Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have now seen evidence that HOEGH TRAVELLER is carrying Teslas to Zeebrugge with an ETA of 15 Oct.
Whether she will unload Teslas at her first stop in Le Havre as well is presently undetermined.
This signifies a major change in the drumbeat of Tesla shipments with cars at sea over a quarter end - something previously avoided by Tesla at any cost.
We don't know how many cars are onboard. The last shipment using Hoegh had 2000.
It will cause a one-off penalty against the Q3 figures but ensures that Q4 starts with a bang.
If you wanted to ensure Q4 figures were above expectations, this is the kind of move that would be required.
It is also brings in to question whether there is a part load of Teslas onboard GRAND VENUS which arrives in Zeebrugge on 09 Oct.
Unfortunately, there isn't a method to check to see whether a car is onboard this ship.
Nevertheless, GRAND VENUS is back as a suspect.
I like when I was right ;-). I told you that plenty people had EDD in mid October to end of October, it will be a breaking record Q4 ;-) now we got VIN like 3 days after the ship leave the port.

This is a stretch for the Shipping movements thread, but in the absence of a Road Movement thread, does anyone have expertise or understanding of the logistics between port and collection points. Many of us are getting our deliveries bumped by a week due to the Queen passing - a day or two I could understand, but a week surely must have another cause.

I'm assuming the port will shut on Monday, but the Glovis Sunrise should have emptied by then - so that leaves a challenge with car transporters..... Any ideas?

This is a stretch for the Shipping movements thread, but in the absence of a Road Movement thread, does anyone have expertise or understanding of the logistics between port and collection points. Many of us are getting our deliveries bumped by a week due to the Queen passing - a day or two I could understand, but a week surely must have another cause.

I'm assuming the port will shut on Monday, but the Glovis Sunrise should have emptied by then - so that leaves a challenge with car transporters..... Any ideas?
Whilst this is the wrong thread here's my take:

There are now no collections on Monday 19th. There are also likely no car movements, car preps etc. Cars are delivered and prepped more or less just in time. So if you were collecting on Monday, Tuesday or possibly Wednesday you are likely to be impacted by this.

So the question becomes why are you not just bumped by 1 day? Well doing that would mean not doing something else thus impacting more customers and so on. So Tesla have a choice: impact a small number of customers by a large amount (by pushing them to the end of the chain where they have spaces to fit them in) or impact a very large number of customers by shuffling everyone collecting Q3 on or after the 19th by 1 day.

They choose to impact fewer people as it's going to cause fewer complaints and fewer changes to their plans

Whilst this is the wrong thread here's my take:

There are now no collections on Monday 19th. There are also likely no car movements, car preps etc. Cars are delivered and prepped more or less just in time. So if you were collecting on Monday, Tuesday or possibly Wednesday you are likely to be impacted by this.

So the question becomes why are you not just bumped by 1 day? Well doing that would mean not doing something else thus impacting more customers and so on. So Tesla have a choice: impact a small number of customers by a large amount (by pushing them to the end of the chain where they have spaces to fit them in) or impact a very large number of customers by shuffling everyone collecting Q3 on or after the 19th by 1 day.

They choose to impact fewer people as it's going to cause fewer complaints and fewer changes to their plans
This is the truth! Bump 1 set of people 8 days down the road rather that 8 sets of people 1 day.

The sacrifice of the few for the good of the many.

It’s also not Teslas fault so I don’t think it fair for people to be soured by this event. Even Centre Parcs is physically evicting all it’s guests for 1 day rather than letting them stay on the Parc. For some people this is mid holiday and they have no where to go for 24 hours.

@Mr Miserable Many of us have had our EDD changed to Nov 6 - Dec 13. In your view, if we were to get a Q4 delivery, when would the ship need to leave Shanghai and arrive in Southampton by? I am just thinking about Christmas as I’m not sure If Tesla do many handovers over the Xmas period. It could also potentially have an impact on the ability for the standard end of quarter rush. Ever the optimist, would Tesla prefer to send a stream of RoRo’s rather than focus on a Dec onslaught?

Wednesday 14 Sep 22

Click HERE to see a wonderful map of the world. Superimposed on it are the latest positions, updated via satellite, of confirmed Tesla ships.

Those ships are:

GLOVIS SUNRISE is presently crossing the Bay of Biscay. She is heading for Southampton where she is due to arrive in the wee small hours of Friday morning. It's worthy of note that her departure from Southampton has been further delayed to midday 19 Sep which would tend to indicate that there will be no Teslas left onboard when she arrives in Zeebrugge. The competition results were announced earlier today.

GLOVIS SUN continues to maintain an average of around 18kts as she passes to the south of Sicily and is heading for Zeebrugge with an ETA of 20 Sep.

GLOVIS CRYSTAL is in the Mediterranean and hasn't updated her AIS destination (again!) She should arrive in Koper on Friday evening, 16 Sep.

GLOVIS COURAGE is now in the Red Sea. She is bound for Barcelona with an ETA of 20 Sep.

