Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks - wondering if there was "space round the edges" for spares given the horror stories about replacement windscreen times.
The essence of RoRos is that everything is wheeled in and off.
Spare parts etc are normally shipped via container. This is usually a cheap and very fast method however at the moment it's neither.
There is still a shortage of containers in China although the cost of new containers is showing a reducing trend.
Shipping companies are being accussed of profiteering and Governments are under pressure to try and force a reduction in the currently high shipping costs. This will prove to be a difficult nut to crack unless there is clear evidence of anti-competitive practices.

• Informative
Reactions: XHabjab
Quick question for the experts... how close to the delivery do you normally get the VIN assigned? I have the feeling that my M3 LR (ordered mid-Feb) is coming on this Mornings Chorus shipment but I still don't have a VIN assigned.
It is usual that formal Notification of a VIN from Tesla only happens about 2 weeks before delivery, although VIN's are often discoverable by the client ahead of this formal notification, which is really the first sign of some certainty. The discoverable VINS only manifest themselves when the cars are on the high seas.....Morning Chorus is on the journey thought to be crammed with Model 3's so expect to see some VIN movement (in line with above) over the next week or so.

Hopefully that helps a little

Probably wrong on this but didn't they start to get allocated when the ship neared the Suez
Its not linked to geography...but when the ship gets to Suez its normally 2 weeks remaining of journey to Southhampton, which I suspect is why people make the connection with Suez. Best to think of it about two weeks as I indicated above..in my humble opinion.... or else keep Suez in mind...its the same timescale

Reactions: debrooker
Volume on modern ships.
Some of the older vessels may have mass restrictions on the upper decks.
Hi new to the forum, so I'm sorry if I'm asking things that has been covered in the past.
Regarding shipments in general;
1. How many different ship sizes, in terms of no of cars come to the UK.
2. How many per quarter.
3. Are they always part shipments, i.e. have some cars already been offloaded on way, or afterwards.
4. Does the mix vary between M3 and Y from ship to ship.

Sorry if this last one is off topic, but I notice that M3's and Y's have cabin overheat protect. Is anyone concerned about the cars sitting at the docks in China for days in 40C of heat? Presumably, cabin overheat will not be active while they're parked up waiting for shipment?

This was true. However Q2 of this year, VINS were being allocated around Singapore. It could change at any moment.
VIN allocation has changed for us down here in NZ/AU. We now get vins assigned as early as the same day as the cars build date on the final invoice. Australian customers are getting VINs allocated at 10pm local, so it seems that rather than an office worker in Sydney doing it its now happening closer to the production line or maybe even automated.

Hi new to the forum, so I'm sorry if I'm asking things that has been covered in the past.
Regarding shipments in general;
1. How many different ship sizes, in terms of no of cars come to the UK.
2. How many per quarter.
3. Are they always part shipments, i.e. have some cars already been offloaded on way, or afterwards.
4. Does the mix vary between M3 and Y from ship to ship.

Sorry if this last one is off topic, but I notice that M3's and Y's have cabin overheat protect. Is anyone concerned about the cars sitting at the docks in China for days in 40C of heat? Presumably, cabin overheat will not be active while they're parked up waiting for shipment?
At the moment all the Tesla shipments to the UK come from Shanghai. This year we are seeing more dedicated UK-only shipments rather than the more usual Southampton and Zeebrugge mix. A full shipment is around 4500 cars.
The number of ships calling at Southampton varies but in a normal quarter I would expect to see at least 8. (or 4 dedicated UK ships)
Normally there would be a mix of MY and M3. It's only because the MY production line was closed that MORNING CHORUS is primarily M3. The M3 production line is now closed until early August and so I expect at least one UK shipment to be MY heavy.
The cabin heat issue is a non-issue - all cars are subject to this, it's just that Tesla have a means to control it if necessary. Like I did today at Tescos, I left the car with aircon running. I didn't have to, but for 10 mins I think it was worthwhile.

Sunday 17 Jul 22

Tesla Ship Tracker

MORNING CHORUS is approaching the Straits of Taiwan. She's battling a strong southerly wind and waves of 2.5m which is affecting her forward speed. She's currently making about 14kts across the ground but that should increase tomorrow once she enters the South China Sea. There may be the odd MY onboard but for all intent and purposes this is a Model 3 shipment of around 4500 cars. ETA Southampton 15 Aug.

