled out with the lights at some events but never anywhere have explicitly said “these headlights with this capability will be included on all Model 3”.

Attachments

• D92D64CF-CF79-4F2F-A384-EFDC10DE6FED.jpeg
    D92D64CF-CF79-4F2F-A384-EFDC10DE6FED.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: TSLone
- A bit confused with some of the VINs. The definitive guide to the headlights issue on page 1 says that 238 VINs are in the clear, but I've now seen multiple people with 238 VINs saying they have the old lights. What's up here?

- Regarding the false advertising point, it's a tricky one. On the one hand, you're absolutely right that Tesla never specifically advertises parts with that degree of specificity .. surely, in part, in case they have to do something exactly like this.

On the other hand, if there are eventual software updates that specifically require the Matrix lights, the situation would get a bit trickier. Unless terms explicitly say otherwise, everyone who buys this generation of Tesla Model 3 Long Range would be entitled to the same functionality updates, over the same life cycle. So if there's an update that allows for the adaptive lighting ... or if there's an update to FSD that requires matrix lights, that would seemingly create some sort of problem?

- It's also worth noting that I've spoken to a service rep (and it seems others have as well) who was not only claiming to be unaware of this issue but categorically says "that has to be just a rumor, as there's no way Tesla would have actually delivered cars with different parts to consumers." If a change like this shocks her foundational understanding of how Tesla operates, then I don't see how she could turn around and categorically refuse to put a retrofit order in writing.

VINs are given in batches and not a reliable indicator to go by. Some 238xxx are built after 241xxx and vice versa. If you can find the factory gate/build date then that’s the best indicator.

Unless you have a much later VIN like 251xxx or something, which seems have reverted back to matrix so far. No telling if they will

Reactions: bugnotfound
- It's also worth noting that I've spoken to a service rep (and it seems others have as well) who was not only claiming to be unaware of this issue but categorically says "that has to be just a rumor, as there's no way Tesla would have actually delivered cars with different parts to consumers." If a change like this shocks her foundational understanding of how Tesla operates, then I don't see how she could turn around and categorically refuse to put a retrofit order in writing.
Clearly she is new to Tesla :)

• Funny
Reactions: mswlogo