HOEGH TRAVELLER is bound for Le Havre (12 Oct) and Zeebrugge on 15 Oct. She is just entering the South China Sea south of Taiwan. She avoided the worst of Tyhpoon Muifa by doglegging around the Japanese island of Okinawa.
She is known, so far, to have some Model 3s onboard. We don't know how many in total.
I have been doing some digging and determined that the cars I have seen the VINs for were manufactured in August.
I can also state that in the Shanghai GF no production whatsoever for the EU has taken place in September.
Although the cars are being shipped over a quarter-end this is clearly not a full scheduled shipment but rather a shipment of cars that failed to be shipped, for whatever reason, on their scheduled ship.

On that basis, I am pretty confident that this shipment does not actually represent a change in the Tesla business model.

I'm still keen to get an idea of the number of Teslas onboard and so if you have your VIN enter it HERE and it will tell you whether your car is onboard. This only works for cars onboard Hoegh ships. Do let me know if a search is successful and please provide me with at least the first three numbers eg 620XXX.

Typhoon Muifa passed over Shanghai a couple of hours ago. Before it arrived the typhoon had already decayed slightly to become a category 1 storm with peak winds of around 90mph and wave heights of 27 feet.
Looking at the weather at Shanghai Pudong airport they are currently experiencing light rain with gust of 39kts but they experienced earlier some very heavy rain with winds of 66kts.
Most ships kept clear of the typhoon's path by holding out to sea in the east. Some went as far as Japan. They are now returning because, if nothing else, there is another typhoon heading north towards Japan! Typhoon Nanmadol should not reach Shanghai but hook to the north and hit the southern Japanese island of Kyushu.
The Shanghai RoRo berths remain empty for the moment but I expect by this time tomorrow they will be back in business.

Please check out the Links of interest There are some excellent links there which may answer any questions you have.

I guess the problem is that they have confirmed delivery appointments for every day until the end of the month. The dilemma is, do they delay everybody by a day and therefore screw thousands of peoples arrangements or do they just cancel Monday's appointments and try to shoehorn those cancellations into the remaining days. I suggest they are doing the latter - it's just bad luck for those with appointments on the 19th. I feel your pain.

@Mr Miserable Many of us have had our EDD changed to Nov 6 - Dec 13. In your view, if we were to get a Q4 delivery, when would the ship need to leave Shanghai and arrive in Southampton by? I am just thinking about Christmas as I’m not sure If Tesla do many handovers over the Xmas period. It could also potentially have an impact on the ability for the standard end of quarter rush. Ever the optimist, would Tesla prefer to send a stream of RoRo’s rather than focus on a Dec onslaught?
Seriously, there will be an end of quarter push. In Holland in 2019 a shipload of Model 3s arrived on 20 Dec. They all had to be collected off the dockside by 31 Dec. They were, and so it was repeated in 2020 on 18 Dec and 20 Dec in Oslo!
For the UK the last ship to arrive in in 2020 was on 15 Dec and last year it was on 13 Dec. Deliveries were still being made on 31 Dec.
I would expect no different this year and so I would expect the last ship of 2022 to the UK to depart Shanghai around 14 Nov.
If it were to arrive to meet your 06 Nov EDD I would expect it to depart around 10 Oct.

Seriously, there will be an end of quarter push. In Holland in 2019 a shipload of Model 3s arrived on 20 Dec. They all had to be collected off the dockside by 31 Dec. They were, and so it was repeated in 2020 on 18 Dec and 20 Dec in Oslo!
For the UK the last ship to arrive in in 2020 was on 15 Dec and last year it was on 13 Dec. Deliveries were still being made on 31 Dec.
I would expect no different this year and so I would expect the last ship of 2022 to the UK to depart Shanghai around 14 Nov.
If it were to arrive to meet your 06 Nov EDD I would expect it to depart around 10 Oct.
@Mr Miserable Thank you for the advice and review of previous years. I am in the Military and I’m not due to be here over the Xmas/ Jan period. Very disappointed if I miss out on Q4 and have to delay to Q1 2023. May the Tesla gods be kind!

@Mr Miserable Thank you for the advice and review of previous years. I am in the Military and I’m not due to be here over the Xmas/ Jan period. Very disappointed if I miss out on Q4 and have to delay to Q1 2023. May the Tesla gods be kind!
If there is a push before the end of the year I'll have to fly over from the US to pick it up lol (i'm military too), drop it off at my in laws then fly back for a few weeks lol.

Reactions: oneear
Does anyone have an idea of the range of VINs on that Zeebrugge ship? I'm 6083XX and heard nothing so far from leasing company
From my experience Tesla will send you a text message saying Tesla Action required when your car is due for delivery and then the lease company is notified at the same time so can ask them for the VIN and registration. Jump on the insurance as soon as you can to lock the price as has gone up.

From my experience Tesla will send you a text message saying Tesla Action required when your car is due for delivery and then the lease company is notified at the same time so can ask them for the VIN and registration. Jump on the insurance as soon as you can to lock the price as has gone up.
Our lease company covers everything. So don't have to worry about tax/insurance etc.

almost there .....
1663242158446.png

Status
Not open for further replies.