Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My VIN is in the 246xxx - looks like the old headlights.
For those of you that have scheduled the mobile fix has Tesla said when they will do the install?
Thanks
I wouldn’t expect Tesla to swap out headlights despite what some SAs have claimed. Either reject the car with old lights or prepare to just live with the old lights forever.

Just a heads up. Yes VIN can be used to approximate if your car has matrix headlights or not, but that estimate can be off. The actual way to distinguish if a car has matrix headlights or not is by looking at the build date, and calling and asking your SA about the part number.

The build date for cars with old headlights, if I am not mistaken was 04/23 - 04/27. Anything outside the range has matrix headlights.

Just a heads up. Yes VIN can be used to approximate if your car has matrix headlights or not, but that estimate can be off. The actual way to distinguish if a car has matrix headlights or not is by looking at the build date, and calling and asking your SA about the part number.

The build date for cars with old headlights, if I am not mistaken was 04/23 - 04/27. Anything outside the range has matrix headlights.
So if my M3P isn't built yet, it will most likely have the Matrix HL?

Would you accept an otherwise-good car that came with cheap-ass Pep Boys tires because Tesla couldn't get Michelin or Pirelli?
Tires can be swapped out easily. Headlights, not so much as it requires additional software changes. And dont think it is easy to find brand new matrix headlights that fit tesla, unlike the tires.
If I were to compare things, tire is somewhat same as lack of mobile connector. You can easily remedy the issue. Headlights is a different type of issue which cannot be easily remedied.

Just dropped off my MYP at the new Las Vegas SC for minor service. Checked all the Model 3 (of various trim levels) and all had matrix headlights with VIN above 248xxx. Highest I saw was a 252xxx. Total count of matrix headlights M3s were around 10 total. There were only 2 cars that had reflector headlights and were around 241xxx VIN.

Definitely looks like a fresher batch of cars at this SC and showing all matrix headlights for this fresh batch.

I had to leave and couldnt get full details but will be there again for pickup so I can answer any questions ya’ll may have.

Would you accept an otherwise-good car that came with cheap-ass Pep Boys tires because Tesla couldn't get Michelin or Pirelli?
Depends on if it still meets the EPA standard and original ratings (Teslas with different tire packages have different ratings). FYI Tesla have used Hankook tires very early on in the Model 3, and recently they have sometimes substituted Michelin with them:
You are pretty much SOL in terms of fighting it, given Tesla does not specify which tires they use.

The matrix vs reflector however both are rated good by IIHS (only the very earliest 2018 ones were rated acceptable).

How does this make sense if Tesla deliberately hide the downgrade during delivery?
It was never an advertised or listed feature so they legally never offered anything less than they promised.

I’m not a lawyer or affiliated with Tesla in any way but just being realistic that people would have a much better chance rejecting a car and hoping the next VIN will have the matrix lights than to expect Tesla to change out your headlights after delivery.

I hope I’m wrong though, but historically Tesla has never offered retrofits.