GLOVIS SUMMIT is now alongside Shanghai South. We don't know her destination but I am going to assume it is Zeebrugge. She is a much larger vessel than Morning Chorus, wider and taller, and so has an extra 15% carrying capacity. I therefore expect she could be loading around 5200 cars.
Again I'm expecting this shipment to be primarily Model 3s.

Over in San Francisco GLOVIS CORONA is alongside Pier 80. Again, we don't know her destination but it is most likely going to be Taiwan.

Links of interest
Glovis Summit’s next voyage (Voyage GSM055) is due to depart Teesport on 22nd August 2022, therefore she is heading for the channel after Shanghai. I assume this would indicate Zeebrugge over Koper given the timings.

Edit: Sheerness 24th August 2022. Teesport first.

Last edited:
Glovis Summit’s next voyage (Voyage GSM055) is due to depart Sheerness on 24th August 2022, therefore she is heading for the channel after Shanghai. I assume this would indicate Zeebrugge over Koper given the timings.

I'm aware of that hence why I tipped GLOVIS SUMMIT at the end of last month however there is no guarantee that Koper is not an option - she has plenty of time to unload in Koper and get to Sheerness. Koper is unlikely though in my opinion and I have always said that my money is on Zeebrugge.
Assuming GLOVIS SUMMIT departs tomorrow I estimate an arrival in Zeebrugge around 17 Aug. That leaves a big gap between schedules and I wonder whether she will take a trip up to Oslo. Just a thought....

I'm aware of that hence why I tipped GLOVIS SUMMIT at the end of last month however there is no guarantee that Koper is not an option - she has plenty of time to unload in Koper and get to Sheerness. Koper is unlikely though in my opinion and I have always said that my money is on Zeebrugge.
Assuming GLOVIS SUMMIT departs tomorrow I estimate an arrival in Zeebrugge around 17 Aug. That leaves a big gap between schedules and I wonder whether she will take a trip up to Oslo. Just a thought....
Sorry, I wasn’t aware you knew. I mixed it up, it’s departing Teesport first on the 22nd. But you knew that! Ignore me.

• Funny
Reactions: Toblerone
Monday 18 Jul 22

Tesla Ship Tracker Live position updates via satellite.

MORNING CHORUS is now established in the smoother waters (at the moment) of the South China Sea. She was maintaining over 16 kts for most of today but has now reduced back down to 13kts - no idea why. She's still on schedule though and should arrive off Singapore for a refuel early on Saturday morning. ETA Southampton 15 Aug.

GLOVIS SUMMIT continues to load at Shanghai South. I think she will depart for Zeebrugge tomorrow and I calculate her ETA to be around 17 Aug.

VIKING PASSAMA has arrived off Shanghai. I know everyone in Australia reckons their cars are on MORNING CLARA but I think VIKING PASSAMA is more likely. She will be off to Brisbane 03 Aug, Port Kembla 08 Aug and Melbourne 12 Aug. I know some in Oz have EDD in Jul but then, this is Tesla..
We shall see....

Over in San Francisco GLOVIS CORONA remains alongside and I have yet to find out her destination. The next ship to arrive will be GLOVIS SUN on 28 Jul.

Links of interest

Sorry, I wasn’t aware you knew. I mixed it up, it’s departing Teesport first on the 22nd. But you knew that! Ignore me.
I actually didn't know she was going to Teesside.
I spotted an itinerary last month that had her in Antwerp on 25 Aug and so I knew she was heading our way.
I'm always grateful for extra info and I am not infallible and apologise if my reply came over a bit snooty!

I actually didn't know she was going to Teesside.
I spotted an itinerary last month that had her in Antwerp on 25 Aug and so I knew she was heading our way.
I'm always grateful for extra info and I am not infallible and apologise if my reply came over a bit snooty!
No problem at all. Just passing on info found.

Random question, is your tracking strictly cars or do you happen to have an idea on powerwall shipments.

Status
Not open for further replies.